Author Topic: Filipe1020's Add-Ons Development Topic - Locked  (Read 51577 times)

Something that always kind of bugged me about steering animations with all vehicles both old and new is the linearity. The steering animation slows down near the center and speeds up near the ends. Physical steering/handling is 1:1 linear, but since I often drive in first person, the non-linear steering wheel animations always throw me off.

Is this something that has to be fixed per vehicle?

it's something that applies to every single Blockland vehicle with a steering wheel, including Speedkarts. Which makes me believe it's something done on a global scale all across the game. Which makes me wonder if there's a workaround that way, changing something in the data of the game itself.
It's because of strafe steering. There are 2 main fields in the vehicle data that effect the way it works:

Code: (speedKart.cs) [Select]
maxSteeringAngle = 0.6;
steeringStrafeSteeringRate = 0.08;

maxSteeringAngle should match animation but it doesn't have to - this determines how far the steering wheel and tires turn. The steering wheel will stop turning once it has reached the end of it's animation but the tires will continue to turn if you set the value really high. If you set the value lower, the steering wheel and tires will properly stop it's animation based on this value.

steeringStrafeSteeringRate is what you are looking for, it controls the speed at which the steering wheel and tires turn. Raising the steeringStrafeSteeringRate will make the steering wheel turn faster, but it will also make the tires turn faster. This becomes a problem when you want the steering wheel to turn slower than the tires, or vise versa

edit: best value seems to be anything between 0.1 and 0.2. anything less and you get the strange steering "slow down" effect, anything more plays the animation and turns the tires too fast
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 02:24:30 PM by Goth77 »

It's because of strafe steering. There are 2 main fields in the vehicle data that effect the way it works:

Code: (speedKart.cs) [Select]
maxSteeringAngle = 0.6;
steeringStrafeSteeringRate = 0.08;

maxSteeringAngle should match animation but it doesn't have to - this determines how far the steering wheel and tires turn. The steering wheel will stop turning once it has reached the end of it's animation but the tires will continue to turn if you set the value really high. If you set the value lower, the steering wheel and tires will properly stop it's animation based on this value.

steeringStrafeSteeringRate is what you are looking for, it controls the speed at which the steering wheel and tires turn. Raising the steeringStrafeSteeringRate will make the steering wheel turn faster, but it will also make the tires turn faster. This becomes a problem when you want the steering wheel to turn slower than the tires, or vise versa

edit: best value seems to be anything between 0.1 and 0.2. anything less and you get the strange steering "slow down" effect, anything more plays the animation and turns the tires too fast
That actually improved it thank you!

It's time to update this topic, more cars are on development.

Ahura Savanna, based on the Mazda RX-7 FC, commissioned by Shire.

Dalton CityVan Mk2 commissioned by Corpora1Bird, some of you guys might remember that I made the first generation back in 2012.

Brutalion Stryker commissioned by DodgeViperACR16, based on a 2014 Dodge Viper.

And the long awaited Delorean Mk2 commissioned by -Luigi-, and yes, it will come with Back to the Future variants as well.

Also the New Yorker is now named Moore Boulevard

all incredibly slick models, nj

all incredibly slick models, nj
Thank you cake person <3

I forgot to say one thing, my cars from the add-ons topic will receive a handling update, the keybord steering will be improved making it faster for the wheel to get back in the center position, thanks to Goth77 for figuring that out.

Locked, new topic will be made in add-ons once new content are ready