Author Topic: gm_highway/gm_bigcity/gm_fork static map?  (Read 1640 times)

I made this thread a while back but it's too old to reply to. Would this be possible? Some people say it'd be performance intensive or look ugly but we can't necessarily say for sure unless someone tried making them.

Or didn't BL have a NYC map? Can we port that somehow?

That would probably take way too many static shapes/DTS/datablocks, especially gm_fork

The game engine would probably go up in flames

Well about gm_highway? There was two versions, one was up in the sky and the other in a desert.

This doesn't include the map skybox. I figured at least the sky version would be possible since that one just needs the highway roads + support beams.

I mean keep in mind we have the Cambridge map, and that's fairly big with okay collisions, so I don't know necessarily how limited maps in Torque can be.

I'm not super familiar with gm_highway, and gm_bigcity is mostly boxes or sometimes there will be a building with beveled corners or something, so those two are probably do-able

Unfortunately, i'm not well-versed in the ways of static maps, so i won't be the one to attempt making them

SwiftHyena works with static maps, so maybe he can give it a try

Yeah I don't know how complex this sorta thing is. My assumption is that static maps were basically one giant .obj or something with collisions added, so you could just take a map from Source, port it into an object, and then throw it in that way.

SwiftHyena works with static maps, so maybe he can give it a try
Unfortunately he does not release anything he makes

Unfortunately he does not release anything he makes
Well, he might. He released Cambridge, and I'd assume he'll release that Oahu thing when it's finished or near completion.

Yeah it's dead simple to make static maps, just use this:
https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=309523.0

ive had some success porting source maps to v20 rather then poopy staticmaps, but its quite a janky process with results that require a forgetton of patching up before being functional and looking good:

some of gm_excess_construct:

i did end up finishing a map port into a complete downloadable map, and that is gm_flatgrass

this method of porting maps gives you results with just-about perfect collision with players and vehicles, and proper lighting with baked lights, but is also a pain in the ass to fix up for proper use on more complicated maps. and also the textures for big maps like gm_bigcity take up a lot of space, which takes aages to download over a torque server
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 02:50:38 PM by K3k0m@n »

ive had some success porting source maps to v20 rather then poopy staticmaps, but its quite a janky process with results that require a forgetton of patching up before being functional and looking good:

some of gm_excess_construct:

i did end up finishing a map port into a complete downloadable map, and that is gm_flatgrass

this method of porting maps gives you results with just-about perfect collision with players and vehicles, and proper lighting with baked lights, but is also a pain in the ass to fix up for proper use on more complicated maps. and also the textures for big maps like gm_bigcity take up a lot of space, which takes aages to download over a torque server
Damn, now I want to try doing this myself.