Author Topic: Can someone explain a paradox to me?  (Read 1501 times)

yeah, considering there's multiple forms of irony (situational, verbal, etc.) it's not terribly easy to just define irony. the definition i gave is closer to verbal irony than anything else, so let's just go with that.

The below statement is true
The above statement is false.
yes we already had this earlier good job.

The below statement is true
The above statement is false.
The below sentence is a lie.
The above sentence is truth.

one of the biggest pains in the ass during the school year is teaching the kids the difference between lies, oxymora, ironic statements, and paradoxes.
here's what i generally define each one as:
lie: a statement that is incorrect with the intent of misleading to believe that the lie is truth; being wrong is not a lie, it is a mistake
oxymoron: a statement that essentially has two things being used as one subject despite being opposites
irony: a statement that can be incorrect or inaccurate but with the intention of humor or insult, similar to sarcasm but not quite
paradox: a statement that loops with impossibilities (the do-until loop of language, as i like to say) by contradicting itself

hei guize eyem' an english teecher!
So they dont know the difference between irony and a lie? the forget?
You work at a mental hospital?

Heres another paradox since im bored-
In the future you discover a time machine, you go back in time to when you were younger and teach yourself to invent something that turned out to be massive (tv, phone whatever the forget) so that you would be famous and rich, but then, since you were already famous and rich you would never have traveled back in time to teach yourself to incent it, thus it never happened.
Paradox.

And just one more :3-
You go back in time and kill your grandmother, do you die? No, if you were never born then you couldnt have gone back in time and killed her, therefor she is still alive and you never went back in time atall.
Paramaradox.

So they dont know the difference between irony and a lie? the forget?
You work at a mental hospital?
it's a broad example using all of the terms, i never said it was anything specifically. my students are probably smarter than you before they even get in the class.

it's a broad example using all of the terms, i never said it was anything specifically. my students are probably smarter than you before they even get in the class.
Before in class = handicaps
Enter the room = Scientific geniuses
You need to go back to school now.

Before in class = handicaps
Enter the room = Scientific geniuses
You need to go back to school now.
you're an idiot.
way to make completely unfounded claims about honors students.

Yeah, Taboo was my English teacher last year. Please stop harassing him.

you're an idiot.
way to make completely unfounded claims about honors students.
You're an idiot.
Apparently people are stupid normally but when they walk into a specific room they get smart.

You're an idiot.
Apparently people are stupid normally but when they walk into a specific room they get smart.
You're an idiot. He's saying thatr his students are above average. Not that hard to understand.

my students are probably smarter than you before they even get in the class.

You're an idiot. He's saying thatr his students are above average. Not that hard to understand.
Read that.
So when they are in class they are smarter then when they arent? Walk in, smart, walk out, not?

EDIT: Derailed topic is derailed.

You're an idiot.

You're a creationist. You have no right to insult the intelligence of others.

Read that.
So when they are in class they are smarter then when they arent? Walk in, smart, walk out, not?

EDIT: Derailed topic is derailed.
He is sayign that his students are smarter than you before they go into class to go learn something. He's basically calling you stupid and saying that his students without learning are smarter than you.