Author Topic: The new and improved 3D model topic!  (Read 3895372 times)

it will be hard for me to ever get into using blender outside of blockland because not only is it a lot more difficult, a lot of the work made is really underappreciated.
mmh? what makes blockland models different from 'outside' models?
i only have 10 hours in Blockland so idk anything about the modelling scene

im talking about how low poly blockland models are compared to doing something like a player model for a large scale game

im talking about how low poly blockland models are compared to doing something like a player model for a large scale game
oh ts not so tough to get over this ;p
i can help u out if u want

nah ill figure it out when im ready

I'm going to start 3D modeling for a program i'm going to be doing next semester at a community college. Can anyone point me in a direction where I can learn more about using Blender and other programs? I've checked out Andrew Price, but he looks like some next-level stuff.

Sorry for the stuffty generic open-ended question by the way, I'm new to this but it's something I'm willing to sink a lot of time into

I'm going to start 3D modeling for a program i'm going to be doing next semester at a community college. Can anyone point me in a direction where I can learn more about using Blender and other programs? I've checked out Andrew Price, but he looks like some next-level stuff.

Sorry for the stuffty generic open-ended question by the way, I'm new to this but it's something I'm willing to sink a lot of time into
hmmm, honestly? the best way to learn blender is to learn the keybinds.
3D modeling, besides some things, pretty much speaks for itself.

ive gotten some tips from my disney friend about my 3D model, which ill share here for the heck of it

here is some more he wrote to me (about Maya, but it goes for Blender too)

I don't know too much from transitioning from Blender since I never learned that.  I started in 3ds Max but moved to maya early on myself.  Though I'm willing to bet someone out there has written some kind of article on the transition if you google it.  My recommendation though is to pick up maya and try to forget what you know about blender and get a fresh start.  Take your time; since you obviously know a thing or two about pushing polys around it's gonna be frustrating at first.  Keep it simple at first and you'll have a much better time with it than if you try to go full complexity with what you know from blender.  Try setting a small project goal for yourself to use maya and create very *very* simple scene, object, and character and just get a still render from it that you are happy with.  I started with something as easy as Kirby just to give you an idea of how simple you can start.  From what I've seen with other students, especially those with previous 3d experience in other software, is that they attack Maya with a very ambitious first project, hit a brick wall in the first stages of modeling because of complexity, and get frustrated, leaving a bad taste in their mouth for using the software.  Students that start off with a very easy project, while not as artistically challenged with it, tend to have smoother sailing, gain a more surface level understanding of the basics, and end up with something that is manageable and ultimately fun to work on, leaving them excited to take on something a little more complex next go around.  I hope this advice helps and don't wait to get started cause there's definitely a ton to learn.  I'm still learning every day myself!  Good luck!

also note

252 tris

when you extrude models like this

you can really save yourself some polycount by disconecting them and refilling the face on the bottom half

218 tris

and it looks exactly the same

u should avoid triangles like that though, gridflow it for even less vertices

u should avoid triangles like that though, gridflow it for even less vertices
i used triangles as an example for making models for video games

yes, but triangles should still be avoided, especially like this

some image heavy post

neato

can you give an angled view of that minigun-like weapon?

the hardest part about his tutorials is that he goes pretty fast, if you follow along with some blender cookie tutorials it can help you learn how the program works a lot better. but don't just watch, it helps a lot to actually follow along. I am going to be attempting the earth render by myself and I'll see if I can post it here soon

Most game engines will convert to tris if they don't support quads for some reason.

first ever model :o
NO FACE (View in 3D)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 06:04:30 AM by Conan »