Author Topic: A new forum board  (Read 3843 times)

"I have a dream that one day we will have a new board on Blockland.us/smf. And in which the 'leetest' mods will be put in place!'"

Basically I want a board will all the best add-ons. Here are my reasons:

Advantages for Badspot:

+ No more nubs making packs of best mods, that he will fail because there are too many. Instead they can just browse the new forum board were they all will be
+ Thats my only advantage for Badspot

Advantages for the community:

+ Easy to find the best mods, COZ THEY ARE LEET LIEK
+ Confidence boost for people whose mods get moved into the leet board
+ People will strive for their mods to get put in the leet forum thus better quality mods.

"That my friends, that is my dream".

Could use:
TINY PORTAL! THATS IT!
Then we have everything we will ever need >: D

A Board that noone can make subjects in that is filled with mods that get high downloads would be cool.

We used to have one of these at RTB, and we took it down to redo it better for retail. Sound good?

why? so the already elitist community can measure their e-snake even better?
i can look through a single section easier then 2

Who's elitist? The only elitist people I know are idiots anyway, and most people ignore them. Plus, nobody's forcing you to look at 2, you can choose just one. IMHO, if someone can improve something for the community and provide a service, then they should feel obligated to help out a little bit with it.

RTB forums is going to go down hill very fast as soon as the new RTB is released so many wars will start over the Beta and Retail versions of Blockland.

This Board idea is alright I guess but you'd think Badspot wouldn't do it, atleast with the Blockland Forums there isn't as much judgmental as the RTB forums.

No, there isn't as much judging here.... you numpty head.

(No offence, that was just there to help prove my point)

So, I'm actually interested: Do you guys feel like the RTB forums are un-friendly? We try to do everything we can to make it easy for people to fit in and work together there. We've never meant to compete with these forums, we only want to help add to the community in ways that we wouldn't be able to here. Badspot doesn't have the time to devote to just working on these forums all day, which is why we try to pick up the slack over at RTB. We have a good reporting system, rep points for limited user-moderation, a bunch of moderators that are watching threads all over the place, a forum for people's servers and societies (kind of like the clan forum here), a very helpful modding community, a wiki, and a bunch more stuff planned soon like the new downloads section.

There will be a couple growing pains involved when we stop supporting the old beta, but that's more of a problem for the staff at RTB since we're going to be cracking down on those kinds of arguments really hard. Old beta players will either probably leave or buy retail. We're not very interesting in making it attractive for people to hold out on buying.

I think it's only going to get much better when RTB for retail (2.0) comes out because we're going to focus MUCH more on making it easy for people to get their add-ons released to the masses. We're fairly confident and excited that almost everyone will start going to RTB's forums to find their favorite mods quickly, and share them with friends.

I'd also like to ask for any suggestions you guys have to make the new downloads section the best it can be. We're already going to let people upload their mods, screenshots, instructions, etc like before (but not broken at all this time like screenshots were before). People will still be able to rate and comment on mods too, and we'll have downoad counters to make it easy for people to find the best mods, and we'll be sorting "good" user mods into a special section if they are at a high-quality level, so you don't have to wade through crap to find good mods. So, if you guys have other ideas, please let us know since we're doing this all just for you! :)

So, I'm actually interested: Do you guys feel like the RTB forums are un-friendly? We try to do everything we can to make it easy for people to fit in and work together there. We've never meant to compete with these forums, we only want to help add to the community in ways that we wouldn't be able to here. Badspot doesn't have the time to devote to just working on these forums all day, which is why we try to pick up the slack over at RTB. We have a good reporting system, rep points for limited user-moderation, a bunch of moderators that are watching threads all over the place, a forum for people's servers and societies (kind of like the clan forum here), a very helpful modding community, a wiki, and a bunch more stuff planned soon like the new downloads section.

There will be a couple growing pains involved when we stop supporting the old beta, but that's more of a problem for the staff at RTB since we're going to be cracking down on those kinds of arguments really hard. Old beta players will either probably leave or buy retail. We're not very interesting in making it attractive for people to hold out on buying.

I think it's only going to get much better when RTB for retail (2.0) comes out because we're going to focus MUCH more on making it easy for people to get their add-ons released to the masses. We're fairly confident and excited that almost everyone will start going to RTB's forums to find their favorite mods quickly, and share them with friends.

I'd also like to ask for any suggestions you guys have to make the new downloads section the best it can be. We're already going to let people upload their mods, screenshots, instructions, etc like before (but not broken at all this time like screenshots were before). People will still be able to rate and comment on mods too, and we'll have downoad counters to make it easy for people to find the best mods, and we'll be sorting "good" user mods into a special section if they are at a high-quality level, so you don't have to wade through crap to find good mods. So, if you guys have other ideas, please let us know since we're doing this all just for you! :)
  • Download section:
    • Multiple screenshots
    • BBcode
    • Hall of fame
    • Icons for the different types of addons (brick, vehicle, weapon, script, ...)
  • Even more user moderation (like facepunch studios):
    • Post intelligence (which checks for proper spelling, all caps, capital letters, periods, extensive colors, ...
    • Different types of rep points: funny, helpful, agree, disagree, ...
    • Maybe hide bad posts in a thread (like digg does)
  • A system to make avatars from predetermined minifig pieces/decals
  • A retail-only wiki
  • Gallery rating system (each user can give a build x/5 bricks, average is shown in the topic title)

• Download section:
    • Multiple screenshots
    • BBcode
    • Hall of fame
    • Icons for the different types of addons (brick, vehicle, weapon, script, ...)
  • Even more user moderation (like facepunch studios):
    • Post intelligence (which checks for proper spelling, all caps, capital letters, periods, extensive colors, ...
    • Different types of rep points: funny, helpful, agree, disagree, ...
    • Maybe hide bad posts in a thread (like digg does)
  • A system to make avatars from predetermined minifig pieces/decals
  • A retail-only wiki
  • Gallery rating system (each user can give a build x/5 bricks, average is shown in the topic title)
The ONLY things in that list that we don't have planned already is the Digg-style hiding and the avatar thing. I don't know what we're going to do about avatars, but we have talked about that stuff. So that's a good sign we're heading in the right direction already. Our wiki is going to be retail only when RTB comes out for it, and the gallery will be getting a huge overhaul in the future.

I find it kind of dull, but the access and way the forums work are ok.

tldr :D
Well, this is your thread. I would think you'd be interested in this seeing as how it's a directly related to the topic you brought up. :/

Rtb forums is dull and uninteresting.