The Linux Thread | Useful tools inside.

Author Topic: The Linux Thread | Useful tools inside.  (Read 5636 times)

The Linux Thread

Getting away from those prying eyes

A Whole GNU World

Let's get down to business, this is the list where I'll put useful and helpful Linux software.
I'll be avoiding cliche and usually garbage software like GIMP.

Krita - A Photoshop-like Image Editing tool. It has much less of a learning curve than GIMP.
Librewolf - A Fork of Firefox that removes telemetry among other security risks. Note: All login information is set not to be saved by default, and enabling it requires editing the config file. Browsing history is deleted by default on close and will not reopen when restarted. These are security features, but if you wish to disable them I'll have a guide section later in the thread.
MultiMC - An OpenSource Minecraft client with many features that the default vanilla cannot offer. Such as Isolated instances, Importing and Exporting instances from one MultiMC install to another, or between users. Modloaders can be installed via a setting option on each instance.
KeePass and KeePassX - A Multiplatform Password Manager, KeePass is available on most every platform relevant today, and some that are certainly not. Android, MacOS, Windows, Linux, and IOS. What this means is you can put your KeePass file on a usb storage device, and take it to multiple different software environments and have access to the same KeePass file.
Pakitheme - A Terminal based GTK Repackaging tool used to convert installed themes to Flatpak. If you're having issues with some pieces of software not following the system theme, it's possibly because it wasn't a flatpak install of the theme.
Atom - An open source text editor with a large community supporting it. Nearly anything you want is available to install as a plugin. And those are almost always open source too.
VLC Media Player - I know I said I was gonna avoid "cliches" but this one is an exception. VLC is a useful video playing and capture playback tool.
Virtual Machine Manager - An Open Source virtual machine software. If you still need some things from Windows, or you want to go Distro Hopping without erasing your main install, this is a great option.
LibreOffice - This is a great Office Alternative with file compatibility between MSOffice and LibreOffice. Just be warned, some formatting may be altered from exporting to a MSOffice file format, but otherwise the content will be the same.

Linux Distributions

Pop_OS! - Ubuntu Based, very stable and user friendly, great for beginners.

Mint - Ubuntu Based, stable, user friendly and great for everyone.

Manjaro - Arch Based, stability depends, user friendly, great for slightly advanced users.

Arch - Arch, stability is up to you, not user friendly but well documented, great for tinkerers.

Gentoo - Gentoo, stability = California's tectonic plates, not user friendly and documentation is hit or miss, great for masochists.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 12:39:03 PM by Master Matthew² »

how to enjoy linux: you dont
end of thread

Guess what other gaming handheld there is. The Aya Neo.
For $200 more dollars than the most expensive configuration of the Steam one, it comes with twice as much memory for storing games.
The next batch will deliver in august, versus the steam estimation of December or worse, next year.

But guess what it runs?
Windows.
Guess what adobe supports out of the box?
Windows.
Guess what platform made valve a company and not some brick and mortar?
Windows.

TLDR: I dont like linux. It has its use, but on bl forums it seems ridiculous.

finally, the year of the linux desktop

what was the point of linux again

what was the point of linux again
Manjaro

Jokes aside, Linux was created by Linus because he wanted a modern Unix OS for the desktop, but Uh... there was a big problem.

Money.

So he made Linux because he didn't want to buy a Unix Desktop.

i used linux once cause i needed it to use mac os. now i use neither

Guess what other gaming handheld there is. The Aya Neo.
For $200 more dollars than the most expensive configuration of the Steam one, it comes with twice as much memory for storing games.
The next batch will deliver in august, versus the steam estimation of December or worse, next year.

But guess what it runs?
Windows.
Guess what adobe supports out of the box?
Windows.
Guess what platform made valve a company and not some brick and mortar?
Windows.

TLDR: I dont like linux. It has its use, but on bl forums it seems ridiculous.

Guess what steals your data for profit?
Windows
Guess what costs money?
Windows
Guess what is getting a full overhaul with absurd minimum specs?
Windows

Guess what Valve has worked on making more compatible with Windows exclusive games?
Linux
Guess what is free?
Linux
Guess what doesn't steal your data for profit.
Linux
Guess what runs on toothpicks and ashes.
Doom, but also Linux.

This game can go on forever.

As far as the hardware.
Sure that device has higher specs, but the SteamDeck has software and hardware support as well as being designed around being a portable gaming PC. So while that device may have a higher capacity internal drive and maybe some higher specs. The SteamDeck will be supported by the most well known PC Gaming Store with a customer service that is leagues above it's console competitors and no doubt night and day between an Indiegogo funded device.

