v21 was ten years ago

Author Topic: v21 was ten years ago  (Read 4331 times)

I mean, it was, right? Unless the forum topic was posted on a different day from the update or something. https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=203515.0

Definitely feels like a decade has gone by. At least to me. I remember my computer got a virus that cut it off from any internet connection, so I couldn't download the update. I was just left all by myself to explore the maps I had left in v20. That was surreal.

I remember finding out this stuff didn't work on my laptop and being mad as hell. and on the one PC we had in the house it did run on, it ran at 5 fps on low.

10 years ago the most controversial update in videogame history was released

Though i do miss the variety and smoothness maps and interiors had, i'm too distracted by the shiny bricks and the cool shadow mods that we have now

I remember finding out this stuff didn't work on my laptop and being mad as hell. and on the one PC we had in the house it did run on, it ran at 5 fps on low.
badspot bricked like over 50% of the games install base so he could advertise it better on steam lmfaoo

theres no kid in 2012 that was running blockland on a good computer, im sure if he had polled the hardware capacity he would've known like 8 people could run it

that and the fact that blockland is so dogstuff optimized that it run poorly on new computers as well

that and the fact that blockland is so dogstuff optimized that it run poorly on new computers as well
this
the problem isn't even an issue of "my pentium 4 can't run shaders" its that performance and stability is extremely inconsistent even with newer graphics cards featuring exponentially increasing fidelity to the point where its now feasible for games to perform raytracing in real time. a ~2013 amd radeon can run max shaders at a solid 60fps with tens of thousands of bricks loaded into the map but a gtx 1060 struggles in the same scenario, a radeon 6600xt has text rendering issues with the in-game chat and the player list specifically (unrelated to shaders but a good example of what im talking about), and certain intel hd graphics models/running the game on mac/linux under wine where the game will just straight up crash above minimum shaders
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 06:39:00 PM by Mr Queeba »

those shadows and shaders do look good though... mood lighting

i can only run it on low though, lol

Man, 10 years ago?! Holy stuff, it felt like it was just yesterday.
I miss V20 I use to play v20 a lot before that update.

how time just flies by lol

Version 21 should had been a port were Blockland retail moved from Torque Game Engine to Torque 3d (1.2, when it became opensource in September 2012). Torque 3d was the perfect engine for Blockland because of its identical modding capabilities which Torque Game Engine had also. The modding capabilities that Torque Game Engine and Torque 3d have, is lacking in other engines such as Unity, Unreal Engine, etc. I do really miss the days were you could make a map, fill it up with interiors and place it in the Maps section to give the community another adventure to explore.

The Torque engines really gave the players an option that they could shape for a large part the game. The game BeamNG is now profiting of this feature where the community can build customized add-ons for the game, because of Torque 3d engine. Imagine if we just had Blockland retail in Torque 3d also, realistic terrain and waters, with shadows and shaders.

Here are some screenshots when I ported Blockland vanilla into Torque 3d, but the animations stopped working.

I tried to make a realistic roads, similar to ArmA3 map design. Could have worked out great for Blockland maps, if Blockland was on T3D.

Version 21 should had been a port were Blockland retail moved from Torque Game Engine to Torque 3d (1.2, when it became opensource in September 2012). Torque 3d was the perfect engine for Blockland because of its identical modding capabilities which Torque Game Engine had also. The modding capabilities that Torque Game Engine and Torque 3d have, is lacking in other engines such as Unity, Unreal Engine, etc. I do really miss the days were you could make a map, fill it up with interiors and place it in the Maps section to give the community another adventure to explore.

The Torque engines really gave the players an option that they could shape for a large part the game. The game BeamNG is now profiting of this feature where the community can build customized add-ons for the game, because of Torque 3d engine. Imagine if we just had Blockland retail in Torque 3d also, realistic terrain and waters, with shadows and shaders.

Here are some screenshots when I ported Blockland vanilla into Torque 3d, but the animations stopped working.
[img width=900 ]https://scontent-ams2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/69381939_2598742590171047_2129197326521073664_n.png?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=ubuXjz6mj2wAX9pF682&_nc_ht=scontent-ams2-1.xx&oh=00_AT-ikAkYCNLhsJO9y8bHZyKOZeWcnIHzZ2lcc1Dgkf7pxg&oe=63186689[/img]

[img width=900 ]https://scontent-ams2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/69700613_2598742643504375_8051934580342521856_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=CKcXIosma-wAX9Lnfkt&_nc_ht=scontent-ams2-1.xx&oh=00_AT8j5b6De0LPzi5OhvX92MFKkcquae13u09lz0YCrJMJeg&oe=63199ABD[/img]

[img width=900 ]https://scontent-ams2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/70014727_2598742753504364_6212412955187740672_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=KC225MQ75KEAX-9mCuN&_nc_ht=scontent-ams2-1.xx&oh=00_AT9HRXNYWlmKVRDXvHAvI_6DpOCL-9esuxXwXJGdZrhw1w&oe=6318E831[/img]

I tried to make a realistic roads, similar to ArmA3 map design. Could have worked out great for Blockland maps, if Blockland was on T3D.
[img width=900 ]https://scontent-ams2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/79393266_2824902384221732_7454785958416744448_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=1-Bo9idEhK0AX-bavUn&_nc_ht=scontent-ams2-1.xx&oh=00_AT_TPW4h5fzsx5ilFlSEkLFnyOKb75QlWvjOcgoPAlUgHg&oe=631A9B6A[/img]
This is what i suggested a few times in the past, even jokingly, but the idea was always shot down with responses like "No one would want to go through all that trouble", and "You'd have to completely re-do the octree system", and "Some/all of the add-ons would break", and all of those are true, but i feel like if Blockland actually made the jump to T3D, it would have been far more worth it in the end than the shadows and shaders update

some have looked into making the game in t3d but noted the biggest issue/amount of work required is recreating the brick system. not the octree, but everything surrounding bricks from collisions to model to transmitting information over the network in an efficient and scalable way.

kinda blows my mind that beam.ng uses torque 3d, because TGE seems like a complete dumpster fire

some have looked into making the game in t3d but noted the biggest issue/amount of work required is recreating the brick system. not the octree, but everything surrounding bricks from collisions to model to transmitting information over the network in an efficient and scalable way.
I find that somewhat difficult to imagine. did whoever ur talking about write about that anywhere?

V21 was the death sentence that Blockland didn't deserve.