Windows 8

Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 5156 times)

Partly your fingers typing this but mainly your brain for commanding them to do so.
Hey, lay off the fingers. They're just following orders that are literally impossible to refuse.

Hey, lay off the fingers. They're just following orders that are literally impossible to refuse.
He might have some sort of disease that forgets that up. What do I know?

I have my laptop dual-booting this. Windows 8 = Meh.

Metro UI looks kind of big and redundant, I think I'll wait until the next OS.

Vista took up a stuff ton of resources.

When people first move from Windows XP to Windows Vista or Windows 7 and bring up a RAM usage meter, they often panic. What they see is something like Figure A.

Figure A

Does Windows 7 really use more than 8 GB of RAM?!

Wow, that looks scary, doesn’t it? The system is doing just about nothing (1% CPU usage) but needs 8.84 GB of physical RAM to run. Here’s what is really happening.

Starting in Vista, Windows got aggressive about RAM use. The engineers at Microsoft made it pre-allocate RAM and pre-cache commonly used items, even if they were not actually in use. For example, if you use Word a lot, it will keep Word in memory ready to be used. Obviously, this lets it chew up a ton of RAM, and why not? It isn’t like you were using the RAM anyway, and you will eventually be using it, most likely for the purposes Windows is preparing for. Applications start much faster as a result.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10things/dont-be-fooled-by-these-10-pc-performance-myths/2703

Huh, I never knew that.

If I run a game that requires a lot of RAM, it seems that my usage will go from 22% to 16% when I close it.
I think it's clearing that common stuff to make room for my game. :o

^
R.I.P. BSoD screen that showed you everything

BSoESF

Blue Screen of Emoticon Sad Face.

At least now people wont get a BSoD then think their computer is broken

There's still blue screens in windows 8?

Bluescreen of Sad Faec.

I'm going to give it a miss.
If this is the permanant design then i'm going to flick on one of the linuxs, or hopefully ReactOS will be a decent OS by time

New BSoD

lol

i saw that too last night. also go to repair your computer in the win 8 setup.

refreshing pc = HOLY stuff MS FEELS FOR THE CUSTOMERS.

reseting pc = Flashing to default settings like a tablet?

it's really cool so far.