Badspot interview! (Send in your questions)

Poll

Is a Badspot text interview a good idea?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Badspot interview! (Send in your questions)  (Read 10414 times)

"What do you think of users taking your event system and abusing it?"

blockland on steam with free tf2 hat

steam has tons of no name indy games. really horsecrap ones to. ones no one would ever even hear about it they weren't on steam.
the standard browsing user on steam would stuff themselves if they find a sandbox game like blockland.
what did they have to do to get in that boat?

I'm afraid it comes down to blockland not being "indie" enough, or possibly due to their relationship with lego.

We're thinking of renaming blockland to "Crazy Twisted Interconnecting Blocks Game", or lowering the texture resolution, we're hoping one of these changes will gain blockland more critical acclaim.

I'm afraid it comes down to blockland not being "indie" enough, or possibly due to their relationship with lego.

We're thinking of renaming blockland to "Crazy Twisted Interconnecting Blocks Game", or lowering the texture resolution, we're hoping one of these changes will gain blockland more critical acclaim.
ahahahaa

um what

I think niether of these things matter. I mean look at Roblox. They are lego based and they have a TV Commerical. If Lego wanted to sue them, then they would have by now.

I think Blockland just needs better advertising and to be on steam. Minecraft did incredibly well on steam along with a bunch of other indie games like Portal.

Minecraft did incredibly well on steam
no
indie games like Portal.
NO
Minecraft is not on steam and portal was made by valve.

Minecraft is not on steam and portal was made by valve.

So was TF2.

I'm afraid it comes down to blockland not being "indie" enough
Add in a bunch of looping chiptunes and pixelate the hell out of everything with custom shaders.

I think Blockland just needs better advertising and to be on steam. Minecraft did incredibly well on steam along with a bunch of other indie games like Portal.
I think the question of "Why isn't Blockland on Steam?" is a lot more complex and interesting than it sounds.

There's a number of other issues to consider before putting it on steam that I can see. Some things just aren't going to scale nicely when you start throwing tons of users at it. For example, the servers page on the site would be pretty much unusable (although I don't know how much it's used right now anyway). Both the authentication server and the master server would have to be able to deal with the larger volume of traffic, this is an issue that's brought down other small indie games too. There's also a certain percentage of the income that goes back to Valve. New game keys for the steam version would be pretty simple, you'd get the key popup like you do on other steam games and could just copy/paste it into the authentication box. I don't know how non-steam keys would work though. There would either need to be a separate stand-alone client (which several steam games have, off the top of my head, mount&blade), or you would need to be able to redeem your old key through steam (pretty sure valve only does this for valve games though), or there would need to be a demo version on steam that you could also enter your key into. Being on steam also doesn't guarantee success, there are a number of indie games on steam that didn't sell very many copies. When we think of steam we remember all the indie games success stories like Super Meat Boy, and probably forget some of the other games like Zero Gear that sold well at first and then petered out, despite being a good game. As far as I know, all the multiplayer servers for Zero Gear are empty. Blockland would probably avoid this fate though, it's already got an active community and plenty of players.

On the other hand it does simplify some things. Steam can handle all the monetary transactions, foreign conversions, etc and Badspot doesn't have to deal with international money orders coming into is PO box anymore. It also automatically collects sales information for you so it's easy to see how many copies you sold and how much money you made. You get all the publicity that comes with being published on one of the largest game markets in the world. You would also be able to take part in the indie bundles and random events steam does, like the whole potato sack thing. The advantage of being in something like the potato sack is huge, all the games in it sold really well (at a discount of course) plus they all got featured on practically every gaming website in the universe.

Finally RTB wouldn't need to maintain the chat anymore, nor would it need to implement that gallery system that's been proposed, since steam now lets you throw 1gb of screenshots up on your steam profile. However; that's not really anything Badspot would benefit from, beyond the fact that now everyone could chat with their friends and they wouldn't need a mod to do it anymore.

Wedge, you should have started a new post...

However; that's not really anything Badspot would benefit from, beyond the fact that now everyone could chat with their friends and they wouldn't need a mod to do it anymore.
Can't steam already be used in blockland to chat ingame?
I believe I've done so.
As far as I know, all the multiplayer servers for Zero Gear are empty. Blockland would probably avoid this fate though, it's already got an active community and plenty of players.
Thing is, Blockland is really easy to host with for almost anyone.
And the game has single player appeal.
That and with all the people hosting dedi waiting for more players; the only way the majoritiy of blockland's servers would become empty is if there were so many servers the users couldn't balance out well anymore.

Wedge, you should have started a new post...
Not really, he's still more or less on the discussion topic.

Also, I've always kinda wondered if Blockland counts as an indie game.
I mean, how much is it considered by "garage games"?

Can't steam already be used in blockland to chat ingame?
Yeah, it works with the overlay. Which is a good sign, if Badspot every decides to sell it through Steam, since one of the first things games that start selling steam copies have to do is send out a patch to fix the overlay because they broke it. Which reminds me that Badspot could also get rid of all the updater code and use steam updates.

Also, I've always kinda wondered if Blockland counts as an indie game.
I mean, how much is it considered by "garage games"?
Sanctum was published on the Unreal engine and is still considered an indie game. When you license the engine from garage games it's yours, you don't have to pay them any royalties or anything. The newer licenses require splash screens and stuff, the older one that Blockland would be licensed under doesn't require a splash screen, although you still have to include the garagegames credits in your help/credits section. In any case, having engine branding on it wouldn't make it not an indie game.

Yeah, it works with the overlay.
Nope. Leading the overlay breaks keyboard input so you have to switch window (twice) top get it to work again.

New game keys for the steam version would be pretty simple, you'd get the key popup like you do on other steam games and could just copy/paste it into the authentication box. I don't know how non-steam keys would work though. There would either need to be a separate stand-alone client (which several steam games have, off the top of my head, mount&blade), or you would need to be able to redeem your old key through steam (pretty sure valve only does this for valve games though), or there would need to be a demo version on steam that you could also enter your key into.
Desura looks promising here, especially after reading one of the dev posts on the Project Zomboid forum:

Quote from: Developer
So it's hardly a secret now that we're going on Desura. The great thing, that we found out yesterday, is that the chaps at Desura have gone way above and beyond what we expected and have written an API specifically for 'alphafunding' games. While I suspect it's been instigated by us requesting stuff for Project Zomboid, it's to be used on other upcoming indie titles too.
[...]
In the future Desura could add a whole bunch of things to the 'alphafunding' games, to allow for 'pay what you want' and all sorts, so we imagine it will help out a lot of other indies who would otherwise be in a difficult position with payments and such as we were.
Of course Blockland isn't in alpha, but I bet it could still qualify. Many people already know about Blockland and the community is fairly active, so it seems to me like Desura would have no problem with supporting the game. Besides Desura, I think that the Project Zomboid developers have managed to get their game on steam too.. somehow.