The Linux Thread | Useful tools inside.

Author Topic: The Linux Thread | Useful tools inside.  (Read 5639 times)

May I ask what version of windows you are keeping on there?
Its Windows 10. I think I might use the laptop more for schoolwork than for gaming and I don't want to be that guy whos computer cant run whatever program I need for class. I guess I can use lab computers for that but I always find shared workstations absolutely disgusting so I'd rather just use my laptop.

that guy whos computer cant run whatever program I need to run for class
Linux can run all the web stuff just fine (zoom, etc)
Python and other mathematical or engineering stuff will run on almost anything.
What do you mean for school?
If it’s cad stuff or game design or other intensive projects, it sounds like you are going to need a new laptop anyway.

What do you mean for school?
Going to be taking a bunch of software engineering classes soon and I have no idea if running Linux will make things harder for me or not

Going to be taking a bunch of software engineering classes soon and I have no idea if running Linux will make things harder for me or not
Ah. It depends. If its just math and python stuff I think you can get by, but chances are, its not. You may need a better laptop if the one you currently have has a hard time running windows.
If your still using the laptop for personal use, Linux will do everything you want except maybe adobe stuff, but that is very specific.
If you insist on not getting a new laptop/computer and the one you currently have is not capable of running the required programs or is taxed when you run windows, you could use the workstation computers, and simply bring a container of sanitation wipes with you.

Is adove premiere compatible? I know there are ways to get photoshop working, but I also use premiere
never really felt any need or done anything that needs me to use adobe products, but kdenlive is a fairly decent free alternative
theres also davinci resolve but i havent used that

what is linux best for

what is linux best for
Which os is best will always receive mixed input.
Even worse so with linux because Linux is a generalized term and there are many distros for many different purposes.

That being said, linux is capable of running pretty much anything now, except very specific products.
Alot of those products have alternatives made for linux.

Linux runs better and more efficiently than windows except when running windows native applications.

Sadly, most games are written natively for windows, not for linux.
However steam has made a compatibility layer that works, but it sacrifices 10-20% of performance, so thats that. It works nicely though. If your computer can handle it sure, but on lower end hardware that is all you need and the framerate is unplayable.

Heavily modified/stripped windows versions are certainly a liable alternative to linux if your main focus is low spec gaming.
Windows AME is good, and I believe a newer project is coming along soon to replace it.

If privacy is a concern linux is a very good option, if not the only option.

IN alot of cases, for everyday use, certain linux distros will achieve a performance level simply not possible with windows.
Gaming still is windows king though, unless you have nicer hardware and/or are willing to sacrifice some performance.

Well for programming usually not.
But ive had two software engineering classes.

One was programming the other was all theory.

So unless you're programming something thats specifically using windows exclusive libraries or assets. You'll be fine. But id always reccomend having a windows virtual machine in case you run into some weird class that needs a windows exclusive application.

Linux is great, but this is a windows world.

So until that changes, many big apps will be windows exclusive.

Specifically. one of my classes had an asinine online test proctering system that was windows exclusive. It would not work on Mac, Android, iOS or Linux.

Mac, Android and iOS being the things that resulted in the professor getting many emails saying they couldnt take the test.

All of which got responses that basically said "You should have purchased a computer for the class".

During a global pandemic and chip shortage, never forget. No matter how bad the situation is. There's always an elitist bootlicker ready to spit shine microsoft's shoes tongue first.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 06:08:31 PM by Master Matthew² »

But id always reccomend having a windows virtual machine
if he can barely run windows i doubt he will be able to run a windows vm, or at least, a worthwhile one.

It can run windows fine, a bit on the slower side but nothing unreasonable. Was just looking for something to make it feel more responsive when doing things like browsing the internet, watching videos, or typing up things.

It can run windows fine, a bit on the slower side but nothing unreasonable. Was just looking for something to make it feel more responsive when doing things like browsing the internet, watching videos, or typing up things.

Oh if you're doing light stuff like that, Linux is perfect.

Honestly the Linux Revolution could start with situations like this.

Aging hardware with no desire to dump excessive amounts of money into an upgrade.

Pop_OS and Lubuntu/Xubuntu are good options for newcomers.

i just use linux because i like it. i run artix for my main "not gaming" device and it works well because of what i'm getting into for my career (web design/web-app development), and i have many more tools available with linux rather than windows. i still use windows on that same laptop (and my gaming device, for that matter) for any kind of exclusive content, including VR games such as phasmophobia (but i also use dev builds of windows on my not gaming device for a couple reasons: to help file bug reports and look at all the new stuff)

i don't like windows because of the lack of privacy they go for, and windows 11 is just another piece of spyware. at this point it should be renamed to Microsoft SpywareOS or something like that lol

is it good for gaming
depends on the games you want to play, and the GPU you use. AMD and Intel GPUs work just fine, but NVIDIA has gotten a personal forget-you from Linus himself many years ago and they're still stubborn about it. also, certain games may not work well, but most games are things that Steam and Wine can handle, such as blockland :cookieMonster:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 09:33:57 AM by Rocket Launcher »

i just use linux because i like it. i run artix for my main "not gaming" device and it works well because of what i'm getting into for my career (web design/web-app development), and i have many more tools available with linux rather than windows. i still use windows on that same laptop (and my gaming device, for that matter) for any kind of exclusive content, including VR games such as phasmophobia (but i also use dev builds of windows on my not gaming device for a couple reasons: to help file bug reports and look at all the new stuff)

i don't like windows because of the lack of privacy they go for, and windows 11 is just another piece of spyware. at this point it should be renamed to Microsoft SpywareOS or something like that lol
depends on the games you want to play, and the GPU you use. AMD and Intel GPUs work just fine, but NVIDIA has gotten a personal forget-you from Linus himself many years ago and they're still stubborn about it. also, certain games may not work well, but most games are things that Steam and Wine can handle, such as blockland :cookieMonster:
Nvidia Drivers, even on windows, are finicky and very unreliable.
Some games run like stuff after driver updates, others beg you to update so they don't run like stuff.

But for the most part, AMD has been on my stufflist in the past too, AMD Drivers used to forget up fullscreen games. Alt-Tabbing was a death sentence. I'd tab back in to a white screen most of the time. Thank god for windowed fullscreen.

Unfortunately, that one difference that made me go Nvidia, is now a common issue on Nvidia as well. except its black screen, not a white one. But it's not the loving game I was playing so that doesn't really matter as much.

What does matter, however, is that since most games support windowed fullscreen now. And neither system can get their stuff together, atleast the community tends to make some kick-ass drivers from time to time for Linux.

However, the GPU wars are out of my depth so I really don't know where I'd stand in in purchasing a new gpu down the line. Maybe I'd go AMD maybe Nvidia. right now I have an Rtx 2080 super, so It's gonna be way down the line. But AMD has the edge on Linux. Where as Nvidia is just on the edge with me right now. Between their gpu shortages, their unreliable drivers I just don't see any reason Why in the future I'd stick with Nvidia. But the future for that purchase is far away. So Nvidia might surprise me, AMD may dissapoint me, or hell maybe a new challenger will come out. But that last one is the least likely of all.