What's something you miss from the 2000s?

Author Topic: What's something you miss from the 2000s?  (Read 6069 times)

I just genuinely do miss forums like this that were for a specific theme or extremely small game. I cling to this one and a few other small ones but overall i really miss when we frequently perused like 5 websites or communities rather than it all being lumped onto one platform and they were active

Discord has overall done a good job at feeling the void of niche communities, but sometimes chat rooms just go too fast to have long conversations

I might make another anime megathread, maybe that would give us stuff to talk about

Old internet, old games, old life. But alas, life goes on.

Old internet, old games, old life. But alas, life goes on.
growing up is so damn bittersweet lol

i spend so much time at work thinking about playing games and then when i get home then i just get bored when i open them up.. games ive played for years that were endlessly fun, but now its "i have no time for this" or i'm burned out.
also i've made an incredible amount of friends on blockland and never really hear from them anymore however i still talk to one bler that i met in 2009 and we finally met a year ago in person so thats pretty cool

i miss old youtube. This might just be nostalgia goggles but it felt like creativity and fun were the goals back in the day, but now it's monetization.

also bring back youtube tagging

rube goldberg machines. there were so many videos of them and they were all cash money

cereal with prizes in the box

saturday morning cartoons that didn't suck

saturday morning cartoons that didn't suck
I didn't even know Saturday cartoons still existed at all

i kind of assumed fox box / 4kidz was like the last of them lol i used to get up every weekend at like 7AM so i could watch the entire 4kidz block

which kind of reminds me of old anime dubs... they have a certain kind of cheese to them you don't really see anymore

experiencing my favorite games for the first time

just finally bought a charger for my SP and the thing still works like new - It got me missing the days of having discrete devices for different things - an ipod, a gameboy, a phone. obviously a smartphone is more efficient and it's nice to have more pocket space, but I think there's something totalizing about a smartphone that sucks some of the charm from it.

when everything had its own website, be it a game, a game server, or just a community based around a topic.

today everything is just centralised onto a subpar social media platform like discord, and we all complain about it when they do something stupid for the 20th time this year. but nobody is willing to get off these platforms and start something of their own, free from the stuff we have to put up with when using a big name, out of touch, buggy platform.
twitter's stuffshow is proof that no matter how bad it gets people will never leave their collapsing platform, but will absolutely continue to moan about it and threaten moving to whatever alternate platform is being developed at the time, of which a few will do for a week then come crawling straight back once they realise nobody else moved over with them.

the real kicker is that we used to be able to do this - digg fell catastrophically when they began loving up which gave way to reddit, and now that reddit is loving up they're still standing strong as the alternate platforms that popped up return to obscurity.

Adventure Quest.

Shoop da whoop

khaz passed away by nostalgia from the above post

when everything had its own website, be it a game, a game server, or just a community based around a topic.

today everything is just centralised onto a subpar social media platform like discord, and we all complain about it when they do something stupid for the 20th time this year. but nobody is willing to get off these platforms and start something of their own, free from the stuff we have to put up with when using a big name, out of touch, buggy platform.
twitter's stuffshow is proof that no matter how bad it gets people will never leave their collapsing platform, but will absolutely continue to moan about it and threaten moving to whatever alternate platform is being developed at the time, of which a few will do for a week then come crawling straight back once they realise nobody else moved over with them.

the real kicker is that we used to be able to do this - digg fell catastrophically when they began loving up which gave way to reddit, and now that reddit is loving up they're still standing strong as the alternate platforms that popped up return to obscurity.
its the same with twitter now being X and you can only read like 1000 posts a day or some stupid stuff

you put it into words much better than i could have

being on small forums is a breath of fresh air but i truly wish that this place was more active

i've also been visiting another forum for petz, which somehow is more alive than this place D:

another thing i miss is nightcore being all over YouTube and just early 2000s weeaboo stuff, i think i originally made an anime megathread years ago at the peak of being a weeb online.

sad and edgy AMVs are also a thing of the past sadly, and anime fan art also had a certain kind of vibe to it