The new and improved 3D model topic!

Author Topic: The new and improved 3D model topic!  (Read 3839504 times)

if you aren't using zbrush for blockland models, you aren't doing it right

Did you look for them?
no, I'm used to the extremely sleek and what you see is what you get ui from SketchUp. You shouldn't have to dig through a tool just to discover it's features, they should be laid out for you.

Course blender has like 500000 different features but that's no excuse

no, I'm used to the extremely sleek and what you see is what you get ui from SketchUp. You shouldn't have to dig through a tool just to discover it's features, they should be laid out for you.

It's much easier putting a handful of features onto a UI than the sheer amount of what Blender has

In fact, because Blender has so much that you can do with it, the UI can already look pretty cluttered to some people

Blender has snap to grid and exact measurements, I use it all the time lol
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 07:04:14 AM by Insert Name Here² »

u do realize as you need more and more tools, the ui sleekness is gonna be sacrificed regardless.... the fact you can still tolerate sketchup means you aren't using very many tools to model.

and 500000 different features is an excuse, hell, its the reason its complicated. have you ever tried edge splitting or smooth shading in sketchup? what about face duplication and cutting? snapping to vertex or edges? animation????? moving stuff along its normals and rotating along its normals rather than global view?

I've never seen any sort of snap to grid features or accurate measurement tools in blender

???

the idea of someone hailing sketchup over other software is so absurd even i'm having trouble figuring out if it's the greatest juke in this thread or not

I'm working on a hat pack

(hat isn't finished if you couldn't tell by the back of the head poppin' through)

the idea of someone hailing sketchup over other software is so absurd even i'm having trouble figuring out if it's the greatest juke in this thread or not
it's always funny to me because I only bring it up as a joke where required and everyone instantly takes up arms and comes at me

I mean blender is a professional ass modeling tool, while SketchUp is a kid friendly drafting design program. There's no way anyone can ever think I'm serious. but somehow they do. SketchUp is amazing for stuff like low poly blockland models but for 50000 faced fully rigged and textured player models for unreal you'd obviously use blender

The scope, which is simple undetailed primitive models, is good for SketchUp. Of course it's good for blender, which I've never denied, but they both have different processes
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 07:04:13 AM by PhantOS »

and 500000 different features is an excuse, hell, its the reason its complicated. have you ever tried edge splitting or smooth shading in sketchup? what about face duplication and cutting? snapping to vertex or edges? animation????? moving stuff along its normals and rotating along its normals rather than global view?
honest to God I do all those things whenever I make a model in SketchUp. Only excepts are animation (I use blender for that) and smooth shading (I dont smooth shade)

All the things like edge splitting, edge cutting, etc is just done by drawing a new edge that intersects the edge you want, and that cuts it into different pieces. Save thing exists with faces, which can be used to cut whole models  if you intersect it. SketchUp is actually pretty resourceful, the difference is all the standard tools blender uses are compressed into one (line tool) which has a lot of versatility

(hat isn't finished if you couldn't tell by the back of the head poppin' through)
yes

the problem with that versitality is that the models you make are terribly inefficient, which you know from experience. thats the price of easy to use tools.

i guess its up to the modeler what they prefer more, the versitality or not needing to clean up their model. both are valid ways to approach modeling

[im g width=600]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/335298422187884549/414646882157985813/Blockland_00121.png[/img]

hell to the yes

the problem with that versitality is that the models you make are terribly inefficient, which you know from experience. thats the price of easy to use tools.

i guess its up to the modeler what they prefer more, the versitality or not needing to clean up their model. both are valid ways to approach modeling
well once I import it to blender I use the like, simplify faces command so all the ugly patchwork polygons dissapear and your left with clean faces