The new and improved 3D model topic!

Author Topic: The new and improved 3D model topic!  (Read 3772331 times)

thanks! im gonna be animating it myself. its for my unity game, luckily unity now supports sketchup files so i can make realtime changes and see them in the game, and all the groups are separated into their own gameobjects.

thanks! im gonna be animating it myself. its for my unity game, luckily unity now supports sketchup files so i can make realtime changes and see them in the game, and all the groups are separated into their own gameobjects.

question 1: why are you still using sketchup
question 2: does sketchup even support animations

question 1: why are you still using sketchup
question 2: does sketchup even support animations
1) because its what i feel comfortable using to make my art
2) no but unity does so i can load the model's full hierarchy and add bones in unity

how is rigging in unity? do you get to paint skin weights?

for 3d its just bones, heirarchies and a dope sheet

how is rigging in unity? do you get to paint skin weights?
you can't paint bone weights in unity or sketchup. assuming phantos' model is separated into a different model in unity for each bone, hence "all the groups are separated into their own gameobjects".

Yea unity doesn't have any native 3d bone weight editor but all meshes have a bone weight array so you can (through code) set the weight of each vertex. If you had C# knowledge you could probably make a tool to paint bone weights easily, or if you have the cash you can buy assets for it https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/animation/puppet3d-111554

Basically all the things that most models support (animations, uv wrapping, bone weight, skeletons, dope sheet) are interfaced already in unity but don't have any tools or high level access from the editor. When you import like a blender obj model all the data is unpacked and added into the mesh component, so you can change things like uvs and animations in the code.

Editor interface wise, animating is handled through one dope sheet that allows you to set the transform of objects every frame. So you can basically follow the blender workflow of adding bones and parenting limbs to each bone and then building a hierarchy of bones, moving them every frame and assigning the parented transform changes
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 07:33:08 PM by PhantOS »

1) because its what i feel comfortable using to make my art
2) no but unity does so i can load the model's full hierarchy and add bones in unity
what the forget

dude just learn blender, it would be way more efficient

forget man you could use the Maya student version if you wanted. I'm pretty sure they don't require you to actually be a student anymore.

forget man you could use the Maya student version if you wanted. I'm pretty sure they don't require you to actually be a student anymore.
you can use it for 4 years and no they dont check but all your files are marked, at least the .mb files

this tbh, or import your models into here and add bones and such since blender supports it

yeah id recommend a different workflow as well, but it's not like you should feel pressured to

it would make literally no difference

this tbh, or import your models into here and add bones and such since blender supports it
im modeling for unity and unity has its own animation and mesh tools. right now i only need to make the mesh and its materials and in unity i can handle the rest. hell if i wanted to i could even write my own modeling program in unity, thats how versatile it is

blender is a 3d pipeline. if you're like me and you're just doing the mesh only then you're using 5% of blender's intended capabilities
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 01:23:07 PM by PhantOS »