Movie Recommendation Ideas

Author Topic: Movie Recommendation Ideas  (Read 4878 times)

Hi all! I just got done wrapping up my thesis and for the past few months, I've been deflecting my friends' movie recommendations. Now that my hands are free, I've been dedicating this summer to culturing myself with famous movies. Here's some of the runner-ups that I've seen since the start of this month:

NOTE: These are the movies that I have seen, I will watch one movie a day.

• Taxi Driver
  • Breakfast at Tiffany's
  • Look Who's Back
  • Kung Pow! Enter the Fist
  • The Glenn Miller Story
  • American Psycho
  • Reservoir Dogs
  • Pulp Fiction
  • Jackie Brown
  • The Big Lebowski
  • The Truman Show
  • The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
  • The Great Train Robbery
  • 12 Angry Men
  • Wild At Heart
  • Lost Highway
  • The Straight Story
  • Dr. Strangelove
  • Life of Brian
  • Cape Fear
  • JoJo Rabbit
  • A Hard Day's Night
  • Yellow Submarine
  • The Blob
  • Night of the Living Dead
  • The Sandlot
  • Stand By Me
  • The Goonies
  • Groundhog Day
  • No Country For Old Men
  • When Harry Met Sally
  • Miller’s Crossing
  • Fargo
  • Mississippi Burning
  • The Graduate
  • Blade Runner - The Final Cut
  • Blade Runner 2049
  • Drive (2011)
  • Big Fish
  • Midnight in Paris
  • The Departed
  • Bonnie and Clyde (1967)
  • Dirty Harry
  • Magnolia (1999)
  • Dead Men Don’t Wear Plaid
  • The Jazz Singer (1927)
  • Duck Soup (1933)
  • Something’s Gotta Give
  • You’ve Got Mail
  • Hail, Caesar!
  • Deliverance
  • Christine (1983)
  • Catch Me If You Can
  • The Blair Witch Project
  • Napoleon Dynamite
  • Mean Girls
  • Heathers

Now mind you, I know it's baffling that I haven't seen a lot of these movies until this month. The point of this list is to watch the classics that "I'll get around to watching" and never following through because of time and life. So far, I really only didn't like Lost Highway and I feel that Night of the Living Dead was over-rated, the others I've appreciated and some of which I've learned to love.

What do you guys recommend? Further, should I post regular updates with films I've seen from here on in?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 05:16:31 PM by TurnipBlog »

anything by monty python, rocky horror picture show, little shop of horrors are all fun (and extremely bizarre at times). rhps is more of a...cult classic? though. i wasn't a huge fan of it, but i feel like it's a culture piece that's worth a watch.

if you're into sci fi classics: starship troopers, galaxy quest, the original dune (also a weird movie; the modern one is extremely worth a watch)
action classics: die hard. blues brothers might count as an action movie?

unfortunately i'm more of a fan of period dramas (og pride and prejudice baybee) so my "classic movies" are based off of what my dad told me was mandatory viewing as a kid.

anything by monty python, rocky horror picture show, little shop of horrors are all fun (and extremely bizarre at times). rhps is more of a...cult classic? though. i wasn't a huge fan of it, but i feel like it's a culture piece that's worth a watch.

if you're into sci fi classics: starship troopers, galaxy quest, the original dune (also a weird movie; the modern one is extremely worth a watch)
action classics: die hard. blues brothers might count as an action movie?

unfortunately i'm more of a fan of period dramas (og pride and prejudice baybee) so my "classic movies" are based off of what my dad told me was mandatory viewing as a kid.
I've seen a good chunk of Monty Python movies, Life of Brian was one of the missing cornerstones but Holy Grail is still my favorite. Little Shop is a certified classic, I'm a huge fan of both the movie and the musical. Rocky Horror is one of those things that my dad exposed me to growing up and I have some fond memories of that production.

Blues Brothers is a great time, I haven't gotten around to Die Hard just yet though. I also trust your judgement for the sci fi movies, I definitely need to circle back to Dune to top off my David Lynch films.

dog day afternoon
This movie is a hell of a good time, John Cazale does a fantastic job being paired up with Pachino.

Update: Yesterday's movie that I watched was The Sandlot. Now I understand the whole "You're killing me, Smalls!" thing. That's a nice feel-good 90s era film and I'd definitely give it another go if I needed a pick me up.

memento
Fire movie, it's somewhat of a confusing ride trying to put everything together at first glance but it comes back around by the time you hit the end. Quite the plot twist, def recommend.

Bump because of Stranger Things Season 4, had to take a break from the daily movies for this one. If you are a fan of this show, I'd recommend this season. Some would say seasons 2 and/or 3 weren't that strong but this season holds together well. Definitely would recommend.

memento
a good recommend indeed

if you like mind-forget / psychological thrillers or just "plot twist" type movies in general here is a small section from my favs list to add to your list. pick one that looks interesting ? :)

« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 05:32:12 AM by Goth77 »

pulp fiction is loving great and i would rec you to bump it up to the top of your list

if you like that or american psycho immediately follow it up with no country for old men cause its like the best of both merged into one movie

go watch cube 1997 and shaun of the dead

Chip n Dale: Rescue Rangers if you like meta stuff

kung pow
You know, I'm glad that you mentioned this because a buddy of mine showed this to me a few years back and I absolutely lost my marbles. 10/10, good meme.

pulp fiction is loving great and i would rec you to bump it up to the top of your list

if you like that or american psycho immediately follow it up with no country for old men cause its like the best of both merged into one movie
I watched both American Psycho and Pulp Fiction, I enjoyed Pulp Fiction a lot more than American Psycho, but American Psycho was entertaining in the way that watching a high speed car crash is a sight you can't look away from. No Country For Old Men is on my list and I'm probably going to watch this one in the near future.

go watch cube 1997 and shaun of the dead
I forgot about Shaun of the Dead, I also have been recommended the Resident Evil movies. I definitely want to check out both.

Chip n Dale: Rescue Rangers if you like meta stuff

I don't know too much about this movie, but at surface value I enjoy the combo of cell-animation meets CGI meets live action to appease all audience's preferences. Definitely will give it a go.

a good recommend indeed

if you like mind-forget / psychological thrillers or just "plot twist" type movies in general here is a small section from my favs list to add to your list. pick one that looks interesting ? :)
Nice! I haven't seen any of these just yet but I'm definitely in for a good plot twistery.

Update: I watched The Goonies for the first time and you can tell where the Duffer brothers got a lot of their inspiration for Stranger Things. Certified "Hey you guys" moment.

it's not a "classic" but Arrival is one of the coolest science fiction movies ever made

Can't believe no one has said Blade Runner.