The new and improved 3D model topic!

Author Topic: The new and improved 3D model topic!  (Read 3850570 times)

Fixed the link, been a while since I used dropbox. Its only a little .38 special revolver, but I can see how it might be a touch thin.

I use Maya for my modeling and Substance for baking/texturing, you will see my workflow when I get the video out. In the meantime look into PBR texturing workflows.
thanks. im starting to get into maya for non-blockland modeling so this will help a lot
also that explains why it looks so flimsy - saturday night special guns generally refer to "lower-quality guns"

meanwhile, i rushed this guy out cause i liked the outcome of the first one so much.

old: http://i.imgur.com/4XAhrdy.png
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 05:26:20 AM by Conan »

you need to do something about the triangulation

blockland models are typically smooth and square and sharp edges are a major faux pas (in addition to the general disdain for triangulation unto itself)

you need to do something about the triangulation

blockland models are typically smooth and square and sharp edges are a major faux pas (in addition to the general disdain for triangulation unto itself)
yeah i was fixing that after noticing it in the render; i fixed it and updated the image above.

conan stop please me and rykuta are already planning an XCOM weapon pack :(((((

i think its just cause everyone knows ur a really good modeler and has seen a ton of your work that the quality is so standard we barely even notice it lmao
Idk I'd just like to see some feedback but whatever
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 10:52:24 AM by Filipe »

I'm surprised this hasn't been done earlier due to XCOM's blocky weapon design.

no

http://i.imgur.com/AyznnBU.png

not totally satisfied with this one; probably will rescale some things later. atm looks too front-heavy.

new version
http://i.imgur.com/BIEmsFw.png

new NEW version
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 11:29:20 PM by Conan »

g-guys can i join laser fight i have weapon too

thats more steampunk than futuristic!!!

you should add some lenses onto it for the extra steampunk laser effect

Reminds me of the WunderWaffe DG-3

the energy weapon spam will not stop

modeling feels so liberating compared to the limitations of blockland building. however it is more annoying to align and manage

conan these models are outstanding

modeling feels so liberating compared to the limitations of blockland building. however it is more annoying to align and manage
aligning can kind of be a pain in blender. if I can't snap to vertex then usually I just estimate because I doubt anyone will notice

when i try to model anything i make every single vertex line up precisely right and make sure a lot of things about the shape of the object are mathematically correct
im not any good at modeling though

Idk I'd just like to see some feedback but whatever
every model you make is just excellent by default