Poll

Do you think we will be rivals with Lego Universe?

Yes
15 (20.8%)
No
43 (59.7%)
I don't know
14 (19.4%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Lego Universe Vs. Blockland?  (Read 5605 times)

I am just wondering if we might be rivals with Lego universe like we are with Roblox?
I think we will, but i want to hear what you think so answer the poll thanks.
Any Questions or comments please tell below.

I believe in my honest opinion that Lego Universe will be different in many ways from blockland, but yet the same in a freakish way.

I think we can expect a barrage of: "BLOKALDN COPIED LEGO UNIVERSE U FUXANG NUUBS U COPY OR GAME U GAME STEELERS!!!!!!!!" from handicapped 9 year olds who have been exposed to too much internet.

Add "They will both equal."

That is not a resonable answer to a yes or no question.

And, as a rivalry between games is completely handicapped and probably the stupidist thing possible for either community, it will happen...

The best thing we can do is to not even tell them Blockland exists.

I believe it will have more members simply due to more publicity.

I hope not, lego universe seems like it will be diffrent from blockland, more RPGish and less sandboxish, but all we really know for sure about LU is that the games currency will be plastic, and you can "team up" with other players. It seems as if they barely manage to keep lego fans interested by giving them scraplings of concepts in the bullstuff news letter. In reality no one knows anything about the game.

The best thing we can do is to not even tell them Blockland exists.
they'll find out

Badspot

• Administrator
That's sort of like asking if the new WoW expansion will effect Age of Time. 

The only reason we're "rivals" with Roblox is because we both occupy the same game space - that of an amateur lego sandbox game.  Lego Universe is almost certainly not going to be a sandbox game. 

If LU does allow free building, you're gonna have to grind mobs for those bricks and then your build is going to have to be approved by an administrator.  Even that's unlikely because if they just let kids build whatever, the whole world would look like stuff.  So they're probably just going to have approved designs that you can build and allow user submissions but only take the good ones.  That's if they have a substantial building component which I'm not convinced they will.  Lego Universe is about using the popular Lego branding to sell MMO crack to kids - everything else is likely secondary.

Oh and LEGO is bonkers paranoid about being "kid safe".  It is uncertain if there will even be open chat in the game (other kid-safe mmos have not).  It makes sense when you think about it: Even in Blockland, with 4351 users and no promise or reputation for kid safety, I've gotten around 5 complaints from parents about their kids being "abused" online.  A LEGO branded game with a million users and open chat is going to get 5 complaints every second. 

Hopefully, people who are looking for a lego sandbox and don't find it in LU will turn to Blockland.

LEGO is still struggling to compete with iPod sales and video games, this seems like a ploy for more cash. Dish out a sub-par game, brand it with LEGO labels, and sell for an unreasonable price.

Isn't the production of LU in Colorado?

I could sneak over there and see what they're doing, but that would be very boring because I have no interest in MMO's let alone "child-safe" MMO's.

Please don't even talk about this game. Roblox noobs are bad enough spamming our forums, I don't want to deal with 5-year olds spamming our forums.

Badspot

• Administrator
There's no reason to hate on them.  I think it'll be successful.  They've finally hit on a profitable formula with Lego Star Wars which they're now extending to Lego Indiana Jones, Lego Batman, and LU which is basically Lego WoW.  They're solid games but none of them are going where Blockland is.  I could be wrong, but I would be very surprised. 

I think the market forced them to rethink their own marketing scheme. I can vividly remember the "5 brick" LEGO sets they were selling from 1999-2003, they were awful, they conserved using more bricks by condensing them into bulky shapes (The chasis for the common car was replaced by one such brick). Their color choices also were very not well thought out (Rock Raiders, Antarctic Explorers, LEGO City sets). They replaced a lot of old concepts with decals and stickers, which in my opinion was a bad decision. This was when they started loosing money to competition. Their offices and factory in CT was then moved to Denmark. Then things started to move back on track.

LEGO sets now are a step in the right direction, but I still loved the sets from the 80s-mid 90s.