Author Topic: 2012/02/05 - Shadows and Shaders vs. Interiors and Terrain [Fan Art Too]  (Read 428665 times)

No, it would drop to the lowest point in the connected structure.
I suppose you could make a list of all connected bricks first... silly me!

New Shaders include Normal maps? In fact what Shaders are there.

We have included a select set of choice shaders for discerning blocklanders. -- kompressor
I like it.

In the first Q/A where you talk about height maps, are you talking about a system similar to minecraft that generates brick terrain?

This could be done. -- kompressor

Good to know. I think it's worth looking in to. I think that some sort of randomly generated terrain could add a whole new angle to the game.

To him who does this, great honor and glory. -- kompressor
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 11:58:24 PM by kompressor »

So what will maps be without interiors and terrains, or are maps just not an option any more? I thought even slate had an invisible interior for its floor.

More technical question and not entirely sure if its been answered, with the removal Terrains .ter and interiors .dif what will the new Slate be made of? A static mesh using collision boxes or a new separate collision detection for bricks? When and if are you going to disclose this information? On top of that would you be able to create levels using a DTS mesh and use a different system for Collision.

More to the point I just wanted to know if there is an fiddly alternative to Interiors on the new Blockland.

The fiddly alternative is bricks. We will probably do a custom groundplane object for the world ground on maps that have that. -- kompressor
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:04:50 AM by kompressor »

not to be obnoxious but
Will light going through a window (of course assuming it does at all at this point) be affected by the opacity/color of the brick? If not, would that be feasible?

No. -- kompressor
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:05:03 AM by kompressor »

Not sure if this has been addressed already, I don't really have time to read through 44 pages.

Will fixes be made to address the issue of vehicles passing through bricks at high speeds? If terrains and interiors are removed, I'm wondering how racetracks and such will be made.

Are bricks translucent (as it appears in the first image) or is that just a by-product of the DOF? Could we see some more pictures please?

Not sure if this has been addressed already, I don't really have time to read through 44 pages.

Will fixes be made to address the issue of vehicles passing through bricks at high speeds? If terrains and interiors are removed, I'm wondering how racetracks and such will be made.
Yes.

Don't make promises on my behalf. Removing this stuff will make it a lot easier to improve physics. -- kompressor
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:10:39 AM by kompressor »

-
Ok on top of that, does this mean (again not sure if answered) static shapes are out, ie custom DTS models? If not would that just mean I'd have to build the interior of said static shape for a level to stop players going through and building on top of that. I'm just going to say yes to myself.

My main problem with this is zones/portals that interiors created, not having to render all of the bricks on screen if you weren't looking into a room. I suppose the ends justify the means and the new performance of Blockland would out weigh some really old BSP system.

I recommend you pursue building stuff out of bricks, not custom DTSes -- kompressor
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:15:52 AM by kompressor »

By my estimate, this will most likely release on the 5th anniversery. I'm REALLY excited for this.

I recommend you pursue building stuff out of bricks, not custom DTSes -- kompressor
Fair enough, finally looking forward to no shadow ambient lighting on back's of models, hard surface shading just got a whole lot cooler.

Since terrain maps will be gone, do you think you guys can fix some of the physics? and make it so vehicles do not crash through bricks and get stuck in them when they go at higher speeds?

That annoys me

Removing interiors and terrains makes it a lot easier to make vehicle physics good. We are not promising a fix at the same time shadows go on. -- kompressor
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:20:28 AM by kompressor »

Will bricks be self-shadowing?  As in, will the trunk of the tree be shaded by the cone?

Yes. -- kompressor
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:28:06 AM by kompressor »