Author Topic: Blockyard - What the hell?  (Read 17074 times)

I played tons of these type of games running on unity, its basically what you can take unity, press in a name, a couple controlls and ship it out

I have made a NEW SPORT!
Place a 1x2 Block.
Add jet on one end.
Take control.
Stand on top of block
MAX SPEED TO HELL
BLOCK JET SURFING BABY!
How do you make it go? :o

How do you make it go? :o

If you have a jet (or a motor or a launcher) on an object, you can control it by....

1) Pressing E anywhere on the object
2) Finding the right keys in the upper left control panel to control the jet (probably "1" and "2" keys)

It looks pretty interesting, but almost boring somehow. There doesn't seem to be like, a theme that's interesting, for me at least. It's just sand and sky.

Also the way you integrated like all of the controls into the keyboard might get a little confusing, wouldn't it? :I

EDIT: I think I'll sit back and watch where this goes.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 12:23:22 PM by Caution »

It looks pretty interesting, but almost boring somehow. There doesn't seem to be like, a theme that's interesting, for me at least. It's just sand and sky.

Yep, still have making an interesting terrain on the to-do list.

Also the way you integrated like all of the controls into the keyboard might get a little confusing, wouldn't it? :I

Yep, worked ok when we just had two keyboard commands initially (block and axle) but it is way too many keys now.  Switching to a toolbar to choose an object to build and clicking and dragging is probably at the top of the priority list.

EDIT: I think I'll sit back and watch where this goes.

Makes sense -- it is a work in progress.

Released v0.7.08...

- Added decay parameter for motors/jets (can turn themselves off over time)
- Added key mode parameter for motors/jets (can now hold down keys to change)
- Added Edit Motor/Connection dialogs (press SHIFT+C over a connection)
- Added Edit Jet dialog (press SHIFT+J over a jet)
- Added Edit Launcher dialog (press SHIFT+L over a launcher)
- Added TAB key to repeat settings on new motor, jet, launcher, etc
- Added ability to create rectangular yards
- Reduced quirkiness of attempting to move elevator/platform past limit
- Implemented new icon

If you play at www.blockyard..com, you may need to refresh to see the newest version.  If you play the downloaded client, you should see an Update Available message in the lower right the next time you start the client.

It actually seems to host a lot of Roblox's earlier ideas, only executed them better, but then again I guess there's only so many different views you can take with a construction game, but even the blue ball block editor thing is in common. It seems really similar.

Actually right now I'm playing it and I'm surprised how cool this is and how smooth everything flows. :o

There should be a joint you can stick on things, to make them stay upright.  With options to how straight you want it to stay up, like completely up, or anywhere in between a 0 and 45 degree angle.

MY ROCKET SHIP SHALL BECOME SKY WORTHING AFDGDFG

There should be a joint you can stick on things, to make them stay upright.  With options to how straight you want it to stay up, like completely up, or anywhere in between a 0 and 45 degree angle.

MY ROCKET SHIP SHALL BECOME SKY WORTHING AFDGDFG
A better implementation would be something which applies a force to the object it is attached to, constantly trying to make the object point straight up with whatever amount of force you choose.

hosting
my name is davestrider
no pass

wtf how do i kick/ban

@Firesharkstudios

A idea is you could be able to make for instance, climbable versions of the trees.

wtf how do i kick/ban

Well.......there is no kick/ban yet.  Not because it is not important but simply hasn't been done yet.  We did enough of the multiplayer to confirm the game design would work in multiplayer but it is simply a bare bones multiplayer at this point.   You can't even see who is all connected to your game currently (another big gap).

I've added this feature here though...

http://feedback.blockyard.com/forums/109385-general/suggestions/1828943-implement-kick-ban

Also, there should be a way to change textures