Author Topic: Steam Weekend Deal: Far Cry/Far Cry 2  (Read 1534 times)

This weekend Valve is offering both games 50% off. However, we aren't going to consider Far Cry as part of the deal because it is complete stuff. Seriously. Don't buy it. Especially if you were planning on buying it because Far Cry 2 wouldn't work on your computer.

Far Cry 2 itself is a pretty fun game, but there are many mixed feelings towards the game due to the fact that it is an Xbox 360 port. However, it does feel like a PC game, but it has its quirks.

Brief gameplay on a mid-high end pc

Oh, almost forgot. Far Cry is $5 and Far Cry 2 is $10.

I have FarCry 2. I never play it.

I've installed it, realized how much I don't like it, then uninstalled it so many times. I lost count at like 10.

I did the same exact thing for Far Cry.

I bought the original farcry, it's not that bad. Except that the CD keys are invalid.

FarCry 2 is on GameTap.

I don't like it.

FC2 had a good idea, but poor execution.

Like so many games these days :(

I have seen Far Cry 2 at Half Price Books for $6.00 new.

FC2 had a good idea, but poor execution.

Like so many games these days :(

Poor execution? I like it a lot.

What do you not like about it? I'm asking because I'm curious, not because I think you're wrong.

I have seen Far Cry 2 at Half Price Books for $6.00 new.

Video games in books?

WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE?!

What do you not like about it? I'm asking because I'm curious, not because I think you're wrong.

like.... the fact that you spend 75% of the game driving around everywhere non stop. Only to go to the place to fight 10 enemies that die in the same order within 10 minutes.

Rinse repeat buy guns and upgrades and add boringness of that stupid disease you had.

like.... the fact that you spend 75% of the game driving around everywhere non stop.

I use the buses a lot, so I don't really spend too much time driving places.

Also you get less ill as you progress through the game, so you have to take malaria pills less often.

I like how after I save the prince or whatever, he gives me a new SUV and it ends up getting destroyed very shortly after. Im just driving around minding my own business when suddenly a car full of rebels starts shooting up my new SUV :(. I take them out and let the steam out of the SUV. Realizing how shot up it is I just drive it off a cliff into a river.

Do you ever get rid of the Malaria in the game?

It's a good game, It's just it had so much potential.

My gripe is how liner the areas kind of are, they are a few spot that are open plain but other then that there are in-scalable cliffs on both sides of you, so you can't very well do what you want to do.
Then there where a few other things that bothered me but I can't remember them. (No SDK?)

Did they ever happen to release that patch they said they would that added predators?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 10:11:20 PM by zackin5 »

I can say this about the game though, its very pretty!

Do you ever get rid of the Malaria in the game?

Eventually it becomes a non-issue. Attacks come very rarely and you can sprint a lot longer.

Personally, I thought the game was pretty good, but you have to make your own fun, as stupid as that sounds. If you just go around driving from mission to mission you'll get bored really fast. Try making every outpost along the way a mini-mission, don't just charge in with a jeep and switch to the machine gun, try stealthing into the area, using guerrilla tactics, or sniping. And use the bus as much as possible, it saves a lot of headaches.

The one thing that drives me absolutely crazy is the unforgiving difficulty spike about halfway through the 2nd map. Suddenly enemy jeeps have .50 machine guns and mark 19's which will kill you really quickly, even on normal.