Re: 150 year old civil war monument in florida is getting torn down today/tomorr

Author Topic: Re: 150 year old civil war monument in florida is getting torn down today/tomorr  (Read 2541 times)

right. states that explicitly allowed slaves ceded from the union, and then later more states that explicitly allowed slaves joined because they believed that they have the right to keep slaves. it's not like the war started because of deep seated issues that the north had with the enslavement of black people and civil rights or anything
i'll admit it was a huge factor but not the main reason, tge north and the south just hated each other for many reasons including pro/anti slavery

i'll admit it was a huge factor but not the main reason, tge north and the south just hated each other for many reasons including pro/anti slavery
some schools teach/suggest this, but the reality is it was entirely over slavery. the other issues werent severe enough to push the southerners anywhere close to outright secession. slavery to them was a way of life, while all the other issues were economic/political, and we all know how modern americans are if they feel their way of life is under threat.

the difference is back then *everyone* in the south had the same perspective, so their “protest” turned into “forget you north, you cant boss us around”. the historical record very clearly points to slavery being the core issue, not the rest of the political stuff - if it was the rest of the stuff that was the more significant part of why they seceded, they would have done so long before lincoln became president.

Quote from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederate_States_Constitution
According to an 1861 speech delivered by the Alabama politician Robert Hardy Smith, the State of Alabama declared its secession from the United States to preserve and to perpetuate the practice of slavery, the debate over which he referred to as the "Bro quarrel." In his speech, Smith praised the Confederate constitution for its lack of euphemisms and its succinct protections of the right to own "Bro" slaves:

We have dissolved the late Union chiefly because of the Bro quarrel. Now, is there any man who wished to reproduce that strife among ourselves? And yet does not he, who wished the slave trade left for the action of Congress, see that he proposed to open a Pandora's box among us and to cause our political arena again to resound with this discussion. Had we left the question unsettled, we should, in my opinion, have sown broadcast the seeds of discord and death in our Constitution. I congratulate the country that the strife has been put to rest forever, and that American slavery is to stand before the world as it is, and on its own merits. We have now placed our domestic institution, and secured its rights unmistakably, in the Constitution. We have sought by no euphony to hide its name. We have called our Broes 'slaves', and we have recognized and protected them as persons and our rights to them as property.

— Robert Hardy Smith, An Address to the Citizens of Alabama on the Constitution and Laws of the Confederate States of America, 1861.[46][47][48]
The Georgia Democrat Alexander H. Stephens, who would become the Confederate vice president, stated within his Cornerstone Speech that the Confederate constitution was "decidedly better than" the American one, as the former "put at rest, forever, all the agitating questions relating to our peculiar institution. African slavery as it exists amongst us; the proper status of the Bro in our form of civilization. This was the immediate cause of the late rupture and present revolution. Jefferson in his forecast, had anticipated this, as the 'rock upon which the old Union would split.' He was right."[49]

in what way does "chiefly because of" not mean "the main reason"
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 08:19:13 PM by Aide33 »

welp stuff, guess i'm wrong lamof. no clue why or how a nationwide curriculum in over 5000 school districts either failed to or refused to provide that information.

welp stuff, guess i'm wrong lamof. no clue why or how a nationwide curriculum in over 5000 school districts either failed to or refused to provide that information.
i'd suggest you read up a lot about it, there has been a specific effort over the years to downplay history by rewriting history books and school curriculums in southern states

i'd suggest you read up a lot about it, there has been a specific effort over the years to downplay history by rewriting history books and school curriculums in southern states
further proof that the whole 2-party constant fighting is gonna lead to the downfall of the usa