Author Topic: The Computer Megathread  (Read 419623 times)

nostalgia fees
why does ddr2 cost 3 times as much as ddr3. even back when they were both in full production.

now I just have to hope noone does that again but with an underline and causes a chain ban.

but anyway, I'd love to just be able to spawn like $2000 and build a nice new computer from scratch.
I had plans of upgrading my computer before college but then I wound up getting a laptop instead.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-pavilion-notebooks/640466-dv6z-61xx-unlock-fixed-dynamic-switchable-graphics.html

So here's my current situation:
I'm using amd's dual graphics software, and it doesn't support opengl applications (like Blockland, Minecraft, Killing Floor).

However, in some HP computers there is an option to turn this off in the bios. In mine, there isn't anything. The above link is a modified bios that includes an option to change it to only using one gpu. I'd really really like it if I could get this fixed because a good amount of games that I own are opengl. Would any of you recommend using it?

Just put in my CPU, AMD Phenom II x4 Deneb 965.

Booted up the computer, and get the error "ERROR: Unsupported CPU"
Then it turns off.

Both my current and this are the same socket(AM3) and I know my PSU can handle this CPU, what the forget is going on, I used the stock heatsink and such.
Called Newegg and expect a call back ~24 minutes from now.

Any help from you guys?

Then it turns off.

Both my current and this are the same socket(AM3) and I know my PSU can handle this CPU, what the forget is going on, I used the stock heatsink and such.

Any help from you guys?
Did you consult the motherboard manufacturer or their website for a CPU support list before purchasing the CPU? It's commonplace to do so, and I was assuming you did.

Then it turns off.

Any help from you guys?
Get Intel :)

Did you consult the motherboard manufacturer or their website for a CPU support list before purchasing the CPU? It's commonplace to do so, and I was assuming you did.

This

It says it supports the 9xx series and I have the 965.

This

It says it supports the 9xx series and I have the 965.
The motherboard supports up to a 95W processor. Your processor is a 125W processor. You're replacing something in an HP prebuilt, expect to be low-balled.
You're going to have to make a return to newegg.

The motherboard supports up to a 95W processor. Your processor is a 125W processor.
Fuuuck stuff, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

I hate me.

The motherboard supports up to a 95W processor. Your processor is a 125W processor. You're replacing something in an HP prebuilt, expect to be low-balled.
or buy a new motherboard

Fuuuck stuff, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

I hate me.
Common mistake when replacing a processor, HP doesn't give any in-depth documentation.
or buy a new motherboard
You'd need to reinstall windows and stuff after you replace it, and you'll need to activate by phone.

or buy a new motherboard

Common mistake when replacing a processor, HP doesn't give any in-depth documentation.

Would it be possible to change my motherboard?
Any suggestions on a new one?

Would it be possible to change my motherboard?
You'd need to reinstall windows and stuff after you replace it, and you'll need to activate by phone.
But yeah it's possible, just make sure you get a microATX board.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157215
Minor mistake, put the wrong link as I was looking at other boards