Roblox under fire for exploiting kids

Author Topic: Roblox under fire for exploiting kids  (Read 3958 times)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTMF6xEiAaY

I know a lot of you guys like Roblox and have some good memories of it in the past (like I have), but I found this video recently and it just made me think to one of Badspot's many rants about how he should've made Blockland some sort of subscription based game so he could make money off handicaps forever lol.

Anyway what are your guys' thoughts about this whole controversy?

I watched both videos yesterday, good doomer fuel

i havent liked roblox since like 2019, forget that company, most of the stuff ive seen in the video ive noticed for YEAAARS
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 10:33:23 AM by Nigel The Protagonist »

roblox money laundering simulator tycoon

the moment roblox removed tix from the game instead of fixing the problems behind it was the day things really went downhill

the moment roblox removed tix from the game instead of fixing the problems behind it was the day things really went downhill
the moment erik cassel died is when roblox went downhill

everyone likes to pretend that roblox had a downhill death spiral beginning with erik's death or ticket removal when i can vividly remember people complaining a forgetload about the game back in like 2010-2012 well before either of these events occurred
roblox has been regularly criticized ever since a couple of years after its 2006 inception and nothing has changed since
and yeah this stuff has been pretty obvious for years at least to me. unless you are one of the most popular games on the platform (adopt me) you arent going to make a significant sum from the devex program. ive viewed this as the cost of convenience: roblox provides you with the engine/distribution platform/infrastructure/etc in one package but at the consequence of roblox largely being the one reaping the rewards of your work. roblox is fine if you just want to screw around and make games for fun but if you are serious about game dev and profiting from your work then you are much better off going straight to a proper engine like unity and building from there
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 06:03:39 PM by Mr Queeba »

everyone likes to pretend that roblox had a downhill death spiral beginning with erik's death or ticket removal when i can vividly remember people complaining a forgetload about the game back in like 2010-2012 well before either of these events occurred
roblox has been regularly criticized ever since a couple of years after its 2006 inception and nothing has changed since
i can confirm this i was one of these people

Finally Blockland has survived its main rival

Finally Blockland has survived its main rival
I don't think Roblox is going anywhere. The reason they're under this pressure is because Roblox Corporation has taken advantage of the pandemic and now has more value than Nintendo.

i mean, robloxes entire business model relies on being "uber for game development" but instead of employing adults they employ children learning how to program and then vastly under pay them

and yeah this stuff has been pretty obvious for years at least to me. unless you are one of the most popular games on the platform (adopt me) you arent going to make a significant sum from the devex program. ive viewed this as the cost of convenience: roblox provides you with the engine/distribution platform/infrastructure/etc in one package but at the consequence of roblox largely being the one reaping the rewards of your work. roblox is fine if you just want to screw around and make games for fun but if you are serious about game dev and profiting from your work then you are much better off going straight to a proper engine like unity and building from there

This, I'm not entirely surprised either. People had called out against ROBLOX for shady business before especially during 2011 when Telamon made the decision to make Sword Fight on the Heights VI BC only and that caused a lot of outrage that he made forum post as to why he did it. Even more fuel was added was when they released their first TV ad which included the infamous phrase "IT'S FREE!" at the end which sure as hell pissed everyone, including me and my friends at time, off.

I'm not sure if charges will be pressed against ROBLOX which are very likely but I'm certainly going to have to speak with my mother on this to have my baby brother stop playing this game. It's sad what this game has become but I already left the game by 2014 and it was already transitioning to what it is today so I can't say I'm not quite upset on the matter either just indifferent now.

This, I'm not entirely surprised either. People had called out against ROBLOX for shady business before especially during 2011 when Telamon made the decision to make Sword Fight on the Heights VI BC only and that caused a lot of outrage that he made forum post as to why he did it. Even more fuel was added was when they released their first TV ad which included the infamous phrase "IT'S FREE!" at the end which sure as hell pissed everyone, including me and my friends at time, off.
this part honestly just brings me back lmao so many people were pissed at this

This stuff would never happen on Blockland....

This stuff would never happen on Blockland....
If Blockland survived I promised you it would have ended in a habbo hotel Esque “creep” situation.