Author Topic: 2012/02/05 - Shadows and Shaders vs. Interiors and Terrain [Fan Art Too]  (Read 425223 times)

Or just build it and post a save and some pictures of it.
Not optimized for lighting effects.

The new lighting system will allow for some neat horror-type maps but the white outline problem with bricks and players need to be fixed. Any possibility of that happening?

Will more bricks be added by default to allow for more maps? Considering maps will now be brick-based, I suspect people will use fancy brick packs a lot and end up sending out broken maps...

Wait, how would this effect saving bricks? Loading bricks? Ephialtes plans for RTB to host saves?

I imagine this has already been asked, but can't you leave it as switching it on and off? I'm sure people would prefer that, so if you wanted to build something with shadows, you could, and later do something in the bedroom. It would be more tolerable, I hate to see those maps go.
If you don't read the most recent pages, not only do you miss out on the arguments against the removal you also miss out on the arguments that are with the removal. Quick summary: Interiors and terrains don't fit in Blockland, just like a realistic 1000 polygon weapon doesn't.

Will you be able to have a larger brickcount with less lag, or will it be the same?

Since we are going to be building maps too.

If you don't read the most recent pages, not only do you miss out on the arguments against the removal you also miss out on the arguments that are with the removal. Quick summary: Interiors and terrains don't fit in Blockland, just like a realistic 1000 polygon weapon doesn't.
fits in or not, they did things bricks never could and still can't.

Will you be able to have a larger brickcount with less lag, or will it be the same?

Since we are going to be building maps too.
Now that they're bringing it down to only bricks and basic shapes, I imagine it being easy to optimise the brick rendering system further.

All the nice interior maps people have put effort into over the years will be lost?! That sucks. If you could do what Dimirty said I would like this, but maps like GTT Viano, Southhampton, downtown, all the maps people have spent so much time on will be lost to even the people who still want them. Can't there be some sorta switch for the graphics?

Check the RTB stats, very few people make maps. And the tools + process for making maps is bad, so it's very hard to make good ones. It's better to focus efforts on beautiful bricks and great builds. Having support for interiors at all is a huge pain, so we won't do it. -- kompressor
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 10:27:20 PM by kompressor »

I have no problem with the removal of interiors and terrains, because it starts bringing back more focus to what really helps make Blockland what it is about; building with bricks. Too many people have become too dependent on the map itself. And on another point, improved vehicle to brick collisions is great news to someone who has made so many vehicles as myself.

Now I read about possible BLB tools? Has there been any work done on these? I've heard rumors of Badspot having his own personal tool for making bricks. Will it be a basic stand-alone program? An exporter plugin? Or, most likely, a simple 3D shape file converter?

I am dying to start making all the bricks we don't have.

I have no problem with the removal of interiors and terrains, because it starts bringing back more focus to what really helps make Blockland what it is about; building with bricks. Too many people have become too dependent on the map itself. And on another point, improved vehicle to brick collisions is great news to someone who has made so many vehicles as myself.

Now I read about possible BLB tools? Has there been any work done on these? I've heard rumors of Badspot having his own personal tool for making bricks. Will it be a basic stand-alone program? An exporter plugin? Or, most likely, a simple 3D shape file converter?

I am dying to start making all the bricks we don't have.
If you export .ply files, my 3dtoblb tool works fine. Exporters would probably be better though.

I build with bricks, but I still sometimes use interiors for things, I don't know if I'll still like blockland as much but Phy has a point about building.

If you export .ply files, my 3dtoblb tool works fine. Exporters would probably be better though.
That's how I made the wire fence, and my private crystal and door brick. But it would be nice to have something that does UV Coordinates, because having to go through by hand is a real pain in the wrist.

Hey Kompressor, instead of enabling it by default, why not do some sort of GFX test when new hardware is detected and automatically enable/disable it based on that?

Some guy was posting in help with a 15 year old GFX card with about 1/100th the rendering power of my laptop's NVIDIA 560M. There has to be a way to tell if someone's using a GFX card that stuffty.

It will be off by default in the first release so no one is screwed. -- kompressor
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 10:39:16 PM by kompressor »

All of a sudden, I warmed up to the idea.

Will the lighting functions be able to be called in a script?

No, but there will be some ability to control lighting conditions. -- kompressor
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 10:40:08 PM by kompressor »

I'm actually warming up to this. Although it does completely ruin the huge LotR map I was working on.