U.S.A. Politics Thread

Poll

I have posted a possibility for the election outcome in 6 variations. Choose your preferred below.

A. https://i.imgur.com/F6TVPLY.png
8 (34.8%)
B. https://i.imgur.com/uuRmNcE.png
3 (13%)
C. https://i.imgur.com/JK2OSsA.png
1 (4.3%)
D. https://i.imgur.com/sl6MVas.png
2 (8.7%)
E. https://i.imgur.com/K1GHlD3.png
2 (8.7%)
F. https://i.imgur.com/br3Sp06.png
7 (30.4%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: U.S.A. Politics Thread  (Read 265369 times)

With any luck I'll raise a small army of highly sensible, vaguely religious mixed kids who hate the government and love to homestead

God, even after 15 years the BLF still contains the worst takes imaginable. Nuclear bad takes. Bottom of the bottom-most barrel of takes.

i dont think you should be talking about how education should be if you aren't well educated.
Great, good thing I am then.
it seems to me you have no clue how college level math works if you think they care about order of things for only arbitrary reasons that can't be conveyed to kids in a simplified form.
It seems you have no clue how bureaucratic and insane the government has been with public education.
They want to teach kids good "practice" for math so "when" they make it to a higher level of math they will understand it.

But because they put the carriage before the horse, they missed the part where the kids learn to crawl before they walk.
And so they end up not even understanding basic math because they decided they needed to practice higher-level math
habits at an elementary level.

and your example doesnt even make sense cause that's not a real example - no grade school math teacher should enforce something like that.
No, they shouldn't and outside of a very specific high-level math it doesn't make sense. That's my point. So why are they
instilling these ideas in elementary math where it has no place in being even mentioned?

in math, with doing things a certain way, you can end up making things a lot more difficult to solve or easier to mess up, which is why specific methods are enforced by teachers sometimes.
Yes.

But telling kids they can't do vertical addition, subtraction, or division is ridiculous.

what the hell is the damn difference between

9 + 10 = ?

and

+10
-------

The difference is 21 and loving 19.
The reason you end up with meme videos like "What's 9 + 10? 21. you stupid"
is because they're not teaching kids to understand the logic of math, they're teaching them
to understand the practice of memorization. Which is loving asinine.
You want kids to learn potentially infinite amounts of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division exclusively by memorization?

Memorization of Multiplication of numbers 1-12 by 1-12 is understandable, but they still taught the logic behind why you did it, beyond
Just stating how it worked of course.

Logic in math will not click with every student by just simply stating some boring long-winded definition. It needs to be shown and
conveyed by example.

And expecting students to memorize every math equation instead of learning the logic behind them is like asking a calculus student
to learn calculus exclusively through this format:

What is the derivative of the the function of x when the function of x is equal to x to the power of five with a coefficient of twelve plus x to the power of three with a coefficient of seven plus x to the power of e with a coefficient of negative one plus x to the power of zero with a coefficient five?

It's confusing, convoluted, over-thought and misses the most important problem you need to over-come when you're teaching anything.
learning to unlearn what you've learned, so you can understand what you need to explain in seemingly excruciating detail to you, but
in necessary detail to a student.

You don't start teaching English to Elementary kids using graduate level techniques, that'd be insane.
Why are we doing the same thing with Math?

i dont think you should be talking about how education should be if you aren't well educated.
oh yea? then explain this  https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=149802

this is the weirdest hill ive seen you die on and just reinforces everyone's view of you
if this quote is anything to go by, you haven't actually been to a good school.
I've said it once, I'll say it again.
Schools make you conform, reality makes you smart.
And it looks to me that you went to the school of Autistic Riddler's Youth.

It seems you have no clue how bureaucratic and insane the government has been with public education.
They want to teach kids good "practice" for math so "when" they make it to a higher level of math they will understand it.

But because they put the carriage before the horse, they missed the part where the kids learn to crawl before they walk.
And so they end up not even understanding basic math because they decided they needed to practice higher-level math
habits at an elementary level.
i have a little sister and i live in california so i've reexperienced second hand how elementary schools teach math as an adult. it's not as stupid as you're making it sound - surprise, they do actually teach what addition/multiplication/division operations mean, *then* drill students so they memorize how to do it quickly.

the "higher level math habits" you're so vaguely referring to is literally just handling equations horizontally, because "higher level math" notation like in algebra doesn't work vertically

No, they shouldn't and outside of a very specific high-level math it doesn't make sense. That's my point. So why are they
instilling these ideas in elementary math where it has no place in being even mentioned?
what ideas? you still haven't been specific -

-vertical math-
...you're going to die on the hill that math should continue to be taught vertically past elementary school? do you really think doing math horizontally is that hard?

it sounds like to me you fell behind when you were taught how to handle equations horizontally and struggled since then, possibly due to a bad teacher. while i sympathize, this doesn't validate your perspective that "math should be taught vertically as well" because that would create two different notation systems kids would have to learn, which would be far more confusing for most people AND add complications down the line in linear algebra/calculus where vertical notations are used to convey information.

just in case you can't think of why: how would exponents work? parentheses? exponents on parentheses? fractions? exponents that are fractions? subscripts of variables to help identify them? summation symbols? integral symbols? matrices?

