9 (2.9%)
Morrowind
37 (12%)
Oblivion
69 (22.3%)
Skyrim
188 (60.8%)

Total Members Voted: 309

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Megathread  (Read 524250 times)

Update;
TES V: Skyrim Legendary Edition is now 66% off. (£6.79)
TES V: Skyrim base game is now 75% off. (£2.49)
TES V: Skyrim DLC are now 50% off. (£6.99 Dawnguard/Dragonborn, £1.73 Hearthfire)

TES IV: Oblivion Game of the Year Edition Deluxe now 75% off (£4.99)
TES IV: Oblivion Game of the Year Edition now 75% off (£3.24)

TES III: Morrowind Game of the Year Edition now 75% off (£3.24)

'Data' is the skse data folder (followed gopher's steps at 9:17)
Are you crashing, try changing the load order to the following IN THIS ORDER:

Alt start to bottom
Immersive arm/wep to top
WATER to top
Unofficial patch to top
Estate to second last
Climates to top
ENB climates to top
Beautiful WR before Estate

I just bought this.
http://store.bethsoft.com/alduins-wall-lithograph.html

I'm looking forward to it arriving, but currently kicking myself over the cost.
$20 isn't much, being £11.
But it's $22 more for the shipping, so I actually pay more than the cost of the item to have it delivered.
In total it was $42, just under £25.

I have been eyeing it up for ages though.

Edit: By the way, news for any TES:O players.
http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-gb/news/post/2014/07/22/creating-eso-identity-and-update-3

The next big update, update 3, brings dyes for all your clothes.
Dyes are earnt through the achievement system (giving you more reason to go after them).
Each item of clothing can be dyed with 3 colours at once, at any of the new dying stations, absolutely free.
Dyes are designed to not remove the feel of clothes, so that a dyed piece of leather or metal still looks like leather or metal. And furthermore some special dyes can add in effects, like iridescent colours.
Certain colours are also linked towards types of achievements. So, blue mage-like colours are more closely linked to Mages Guild achievements, and gold colours are more closely linked to Item Quality achievements, such as fixing legendary glyphs to legendary weapons.

There are new achievements too to help allow for a fuller range of colour, and there's a chance of more colours becoming available in the future.
No word though on whether achievements like the Collectibles tab will be introduced yet or not (I haven't played in a couple weeks but I assume they've still yet to be introduced).

There's also news for Guilds now.
To help customise guilds there are new symbols, colours and tabards which Guild Masters can use to assign to their guilds and the levels in a guild.
So when a guild rushes you in PvP you can identify the rank of individual guild members and identify the guild through their tabards.

Furthermore, there's now traders dotted all across the world in cities and towns. These traders can be bid upon by different guilds, in a blind bid style.
Each guild can bid on one trader each week.
Should they have the highest bid, then that trader in that position will work for that guild for a week.
They will sell the Guilds guildstore items to all players who happen to visit that trader.
This earns the guild more money, as the entire guild gets a cut from these transactions.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 10:22:28 AM by sir dooble »

I don't play a lot of MMOs that have crafting systems that work quite like TESOs, but I hope that they don't all have such terrible EXP systems.

For the most part, earning EXP in the crafting system (at least as far as Smithing, Clothes crafting and woodworking go) is best earned through deconstructing items, particularly if they were crafted by another player.
Crafting items earns you some experience, but it's minimal in comparison.
However, that's not to say you couldn't level up through crafting (at least at the lowest crafting levels).

I was reasonably close to levelling up my blacksmithing, but ran out of found items to deconstruct (blacksmithing covers weapons (bar staves and bows) and heavy armour). So I decided to see if I could level up (which I need to be able to put in a perk to start crafting with the next tier of material) through crafting.
I ran a little experiment to see how much experience I get though through crafting with the different materials, and the different amounts of material I can use (higher amounts produce higher leveled items).

Here's the results;
Blacksmithing
EXP per Material

3 Iron     - axe - 32390->32438 - +48
4 Steel    - axe - 32438->32696 - +68
5 Orichalc - axe - 32696->33141 - +445
6 Dwarven  - axe - 33141->33787 - +645
10 Dwarven - axe - 33787->34665 - +878

48/3   = 16 XP    (per Ingot)
68/4   = 17 XP    (per Ingot)
445/5  = 89 XP    (per Ingot)
645/6  = 107.5 XP (per Ingot)
878/10 = 87.8  XP (per Ingot)

EXP - 34665/43420 = 8755
8775/878 = 10  (9.97)   = 100 Dwarven
8775/645 = 14  (13.6)   = 84 Dwarven
8775/445 = 20  (19.7)   = 100 Orichalc
8775/68  = 130 (129.04) = 520 Steel
8775/48  = 183 (182.2)  = 549 Iron

From the first section you can see me using different materials on the same weapon, a single-handed axe.
The axe, like all items, has a minimum number of materials required to craft it at it's lowest level.
That increases throughout the tiers.
At Iron level, I need a minimum of 3. At Steel it's 4, Orichalc 5, Dwarven 6, and so on and so forth.
I did also test out a Dwarven Axe at the maximum number of materials possible, 10.

