Poll

32bit Windows 7 or 64bit Windows 7?

16 (11.9%)
119 (88.1%)

Total Members Voted: 135

Author Topic: Which is better, 32-bit Windows or 64-bit?  (Read 3117 times)

64. No argument.

I don't think all programs are for 64 though. I might just be loving handicapped.

32-bit Windows allows a maximum of 4GB of system memory. This includes both system RAM and video card ram (VRAM). So if you have a video card with 1GB of RAM (most do nowadays), then that limits the total usable system RAM to 3GB (the 1GB VRAM is taken out of the 4GB total). Even if you have 8GB installed, the OS can only support 4GB total. An exception is Windows 7 Starter, which only supports 2GB.

64-bit Windows allows a maximum of 192GB of system memory. This is lots, obviously. The most supported by any modern day motherboard at the highest end is 48GB anyway. Exceptions to this are Windows 7 Home Basic which has a max of 8GB, and Windows 7 Home Premium which has a max of 16GB, which leaves Windows 7 Ultimate, Professional and Enterprise with 192GB.

I run 64bit, but I have a partition that has 32bit W7 installed so I can play old 8/16bit games that I can't on 64bit

I found out like a month ago that I have a 64 bit processor, but I have like no RAM so I just run 32

yeah we live in golf world. where smaller numbers are better.

yeah we live in golf world. where smaller numbers are better.
Screw that! Bigger is better!

How about adobe software compatibility? I just got Flash. (32-bit)

64 bit is nice except I can't run my ooold games :c

64 can run all 32-bit programs.

Only get the 64-bit version of software if you are running a 64-bit OS.

i got the 64th 64 bit vote :P

I don't see why any performance increase would be worth it if you can't play any games because your graphics drivers don't support 64bit.

I could just imagine the OP upgrading to a 64-bit version of Windows because we all said "it was better" and then messing up his computer.
A 64-bit processor is better than a 32-bit processor because it can handle bigger numbers without splitting them into smaller chunks. Of course, this can only be utilized with a 64-bit operating system. Also, if the graphics card in your computer doesn't have drivers for Windows 7 64-bit, it most likely doesn't have a 64-bit processor.
EDIT:
32-bit software should run just fine, but you won't get the extra performance boost.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 03:35:54 PM by Pentium »

64. I have Windows 7 64, 4GB ram, I haven't crashed ONCE.