Author Topic: 2012/02/05 - Shadows and Shaders vs. Interiors and Terrain [Fan Art Too]  (Read 428636 times)

I personally am anxious over this.

I feel like I'm stuck between wanting to just keep the old version, but also have the new version.

My biggest fear is that losing maps with terrain will at times limit my personal gameplay.
For example, a number of builds and roleplays and games and the sort that I have done, have been based on terrain maps.
Whether that's a tropical desert island or a hilly map with a couple of lakes, I've used them to give me a great atmosphere for my build.
I can see myself being able to recreate them to an extent with bricks, sure, but do I really want 20k+ bricks used on just the terrain of my build and then trying to build on top of that?
I understand that it'll be quite nice to see this sort of thing, and if I were to make proper terrains with this, then shadows from hills and mountains and valleys would be absolutely beautiful and stunning, but I'll still feel slightly limited.

While I want Blockland to progress, and I know that it's been waiting for an addition like this for some time, I just can't help but worry that in the process it'll be removing a large portion of the game which I've used to large extent and have previously heavily relied upon.
There's a point where you can't create much more atmosphere with just bricks and a skybox.

But until I reach that point, I'll continue to enjoy the new beauty within the game and put what I can to good use.
I'll miss some of those old saves and games I used to play on hilly-terrains, but I've done plenty enough on slate maps. I've probably done more on slate maps than terrain maps, but it doesn't quite overcome the feeling of loss for those fewer, but great times on terrain maps.

I am curious though as to the Tutorial and the Demo system.
I'm sure that something will be done about the tutorial, and I'm certian it's not too difficult for a brick-based tutorial map+save to be created to replace the current one, but I have a little bit of concern over the game in Demo version.

Personally, for me, when I had the Demo version, I wasn't really excited by Slate.
I mean, it's a blank-canvas and I have a teensy pot of paint.
The reason I enjoyed the Bedroom and Kitchen maps when I joined was probably just because it gave me a little bit something else to see and enjoy in the Demo.
Sure, I may have only built a tiny little base with some lights, but building as I did, a base sticking off of the side of the pictureframe in the kitchen or on top of the kitchen light gave me more entertainment on the Demo than I would expect I could've had in just a slate map.

I don't personally know if I would have enjoyed the empty slate with my few bricks well enough to entice me to buy the full game.

Anyway, that's all my real concern. I'll look forward to whatever is put forward and done, but I can't help but feel a little bit sad to see the old stuff go. But hopefully this leads on to a new era of Blockland. More interesting updates with newer features, more creativity upon slate maps and more work into texturing of slate-maps for new atmospheres.

Sorry if I asked a question that's already been asked or answered. I didn't read all of this. I hope you'll forgive me for not reading all 57 pages.

Hopefully when the update comes out, precipitation will also be fixed so that rain can't go through our brick houses, since precipitation doesn't go through interiors.

Good idea.
No, really, I love you. I haven't been so excited over an update to this game in years. You're the best.

Blockland is not a democracy and neither Badspot nor I were elected. Sorry.
Figures why my posts against the update were just removed, even though they have valid points.
Which one looks better?
Beta City on a Interior map:

Beta City on a generic slate edit:

It looks bland on the slate edit.

So, just wondering, exactly what ARE the "little touches" you speak of?

Figures why my posts against the update were just removed, even though they have valid points.

I said in the OP I will aggressively moderate this thread.

However, you did follow the OP's suggestion, by posting screenshots. So good on you.

But the shadow update makes that second screenshot look 100x better. :)

So, just wondering, exactly what ARE the "little touches" you speak of?

Guys crouch, have particle effects, are affected by world geometry around them, have good stepping/jetting behavior, have neat little animations, scream when they fall, can be painted + exploded... Tons of stuff. Play the game and see!

I said in the OP I will aggressively moderate this thread.

However, you did follow the OP's suggestion, by posting screenshots. So good on you.

But the shadow update makes that second screenshot look 100x better. :)

Guys crouch, have particle effects, are affected by world geometry around them, have good stepping/jetting behavior, have neat little animations, scream when they fall, can be painted + exploded... Tons of stuff. Play the game and see!
So, this is still going to kill off the mapping community, isn't it?

So, this is still going to kill off the mapping community, isn't it?
The mapping community can now refocus their creative talents into building, as is the motif of this game.

Removing maps is the best way to make people better in building, it will "force" them to build.

Removing maps is the best way to make people better in building, it will "force" them to build.

That's not the primary goal but it's probably true.

The mapping community can now refocus their creative talents into building, as is the motif of this game.

Couldn't have said it better myself. If "mapping" means "making interiors and terrains" yes there won't be much to do for mappers. Sorry.

Aphtonites, you seem pretty annoyed by all this. Maybe you should go for a walk and clear your head.

I find it cool to save ppl saves and explore it alone.

But saving it and claiming it's his is seriously bad.

the creative people will still be creative. those with resting creativity might step up because they were influenced by the new shadows and shaders, but the majority of server players will still be just that, server players. instead of flocking to terrain TDMs or bedroom fort wars, they will flood to the arena crap and city rpgs instead (or just leave, majority of blockland isn't aware of this update anyway).

Freebuilds will still be at the bottom of the barrel as it's always been. This isn't a reason to keep terrain or interiors, but it is the truth of what will occur. There WILL be a majority of afghan-like TDMs with "realistic" weapons dominating the list along with the City RPGs right under them. TDMs will replace TDMs. City RPGs will remain or even grow. Freebuilds will always be at the bottom.

All of my quoted posts got deleted. :panda:

You know we love you. --kompressor

PS - Deletion is how I love you. -- kompressor
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:58:49 PM by kompressor »

That's not the primary goal but it's probably true.

Couldn't have said it better myself. If "mapping" means "making interiors and terrains" yes there won't be much to do for mappers. Sorry.

Aphtonites, you seem pretty annoyed by all this. Maybe you should go for a walk and clear your head.
Will Badspot add a feature for day and night cycle in Blockland? That would be awesome when the brick shadows move very slowly with the sun light.

I think this would be cool. -- kompressor
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:59:22 PM by kompressor »

I find it cool to save ppl saves and explore it alone.

But saving it and claiming it's his is seriously bad.
This.
When I see a cool build I go "Wooaaaah!" and want to explore every niche of it. When I see a "cool" map I go "meh" and don't care much.

This would never be your reaction to if your save got stolen especially if someone else was getting all the credit, and people were bashing you for "stealing" the thief's work.

I've had my own save stolen and hosted by someone else without credit.
I honestly didn't mind at all.
Because I know that from the way I build, they've got an unfinished project.
People can claim I stole it. But I'll only host it on my own server. If they come on and claim it's stolen, I'll say otherwise.
If they persist in badgering me over it being "stolen", I'll ban them. Simple as.

But we're currently not focussing on the subject matter at hand, which is likely why Kompressor just deleted a section of posts.

So I say bring on the update.
I'll pity the "mapping community" for a minute, then carry on with my pretty builds.