are arena fps games pretty much dead?

Poll

title

yup
nop

Author Topic: are arena fps games pretty much dead?  (Read 3597 times)

im talking about games like quake and unreal tournament, most of the "attempts" i've seen at trying to bring the genre back just end up failing for multiple reasons  probably like:

-people just not being interested in them anymore
-when new people are interested, they just end up being destroyed by more skilled veteran players and abandon them beacuse of that
-they end up being abandoned to develop more successful games (see: unreal tournament 4)
-probably a bunch of more reasons i might not be thinking about too much

i've been wanting to replay quake champions for a while, but the optimization is so bad it's basically unplayable for me (i have a decent pc), and toxikk too but the servers are just filled with only bots and it just doesn't feel fun

classic quake shooters are pretty much mainstream dead yes. but there are still a lot of people who still play them. i like them a lot but sometimes it just gets repetitive. one i played semi recently was Open Fortress.

have you tried diabotical?

first time i hear about it, looking at the trailer it seems pretty interesting, but the fact that it is only on the epic games store kinda kills it for me, not a huge fan of having to download multiple game launchers for a specific game

Does TF2 arena gamemode still count? Cause that's very much still alive.

halo 5 is an arena shooter
change my mind

until they add seasons at least

Have you not played any of the New Blood games? ULTRAKILL, DUSK, and Amid Evil are amazing

team based fps will always appeal to a wider range of audiences since the feeling of teamwork is more emotionally fulfilling in general

imo yeah because they get real repetitive, real quick

Have you not played any of the New Blood games? ULTRAKILL, DUSK, and Amid Evil are amazing
i've played dusk, it's really entertaining and i love it, the movement is what i mostly like of the game. i wanted to try ultrakill, but i think it's best if i wait until it's out of early access

i've played dusk, it's really entertaining and i love it, the movement is what i mostly like of the game. i wanted to try ultrakill, but i think it's best if i wait until it's out of early access
The coin toss ability in Ultrakill gets my rocks hard, stuff's so fun to do.
They're coming back slowly but surely and they're a lot better than nu-doom stuff.

prodeus

I made some maps on prodeus.

https://youtu.be/_T2a9xUsvnY

As for stuff like quake being dead, to be fair you got a lot of try hard people on those games with 50 kills 0 deaths. It makes the game unfun for people just trying to get into the game. and the learning curve is different from call of duty so if someone is dying too much with no kills they aren't going to keep playing

Red Faction 2, Gears of War 2, Modern Warfare 2 (original), and Left 4 Dead 2 are still "party FPS games" I play in my spare time with friends. Even Half Life 2 and Borderlands 2. Just about anything 2 is good. Samurai Warriors 2 Empires? damn good 2