In terms of raw performance, the Aya Neo has the steamdeck beat. But the Steamdeck is greater than the sum of it's parts. Including it's AMD APU.
Because it's backed by a company that is constantly pushing for Linux and free and open platforms to compete on. And given how graciously it's handled it's competitors such as the EGS, who have not reciprocated Valve's very lenient actions. The SteamDeck could send shockwaves in the console world and even the legal world. If the SteamDeck allows for competing stores such as the EGS or GOG on their platform, and even other operating systems. Would console stores like the Playsation Store, Xbox Live Store and Nintendo Eshop be in violation of unfair and anti-competitive business practices? at first this may seem like a stretch, but it will raise these questions either way.

The Steam Deck is no doubt going to be a different kind of revolution than the Switch was. And it will absolutely shake the gaming market for years to come.

The Ayo Neo certainly will not.

Guess what steals your data for profit?
Windows
Guess what costs money?
Windows
Guess what is getting a full overhaul with absurd minimum specs?
Windows

Guess what Valve has worked on making more compatible with Windows exclusive games?
Linux
Guess what is free?
Linux
Guess what doesn't steal your data for profit.
Linux
Guess what runs on toothpicks and ashes.

The Steam Deck is no doubt going to be a different kind of revolution than the Switch was. And it will absolutely shake the gaming market for years to come.

The Ayo Neo certainly will not.

Yes linux is wonderful. I am deeply concerned with my privacy am tired of falling in the corrupt loop of microsoft. I tried switching but was frustrated with compatibility. Now it seems steam has changed that. Adobe and its tools are also a compatibility issue for me. Is there any fix for it? Linux mint also seems promising.

Steam will make a splash in the water just because they are steam. Sure the lowest config is the same cost of the switch, but anyone with any knowledge of what they have to work with will want the higher config options.
I appreciate what steam is doing, but I am frustrated at release date.
You are right though, because steam is steam it will change everything. Especially when it is mass produced.

i use ganoo lenux its pretty alright

i use ganoo lenux its pretty alright
Is adove premiere compatible? I know there are ways to get photoshop working, but I also use premiere

I've got a old ass laptop and I want it to run nicely, so I'm looking for a light and stable distro. I've tried Manjaro but it seems to freeze after a bit of use, what distros would you guys recommend (inb4 arch/gentoo). I also want to keep a windows install on a separate partition in case I need the os, but the storage is only 500gb, is it not worth it?

-snip-
May I ask what version of windows you are keeping on there?
If windows is vital and you aren't partitioning half the drive I think its worth it. \

As for linux distro's I heard good things about linux mint, but to be honest I haven't seriously messed with linux, and the only two I have messed with are redhat and unbuntu, of which I recommend unbuntu for desktop use.

Windows 10 is. . . unoptimized to say the least, take a look at windows ame. basically some people stripped out windows. The subreddit has downloads you can access without having a telegram account. Make sure to verify the hash though.
I am only suggesting it because I have a similar situation with a older laptop. Linux runs fiiinne on it. For gaming though, especially steam games, you will lost 10-20% performance running steam games on linux. Windows ame actually takes less background processing power than normal windows. On a very weak pc, 10-20% can be the difference between playable and not.
If your not using it for gaming, disregard all of this.

TL:DR
Heard good things about linux mint, only actually used unbuntu and redhat.
Windows AME may be good to look at if you need a stripped out windows for a weaker machine, but is only really worth it for gaming.

Yes linux is wonderful. I am deeply concerned with my privacy am tired of falling in the corrupt loop of microsoft. I tried switching but was frustrated with compatibility. Now it seems steam has changed that. Adobe and its tools are also a compatibility issue for me. Is there any fix for it? Linux mint also seems promising.
Unfortunately for Adobe tools until adobe ends up making their tools web-browser based, which knowing how that side of the industry is going I don't think that's going to be very far off, you will have to either dual boot windows or run it in a VM. Or have access to MacOS.

Steam will make a splash in the water just because they are steam. Sure the lowest config is the same cost of the switch, but anyone with any knowledge of what they have to work with will want the higher config options.

Agreed, I think the 32gb option was supposed to entice consumers who were unaware. But those are the ones you want to impress the most. This was a bad call. There's no ignoring that truth. However given the fact many consumers also recognize how small 32gb is as a general storage size, it's unlikely they'll install games on the 32gb storage and will likely opt for MicroSD Cards. Which the speed issue there would be obvious to consumers and probably not generally blamed on Valve.

I appreciate what steam is doing, but I am frustrated at release date.
You are right though, because steam is steam it will change everything. Especially when it is mass produced.
The release date cannot be helped. The global chip shortage is to blame. And from what I understand, the car manufacturers are at fault for cancelling their orders expecting car sales to dip. Which they did, but the dip immediately jumped back from it's fall as soon as most lockdowns were lifted. So they resumed their orders. Problem is, Chip manufacturing takes time. So the chip manufacturers had to use about half the resource supply to manage their usual output.

Basically dumb executives forgeted everyone, as usual.