Memorization of Multiplication of numbers 1-12 by 1-12 is understandable, but they still taught the logic behind why you did it, beyond
Just stating how it worked of course.

Logic in math will not click with every student by just simply stating some boring long-winded definition. It needs to be shown and
conveyed by example.

And expecting students to memorize every math equation instead of learning the logic behind them is like asking a calculus student
to learn calculus exclusively through this format:
-strawman-
students arent taught to memorize "every math equation" - you're taught to memorize arithmetic and certain operations, and rarely some equations because *you use those equations a lot*. nobody's teaching kids to memorize whats 4635 * 23 or solve for x: x^2 + 2x + 4 = -2x - they're teaching them how to identify and solve those problems.

to brown townogize - teachers are not teaching students how to drive via telling them "memorize turning the wheel left this much while pushing the gas pedal down this much for 2 seconds, followed by turning the wheel right this much [etc]". they teach them the fundamentals (how to turn, how to control how fast you move) and then teach them how to change lanes, complete left turns, parallel park *assuming* they know how to do those more basic things.

if algebra 2 math feels as complicated to you as that example you wrote for calculus, that means you never picked up the fundamental arithmetic steps so well you don't have to think about them at all. by not memorizing, you force yourself to stop and think for every single step, no matter how small, which makes it impossible to do more difficult math cause you cant keep your focus on the higher level logic.

you are both an example of the failure of the school-parenting system, and a living breathing example of the dunning-kruger effect.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 01:02:33 PM by Conan »

im fairly confident that MM has forgotten or never done any higher basic level math courses and his view is purely based on someone that has never done math complain about schools
« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 03:18:10 PM by Aide33 »

...you're going to die on the hill that math should continue to be taught vertically past elementary school? do you really think doing math horizontally is that hard?
Taught past elementary school? no.
Enforced against students so they're not allowed to so much as write the horizontal math down
without getting dinged is not fair, or right.

Also this is how they teach math in elementary school.
it sounds like to me you fell behind when you were taught how to handle equations horizontally and struggled since then, possibly due to a bad teacher. while i sympathize, this doesn't validate your perspective that "math should be taught vertically as well" because that would create two different notation systems kids would have to learn, which would be far more confusing for most people AND add complications down the line in linear algebra/calculus where vertical notations are used to convey information.
????
No, absolutely not.
I've seen friends and family struggle with trying to teach their kids math after their common core schools forced
asinine rules on them, and are teaching a close minded idea that "it doesn't matter if your method gets the correct answer everytime, that's not the
way we taught it."

It's egotistical, ignorant and stupid that students get punished for even trying to do math vertically.

just in case you can't think of why: how would exponents work? parentheses? exponents on parentheses? fractions? exponents that are fractions? subscripts of variables to help identify them? summation symbols? integral symbols? matrices?
I still don't get where your getting this "teach it past elementary" position.
I'm talking about absolutely NOT teaching vertical math Period and
punishing students who dare to do anything not directly taught in class, regardless
of whether or not it's still computationally correct.

To them it doesn't matter. It's about what they teach, not about education.

students arent taught to memorize "every math equation" - you're taught to memorize arithmetic and certain operations, and rarely some equations because *you use those equations a lot*. nobody's teaching kids to memorize whats 4635 * 23 or solve for x: x^2 + 2x + 4 = -2x - they're teaching them how to identify and solve those problems.
Yes, that's their supposed intention. But their design leads to students being pressured into memorizing instead of learning arithmetic. Formulas aren't the same thing.
Memorizing 1 + 1 through 999 + 999 is asinine, but students end up having little choice since teachers deliberately avoid teaching vertical math in any form because of
common core.

to brown townogize - teachers are not teaching students how to drive via telling them "memorize turning the wheel left this much while pushing the gas pedal down this much for 2 seconds, followed by turning the wheel right this much [etc]". they teach them the fundamentals (how to turn, how to control how fast you move) and then teach them how to change lanes, complete left turns, parallel park *assuming* they know how to do those more basic things.
That's how they used to do it. But ever since common core came around, all common sense has gone out the window.

God, even after 15 years the BLF still contains the worst takes imaginable. Nuclear bad takes. Bottom of the bottom-most barrel of takes.

Suck that boot leather harder bitch boy, raise a bunch of sissies that will gather supplies for my bloodchild army to take for free

the vertical math manifesto

Suck that boot leather harder bitch boy, raise a bunch of sissies that will gather supplies for my bloodchild army to take for free

God it must be so sad to be you

rightoids malding about math is a forgotten art

imagine being a conservative twenty-something and not having the balls to write some weird supremacist stuff pie about western exceptionalism in public schools

i love seeing you schmucks argue about politics on a lego forum, and keep falling for the most obvious bait imaginable. even into your 20s and 30s you all still fall for bait used back when duckrolling was a bannable offense

For it to be bait, they would've had to keep this facade up for years. I don't really care at this point since I enjoy arguing on an online lego forum. There is also Poe's law to consider.