How the forget do I cook rice

Author Topic: How the forget do I cook rice  (Read 9448 times)

Okay, let's start answering the question. Many factors play in this like, "What rice do I own?", "What way will I want my rice cooked?", and "Does Electric/Fire Stoves change the outcome?"

There are many, MANY ways to cook rice, but I'll just give Info on what I know.

(DISCLAIMER: I don't consider myself a "professional Gordan Ramsey approved walking alpha male" when it comes to cooking, but I do know how to cook food enough for my siblings and parents. Also if you get bad results, please don't sue me lol)

Rice : Water Ratios *

Short Grain Rice -     1 : 1
Medium Grain Rice - 1 : 1 1/4
Long Grain Rice -     1 : 1 1/4
Jasmine Rice -         1 : 1 3/4

* If you can't measure your water because you're broke, do the first knuckle method, which is using your index finger (left or right hand, I don't care. Also assuming you WASH your hands while cooking so it being dirty shouldn't be a concern) and putting it into the water, if the water is on the first knuckle line, you know you have enough water

Now that that is out of the way, we can start with the procedures

How To Cook Plain Rice

I'll give 2 ways, on the stovetop (A) and instant pot (B). The one I use will be linked here.

A

1A. Put your uncooked rice in any type of bowl, you're going to be rinsing it. Giving rice a bit of time under clean water gets rid of the surface starch because that could make the rice clump together or give it a gummy texture that people really don't necessarily appreciate. Continue this until the water in the rice become clear to see and filter the water out

2A. Using the ratio (check above) put the desired water and rice needed into a saucepan (or anything that can have a lid on it and can fit the desired rice. Remember, rice gets bigger when cooked so keep that in mind!)

3A. Make sure the heat is on medium, we don't want these to be undercooked nor burnt, this will give the rice and water to get to know each other

4A. When you see that the water is almost dried up (preferably when it's not visible but you can see it still throwing smoke) turn the heat to low, mix it gently and cover the pot with a lid, this will continue the cooking procedure using the steam. By breaking the seal (opening a lid on a pot, door to the oven, etc.) you are letting out heat and probably steam, out. While the steam may not matter as much in some recipes, the loss of heat could cause issues with cooking time, and therefore texture will come out jank and weird for your rice, so try not opening it too many times, but also make sure the rice is cooked through

5A. When practically almost all the water is gone, turn off the heat and let it sit for another couple of minutes to finish absorbing any liquid

6A. Take off the lid, fluff the rice with a utensil and let it sit for another 2 minutes or so, so that some of the excess moisture in the rice dries off

7A. Serve and enjoy!

--------------------

B

1B. Put your uncooked rice in any type of bowl, you're going to be rinsing it. Giving rice a bit of time under clean water gets rid of the surface starch because that could make the rice clump together or give it a gummy texture that people really don't necessarily appreciate. Continue this until the water in the rice become clear to see and filter the water out

2B. Using the ratio (check above) put the desired water and rice needed into the instant rice pot (Remember, rice gets bigger when cooked so keep that in mind!)

3B. Flick the switch and wait until the cooker changes from "rice cooking" to "keep warm"

4B. Open the lid, fluff the rice with a utensil and let it sit for another 2 minutes or so, so that some of the excess moisture in the rice dries off

5B. Serve and enjoy!

If you have any more questions, ask away! I'll try to answer as many as I can to make cooking easier for you.

Oh, and also,

YOU CAN EAT PLAIN RICE AS A MAIN DISH OR AS A SIDE DISH. LET PEOPLE EAT THE RICE THEIR WAY. STOP MAKING THIS SUCH A BIG DEAL GOD DAMNIT.

Update 1 - Anything I missed I apologize in advance, as airheaded as I can get at random times, there's things I look over upon and forget to add in
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 09:44:47 AM by W_rkCl_cks »

Rice : Water Ratios *

Short Grain Rice -     1 : 1
Medium Grain Rice - 1 : 1 1/4
Long Grain Rice -     1 : 1 1/4
Jasmine Rice -         1 : 1 3/4

for the lazy method for all rices, 1:2 ratio
isnt perfect for which ever but far easier to measure both and you'll still end up with edible rice

for the lazy method for all rices, 1:2 ratio
isnt perfect for which ever but far easier to measure both and you'll still end up with edible rice

The laziest method is to buy cooked rice from any restaurant/store that does so.

Fast, Easy, AND they know how to cook rice so you don't have to. Of course, you get a bigger benefit for making your own food, as our swag man from above once said

"Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime"

if you eat plain rice outside of a loving sushi roll im concerned about your finances

why the forget are people clowning on foxscotch lol please tell me you aren't eating plain unseasoned rice on its own what the actual forget is wrong with you
Actually though sometimes, but I also eat yogurt and raw oats so I might be deranged.
Sometimes it's nice to eat something "bland" it's kind of its own flavor.

Edit: holy mother of god the wall of text above me
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 11:38:02 AM by Soukuw »

why does i t  take 5 pages to tell someone how to boil water and then dump rice in

why does i t  take 5 pages to tell someone how to boil water and then dump rice in
This guy doesn't rice

> boil water then dump rice in

ur supposed to boil the water with the rice inside.....

step 1: boil water, put rice on top then let it sit for 5 minutes, eat out of the pot with mexican blend shredded cheese on top

step 2: enjoy

step 3: dont eat all of it

eating plain rice as the whole meal is good for figuring out if you belong in a mental hospital

> boil water then dump rice in

ur supposed to boil the water with the rice inside.....
yeah idk what the forget instructions yall was giving

eating plain rice as the whole meal is good for figuring out if you belong in a mental hospital
I bet you're a fatty

I mean rice with butter, salt and pepper is great but it's nice to have something on the side, or just dump equal-ish parts rice and chilli in a bowl with a little shredded cheese.