Author Topic: The new and improved 3D model topic!  (Read 3772466 times)

what ill be rigging this week for a personal project
and they say they buy bionicle sets for the plot ;)

brb jumping off cliff

:-|

i showed her back because it reveals the mechanical meshes. im also working as hard as i can to get her out of that pose cut me some slack!!!!

flying animation

https://gfycat.com/EnormousSlimyGoose

probably will add body animations later, since its reasonable that this forgetin 1 ton hunk of machinery flailing behind you would cause some newton's third law
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 09:48:29 PM by Gytyyhgfffff »

it looks so fluid and majestic

so loving smooth, good use of segments. really should try those someday.

forgive me if this sounds condescending but that anim is done by a simple IK spline (it's smooth because it's calculated from a curve).
anyway, it would be cool if you slowed down the downward swings due to air resistance or gave the wings visible weight in general

oh yeah its clearly not that crazy compared to professional stuff, but its way past the vast majority of animated blockland stuff

part of the reason im so easily impressed is i dont actively study/practice this stuff so a lot of this terminology and approach is foreign to me

anyway, it would be cool if you slowed down the downward swings due to air resistance or gave the wings visible weight in general
i'll try that out later. i never really quite liked how effortlessly the wings flapped up and down. not really sure how i'm going to go about doing it, because i also want the flap animation to stay relatively short (say, less than 1-2 seconds long) because in the context of the game i'm designing there isn't that much room to do huge swooping dives and what not. i think an animation that is longer than that and super heavy wouldn't fit too well in the gameplay unfortunately

that being said, i will still for sure add air resistance/other weighty elements to the wings. thanks for the suggestion!

edit:
to add onto that, i want to sort of describe what i'm after b/c why not

my idea for the wings is when they aren't actively flying you around, they'll be in two different idle states depending on how long they have been idle for. in this mode, they'll sort of be like powered down. they'll be more robotic in their movement. as in, every movement is very deliberately made, is slow, and they move along one axis at a time. so for instance, if they were rotating on the x axis and needed to switch to the y axis to tilt them upwards above the player's head, the wings would slowly rotate along the x axis until they reach the proper x axis rotation, pause for a second (with proper bounce and everything for weight) and then start rotating up the y axis

however, when you enter flying mode, the big red spikes on the player's backpack and on the wings will glow bright red, and the wings suddenly gain a lot more fluidity that they did not have before. sort of like a cool mech powering up moment or somethin. that's not to say that they become entirely weightless and not susceptible to air resistance, but they'll seem a little more agile than they should and definitely more agile than they were in the idle state

that being said again, i'm still for sure adding air resistance/weight/etc to the flapping animation. this sort of reads like an excuse against that so i don't want to like come off wrong, i think its a good idea

thank you all for the support!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 07:23:41 PM by Gytyyhgfffff »

cursed llama

progress so far: ive been resetting it back to T-pose and retopo'ing it, ive found sooooo many mistakes in this model already but im happy with the steady progress.

leg 82 284 tris to 71 324 tris and counting
arm 91 516 tris to 48 968 tris

atleast the model doesn't look complex anymore

Click to see it in 3D
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 01:18:51 PM by Filipe »