As you can see, I earn more experience for using higher levels.
Below that is the EXP per ingot used. It's clear that even though I have to use more ingots at higher levels, I still earn more EXP per ingot used.
Underneath this you can see how many axes I would have to craft, and the amount of ingots therefore required, for me to level up.
As expected, I need more crafts for lower leveled materials.
However, as you'll notice, there's a bit of a peculiarity between the amount of Ingots I'd need if I were to use 10 Dwarven a go, compared to 6.
Despite needing more individual crafts to level up at 6, I'd be used fewer ingots than if I crafted 10 for a smaller amount of axes.
Also, I earn more EXP per Ingot of Orichalcum, when using the minimum, than if I use the highest amount of Dwarven.
Hence the fact it takes 100 ingots of Orichalcum(5) and Dwarven(10) to level up from where I was.

So this led me to test out the amount of EXP earnt per Ingot within a tier;
EXP per Ingot.

878/10 = 87.8  XP (per Dwarven)
645/6  = 107.5 XP (per Dwarven)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
3 Iron - axe - 32390->32438 - +48
4 Iron - axe - 34665->34760 - +95
5 Iron - axe - 34760->34887 - +127
6 Iron - axe - 34887->35036 - +149
7 Iron - axe - 35036->35215 - +179
8 Iron - axe - 35215->35418 - +203
9 Iron - axe - 35621->35849 - +228

48/3  = 16    (per Iron)
95/4  = 23.75 (per Iron)
127/5 = 25.4  (per Iron)
149/6 = 24.83 (per Iron)
179/7 = 25.57 (per Iron)
203/8 = 25.38 (per Iron)
228/9 = 25.33 (per Iron)

As you can see, with the Dwarven Ingots, I happen to earn more EXP per ingot when I use a lower amount of materials.
Should I use more materials the amount of EXP I earn per ingot is lower. Therefore it's less efficient to use more ingots.

I tested this out again with Iron axes, using each of the varying amounts of material I can use.
Overall, as following the above pattern, I earn more EXP for using more materials.
But again, it's a different story if I consider how efficient this is.

Ultimately 3 Iron Ingots gives the lowest amount of total EXP and is the least efficient (unlike the Dwarven Ingots).
But, with the other amounts, I pretty much never earn more, nor less, EXP per Ingot when using more materials.
It's stuck at roughly 25 XP per Ingot.

In total, what this means is that you will earn more EXP for crafting with a higher levelled material.
But, I earn less EXP for using more materials.
To me, that's completely counterintuitive. Surely I should gain more EXP for using higher levelled materials and more of them, as I am ultimately crafting a higher levelled item. Furthermore, I'm using more materials per craft, and materials are fairly rare to gather (requiring you to find a considerable amount of raw ore to then smelt into usable ingots).

Finally, let's see how this difference in EXP affects the amount of EXP I can get in a full stack of materials.
Full Stack Crafting
1 full stack Dwarven Ingots = 100.

10 Dwarven - axe - 100/10 = 10 crafts per stack - 878 XP per craft - 8780 XP per stack  - Remaining Ingots = 0
6 Dwarven  - axe - 100/6 = 16 crafts per stack  - 645 XP per craft - 10320 XP per stack - Remaining Ingots = 4

Difference = +1540 XP (plus 4 Ingots)

So, even when mass smithing is taken into consideration, I earn 1540+ XP for using 4 fewer Ingots per craft.
And on top of that, I retain 4 extra Ingots, which means if I had more than 100 total, I could craft even more.

Is it just me or is this system really bizarre? I understand that the XP system for crafting isn't focussed on actual crafting, more so on deconstructing. But even so, should crafting be that backwards? Should it be more efficient to use the lowest amount of material in a tier, or that using the highest amount of material in a tier is equally efficient as using the lowest amount in the below tier?

I feel like I would really like ESO if it wasn't an Elder Scrolls game.

I have a question about TES2: Daggerfall.
How do i get the good equipment? all i ever find, even at a moderate level of 14, i keep finding iron and chainmail stuff.