Author Topic: Blockyard - What the hell?  (Read 17068 times)

Thank you. c:

It is still a bit qurky but better.  The mouse gets unlocked whenever you press ESC or TAB for the toolbar and only gets locked within window again after you click in the window after the main/toolbar panels go away.  Not ideal but better.

Looks to me like another Roblox with a Blockland sounding name. :/

Looks to me like another Roblox with a Blockland sounding name. :/
You're a dumbass.

When you create yards with /createyards how do you remove them?

When you create yards with /createyards how do you remove them?

/createyards 0

Some dumbass put BLOCKLAND AN MINECRAFT RIPOFF in the comments. This has completely different game mechanics and in very little ways anything like those two games.

Some dumbass put BLOCKLAND AN MINECRAFT RIPOFF in the comments. This has completely different game mechanics and in very little ways anything like those two games.
"Anything with blocks is a ripoff!"

"Any game which uses any type of grid for constructive purposes is ripping off L.E.G.O, they were doing it first maggots!"

I've been playing this for a while, and I have to say it's pretty awesome. There are some things I'd like to have improvements on, though.
  • The old keyboard shortcuts should be available, without the need to press Shift.
  • The toolbar should always be shown, and items should be selectable through scrolling with the mouse wheel.
  • Selecting materials should be done without having to use the escape menu. Shift + scrolling maybe?
  • One should be able to put jets/launchers anywhere, not just on endpoints.
  • You should also be able to create plates and cuboids, not just beams. You should also be able to change the diameter on axles.
  • I'd also like to see some high friction materials as well, such as rubber.
I've also found a bug:
  • If you select a build tool, place a 'ghost block', select another tool without cancelling or putting down the previous one you well get two 'ghost blocks'. Once you place the new block the ghost block of the old tool will still appear at the connection.

It's funny hilarious because Blockland came first.

I bet if I made a game with ONE block, idiots would call it a mine craft ripoff.

I've been playing this for a while, and I have to say it's pretty awesome.

Thanks

The old keyboard shortcuts should be available, without the need to press Shift.

Another advantage of using the SHIFT approach for the shortcuts is that it frees up most keys to use for motors, jets, and launchers.  Prior to this change, it was tricky to select keys for motors, jets, and launchers that didn't conflict with shortcut key.  I'm leaning toward sticking with the SHIFT+tool key approach for shortcuts although I might be persuaded otherwise.

The toolbar should always be shown, and items should be selectable through scrolling with the mouse wheel.

That is an interesting approach.  I guess we could use Page Up/Page Down perhaps as keyboard equivalents to change tools.  I was thinking of the toolbar as something more for new users to expose them to the tools while experienced users would prefer SHIFT+tool key shortcuts to build things; thus, I preferred it to take up less space as you don't even need it when using SHIFT+tool key.  I've recorded this suggestion here though...

http://feedback.blockyard.com/forums/109385-general/suggestions/1852655-make-toolbar-always-visible-use-mousewheel-to-sel

Selecting materials should be done without having to use the escape menu. Shift + scrolling maybe?

Yeah, I don't like the materials in the Escape menu after the toolbar implementation either.  I've been keeping the releases short to keep the process iterative but probably should have moved the material selection in the last release as well.  I've added your suggestion here...

http://feedback.blockyard.com/forums/109385-general/suggestions/1852687-allow-changing-materials-by-spinning-mouse-wheel-o

One should be able to put jets/launchers anywhere, not just on endpoints.

Agree.  Already on the idea list here...

http://feedback.blockyard.com/forums/109385-general/suggestions/1779047-allow-jets-launchers-to-be-placed-anywhere

You should also be able to create plates and cuboids, not just beams. You should also be able to change the diameter on axles.

This creates some issues but already on the idea list here...

http://feedback.blockyard.com/forums/109385-general/suggestions/1833371-be-able-to-make-blocks-on-both-axis-like-x-and-y

I'd also like to see some high friction materials as well, such as rubber.

Sounds, cool.  Added to the idea list here...

http://feedback.blockyard.com/forums/109385-general/suggestions/1852705-create-high-low-friction-materials-like-rubber

If you select a build tool, place a 'ghost block', select another tool without cancelling or putting down the previous one you well get two 'ghost blocks'. Once you place the new block the ghost block of the old tool will still appear at the connection.

Bug?  Can't be.  That is now on my personal to-do list to fix this morning.

Your feedback is well thought out and much appreciated.

So, since this community provides such good feedback, I'll try experimenting with planned releases (maybe we can save a few development cycles tweaking concepts before they are implemented).

The next major feature is "Maps".   This feature will allow...

• Adding Create Map, Open Map, Play Map, Clear Map, and Delete Map buttons to the ESC menu
  • The Open Map dialog will allow selecting from a list of your own maps (your changes to the map will be saved)
  • The Play Map dialog will allow selecting from a list of maps created by others (your changes to the map will not be saved)

This release will lay the groundwork for the "Blueprints" feature.  The subsequent "Blueprints" feature will allow saving, sharing, and recreating individual objects on demand.  So, if you save a cool tank as a blueprint, you can use the blueprint to quickly create a tank army and you can share this tank blueprint with others.

Also, this release will lay the groundwork for the "Objectives" feature.  By specifying a "Timed" objective on a new map, you might create an obstacle course map that records the best time getting from point a to point b and anyone can play your map to see if they can record the best time. 

By specifying a "Conquest" objective on a new map, you would allow two teams to play on a map where the objective is to conquer all/most of the yards first (yards are captured by building anything in the yard and auto released if your stuff is destroyed from the yard) perhaps with resource limits implemented as well.

Thoughts?

Nice, but Fort wars would be nice too. Two teams have 5 or 10 minutes to build a fort, and then they fight. Simple :o EDIT: Fort wars ctf would be better, same rules as original, but your fort becomes a base for your flag.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 11:35:21 AM by SkullCandy »