Kaphost Blockland Servers

Poll

Online file storage like Google Drive? (monthly prices)

50GB ($3.00)
41 (11.2%)
100GB ($4.50)
17 (4.7%)
250GB ($7.50)
10 (2.7%)
500GB ($12.50)
7 (1.9%)
750GB ($16)
6 (1.6%)
1TB ($20)
30 (8.2%)
2-8TB (proportional to 1TB price)
0 (0%)
8-16TB (proportional to 1TB price)
43 (11.8%)
Prices too high (READ)
44 (12.1%)
No desire
167 (45.8%)

Total Members Voted: 365

Author Topic: Kaphost Blockland Servers  (Read 546705 times)

Your stupidity amuses me.

You are in no position to say something like that

My prices are the same...?
Tip: you really don't understand what's coming...
So if I have capability and motivation, what stops me from kicking RTB's ass?
Screenshot looks better than the last one you sent me!

I am thinking of starting my own hosting service maybe in the future, I have no idea on how to use/setup FTP, a billing page, or a website. I know how to make a DNS and that's about it lol. I would host from home since speeds are pretty good at first and if more demands ill rent a server. It would be cheaper and designed for private/small servers. I have two Intel Xeon X5690s so I should be able to fit a bunch of servers.

The lagstorms returneth tonight

It bothers me how "lag storms" seem to be referred to as normal and expected events with this paid service and nothing is done about it :/

My prices are the same...?
Tip: you really don't understand what's coming...
So if I have capability and motivation, what stops me from kicking RTB's ass?
It still looks ugly.

The lagstorms returneth tonight
Function over beauty.

Mhmm. Are you relaunching with a new provider by any chance?

IcyGamma's Final Review of Kaphost

Just a heads up to say that I think my hosting has expired now. You can go ahead and clean out the server.

Overall my experience with Kaphost was good, but spoiled at the end. I was pleased that Kalphiter looked into the payment method and found a way to let me pay without needing a Paypal, though part of me feels this should have been realized earlier.

The server was deployed quickly which was good. It was smooth running, uptime was near perfect; not a crash.

There was one incident where the master server stopped acknowledging my server was up. Restarting didn't help. I had to let it resolve itself, I'm not aware anyone has figured out why this happened.

Add-on enabling was annoying, even when removing the "enable all add-ons" add-on it seemed everything kept getting enabled, so I had to manually delete what I didn't want. I never reported this problem, because I couldn't be arsed given any technical resolutions with Kaphost seem to drag out and not get anywhere.

The server fulfilled my needs well until December. By this time, regular periods of lag would occur. They could last anywhere between 5 to 30 minutes, and longer. Lag spikes would occur that would last 5 to 20 seconds or more in between lag free moments of 5 to 8 seconds.

Despite regularly reporting of this issue, there was never any clear reason. The issues continued into January up to this point, by which time there were rumors of DDoS attacks but no evidence provided that made me believe this.

In short, Kaphost did the job without the frills. Initially customer service was good. Once he had my money, not as great. I'd go as far as to say all the problems I had were ignored or I was given vague unhelpful answers that equated to restarting BL or being told it wasn't the fault of Kaphost.

I'd recommend Kaphost if this was still 2012. As for 2013, despite having been prepared to buy another service subscription, the lag attacks have put me off. Whether this is a genuine problem with Kalphiters servers, or someone is smearing him with an illegal DDoS attack, its hard to justify hanging around right now.

6.5/10
Pros:
- Never seems to crash
- Very good server latency
- Well priced
- Quick deployment

Cons:
- Vague customer service
- Interface is not end-user friendly, not a problem for me but could be for others
- Deteriorated server performance from late 2012 onwards
- Fiddly add-on problems
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 09:00:39 PM by lcyGamma »

I really have no clue why anyone's saying anything before the kick-ass stage.

Official cause of issues today and yesterday:
Both Juniper EX3200 Router had a massive cpu load up to 100% from 21:36 to 22:05 (EST) which caused packetloss + vrrp flapping.

Right now they managed to get back to a normal level and everything should be running again.

Not necessarily an attack, but the server was being flooded which is why I misclassified it as an attack.

Everything should be fine from now on.

Today or tomorrow I'll tack on a month for every current client or client that has expired since November 10th.

Today or tomorrow I'll tack on a month for every current client or client that has expired since November 10th.
Cool. (Even if it doesn't apply to me)

I really have no clue why anyone's saying anything before the kick-ass stage.
if i went to a restaurant and my meal wasn't very good, it doesn't make sense to judge based on what the chef says it will be like in the future

Kaphost's service is having issues again!

Apache down! Apache down!