the stagnation of blockland

Author Topic: the stagnation of blockland  (Read 18812 times)

do any of y'all remember when albertsstuff played and there was a massive influx of kids who bought the game just to join servers and grief/spam the n word
That's why you should also choose someone whose fanbase isn't mostly made up of kids/edgelords

I think the biggest issue with that is player retention, like, after the initial day of paying some celebrity to play Blockland, what would keep the influx of casual players coming back to this game?
Also, another issue is that people can't register and post on these forums to show off their creations or ask for help, so they'd have to resort to using... the Steam discussions page 😬

get the rock to play blockland

That's why you should also choose someone whose fanbase isn't mostly made up of kids/edgelords
Also, another issue is that people can't register and post on these forums to show off their creations or ask for help, so they'd have to resort to using... the Steam discussions page 😬

Honestly, how much trouble would it be to enable the Steam Workshop and set up a bit more Community stuff for Blockland?

The default community sub-forums aren't really enough to replace the BLF.

And downloading Add-Ons from the Forum is antiquated and clearly not going to last.

Especially after making Blockland a Steam-Only game, leaving the Workshop disabled is such a boneheaded decision.

Steam users can't get their keys, not that it would matter if they could since the forum registration is disabled.

Why not, just move the function of the Forums over to Steam?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 08:09:18 AM by Master Matthew² »

While I agree with this glass HAS proved itself a viable long term solution

While I agree with this glass HAS proved itself a viable long term solution

even though most new players dont even know how to get it

even though most new players dont even know how to get it
Or that it even exists

Or that new players even exist/

More Steam Integration would certainly lead to Blockland gaining a little more traction.

Maybe a sale now and again wouldn't hurt either.

Now, we as a community should not be expected to have no part to play in this, but
we can't do this all on our own.

Honestly, how much trouble would it be to enable the Steam Workshop and set up a bit more Community stuff for Blockland?

The default community sub-forums aren't really enough to replace the BLF.

And downloading Add-Ons from the Forum is antiquated and clearly not going to last.

Especially after making Blockland a Steam-Only game, leaving the Workshop disabled is such a boneheaded decision.

workshop has been a very popular request since the game released on steam. in fact, badspot did comment on it once before:
I'd like to get the game to a slightly more self sustaining place, where user generated content feeds back into the game with little or no input from me.  I guess I've been saying that for years but it's still true.  I guess that means I have to make workshop go. 
no one really knows why this never happened, although i suspect it may have been because he didn't want to moderate it in addition to the forum. i think this also applied to the steam community hub as a whole, since the discussion page used to be like this

seems to me like badspot was hoping that new steam users would just come to the forum instead, since that was the place he was already dealing with, and consequently leaving steam features as an afterthought. of course it would be pointless to flesh out these features now, since the community on the forum is probably bigger than the community on steam.

workshop has been a very popular request since the game released on steam. in fact, badspot did comment on it once before:no one really knows why this never happened, although i suspect it may have been because he didn't want to moderate it in addition to the forum. i think this also applied to the steam community hub as a whole, since the discussion page used to be like this
Well he could have transitioned the forum from here to Steam.

seems to me like badspot was hoping that new steam users would just come to the forum instead, since that was the place he was already dealing with, and consequently leaving steam features as an afterthought. of course it would be pointless to flesh out these features now, since the community on the forum is probably bigger than the community on steam.
This makes no sense.
He's locked this forum down, there's no way for new users to come here and post, not that they'd even know to come here.

even more reflected with the forum's theme being virtually unchanged since going onto the next simple machines update. the old forums actually had a characteristic style that you knew that you're actually on a game related forum, really professional looking. he clearly doesn't care for us or the game which is pretty sad but i guess we ought to move on. it's not like he's going to turn around one day and be like "alright lads you can take over blockland i've done my duty".

More Steam Integration would certainly lead to Blockland gaining a little more traction.

Maybe a sale now and again wouldn't hurt either.
Badspot had his chance. Someone needs decomp it and repost it on steam with a different name for free and steam integration with more qol addons out of the box.

Untourque exists for dso files. I dont believe Blockalnd's are encrypted.
The raw tourquescript is pretty straight forward. Some of the rendering dll's also seems somewhat standard.

Only thing that seems different is the other rendering dll's and the steam integration/authentication.

Of course I know nothing about decompiling torque games, but is there any reason it isnt feasible? As far as saying its not popular, b4v21 was able to be accomplished and at this rate, blockland is following suit as a relic.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 12:17:14 PM by soldier101@ »

Badspot had his chance. Someone needs decomp it and repost it on steam with a different name for free and steam integration with more qol addons out of the box.
maybe lets not break the law lol

maybe lets not break the law lol
Change the name and any other copyright sensitive stuff while changing order of assets and code so it isnt a 1:1 replica.
Is it still illegal? Im actually curious idek.

Change the name and any other copyright sensitive stuff while changing order of assets and code so it isnt a 1:1 replica.
Is it still illegal? Im actually curious idek.
i mean im not a lawyer but it still seems not legally sound