Author Topic: The new and improved 3D model topic!  (Read 3772242 times)

sweet - any super hi res versions?
I rendered it at 4000x3000, so that's pretty hi-res already, at least by screen standards. I could render another but it'd take a bit.

I rendered it at 4000x3000, so that's pretty hi-res already, at least by screen standards. I could render another but it'd take a bit.
never mind then
the one you posted isn't 4k (its 2048x1536), but its big enough for my second monitor at 1920x1080.

I haven't used Blender in a really long time and I forget how to make hard edges between smoothed faces, someone pls help. Maya makes it really easy because it makes faces smooth via edges, so you can just easily set it as "make edge hard".

I haven't used Blender in a really long time and I forget how to make hard edges between smoothed faces, someone pls help. Maya makes it really easy because it makes faces smooth via edges, so you can just easily set it as "make edge hard".

Sorry, I'm still using 2.49 for the sake of not having to learn the new version (plus DTS exporter, plus I already know Maya anyway). :s

Sorry, I'm still using 2.49 for the sake of not having to learn the new version (plus DTS exporter, plus I already know Maya anyway). :s
is this it?

guessing here since i don't use old blender to model (other than slight model adjustments), srry

Mark sharp only sets the modifier for an object to mark it sharp. I really don't feel like marking every single edge on the object I want sharp when I only want a few sharp edges on a small amount of smooth faces. I know there was a hacky/quick method to making sharp edges. :c

Nvm I'm loving dumb, yeah its a combination of marking sharp and using the edge split modifier and applying the modifier. Thanks for the help :P
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 01:31:40 AM by ShadowsfeaR »

Mark sharp only sets the modifier for an object to mark it sharp. I really don't feel like marking every single edge on the object I want sharp when I only want a few sharp edges on a small amount of smooth faces. I know there was a hacky/quick method to making sharp edges. :c

Nvm I'm loving dumb, yeah its a combination of marking sharp and using the edge split modifier and applying the modifier. Thanks for the help :P
Although you don't have to apply the modifier if you don't want to. ;)
never mind then
the one you posted isn't 4k (its 2048x1536), but its big enough for my second monitor at 1920x1080.

Ah, that would be Facebook screwing up image quality without asking. If you want, I have an already cropped 16:9 version you can use for your 1080p monitor.

I've been off the horse for a while but there was a video on this bastard Mosin that looked killer and I figured I could make an OSR-style "scout rifle" out of it. Modeled it in Maya and brought it into Blender for export (I tried using DAE to DTS that a user posted here a little while ago but it didn't pan out).

that's kickass
welcome back shadowsfear

also is there a good blender-to-maya workflow? seeing that you can do the opposite im wondering if i could just model with blender's system and then import objects/individual objects into maya to animate and/or render.

While I was trying to import a Blockland hand model via both OBJ and DXF to try and get a size reference, I noticed neither imported the scale properly. It imported the model perfectly, zero errors, but the scale wasn't right. Another thing I didn't get to try was material names and proper material import (I didnt export the hand model with color, I just needed scale). Also I used Blender's render for the top image because I couldn't get Maya's raytracing render to stop producing grainy shadows and I didn't feel like drudging through tutorials to fix it. There's a lot of things I like about Maya's workflow and ease of modeling what I need, but Blender 2.49 has a lot of features for BL I can't live without, especially in the DTS export department.

Another one. I love the Cycles renderer.

Another one. I love the Cycles renderer.
What's with the aspect ratio?

What's with the aspect ratio?
These are based on sketches I did on 4:3 index cards in design class. I have cropped 16:9 versions as well.