The new and improved 3D model topic!

Author Topic: The new and improved 3D model topic!  (Read 3772337 times)

hmmmmm getting back into it. I think it's been at least a couple of years since the last time I posted anything related to 3d modelling myself and, until the last month or so, almost as long since I had done anything. but I'm tryna take it seriously this time around. I've been really liking Grant Abbitt's videos about blender, cus for the most part they're more like exercises than following tutorials (which is something I've been doing a lot of lately). these chess pieces were part of one of his types of videos where he shows you an object and has you recreate it yourself, then he does it to show you "his" way or whatever. I ended up pausing his video after the pawn and just did the rest of them on my own, and they came out pretty well! they look almost nothing like his, except for the similarity inherent in creating chess pieces. he also literally didn't make the knight, rook, or bishop, so there was nothing to go off anyway but my own references and creativity. I'm particularly proud of the knight, which took the most effort, and looks the best for the work that put into it

and I made this plane during a short couple of weeks where I'd started getting interested last year. the horizontal stabilizer is a bit iffy, but otherwise I'm still pretty proud of it. it was to be part of a series of reproductions of planes from a stupid little mobile game called merge plane, but I really liked the plane designs in it lol so I was remaking them. I got stuck on the second but I'll probably take another stab at it soon, now that I've gotten more confidence modelling lately

the reference material, if you're curious:

I think that's pretty much all that's worth mentioning, since the last time I posted here about my own stuff. that was probably back in 2016 or 2014, geez

bishop hat has always had a fascinating shape to me. is it just a teardrop shape with a cut boolean'd into it?

bishop hat has always had a fascinating shape to me. is it just a teardrop shape with a cut boolean'd into it?
yeah. I considered trying to do a better job, maintaining edge flow, but I don't plan on doing anything with these afterwards, and it would not be very easy either, so I decided not to

all of the others have good enough edge flow though. even the knight, aside from the ears, which are just extruded from a couple of the faces up top

all of the others have good enough edge flow though. even the knight, aside from the ears, which are just extruded from a couple of the faces up top

if you're gonna be subsurfing it anyway, I think the knight's ears could stand to have less polys, the subsurf should take care of the curvature even if you reduce it to like a quad

good job on the overall shape of all the pieces though, really aesthetic

Never really textured anything before, apologies for how stank it looks lmao

-snip-

Never really textured anything before, apologies for how stank it looks lmao

bumper-to-bumper

Looks something straight out of F-Zero to be honest, look good for your first-time texturing models.

woah this topic almost died

ill drop some stuff in here again i guess

What the duck a update in creativity that isn’t feet drawings?

Hey, I've got something I'm proud of, haven't shared in here in a while.

hohoho wow thats effin awesome