Author Topic: [Resource/Beta 0.4] Custom Player Animations  (Read 55636 times)

Could you make a Milkshape version of it?

it barely works for blender. milkshape shouldn't be a priority yet

It was probably a bad idea to post this right after winter break ended for me, because it slammed progress to a stand-still, but I plan on picking it up again soon, as well as making a real tutorial.

I would also like to thank everyone for their patience with this highly controversial-hackish way, as it is the only way that seems to exist without having the real player source files.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 06:15:45 PM by EpicFrySauce »

I give up on this custom weapon animation.

I bought Ultimate Unwrap 3d, as I said before everything imported fine.

Here's the problem: getting the animations/bones/blahblah into blender.

It seems that pretty much all of the export file-extension things don't even support animations. It usually only supports meshes and the materials. Any other export with animation support is halfassed and  they crashed the program.

Does anyone know an export file that supports loading animations/bones into blender? (Fry? help me...)

EDIT: m5d works, but importing it into blender puts bones into wrong positions.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 05:16:59 PM by computermix »

I give up on this custom weapon animation.
(Fry? help me...)

Hi computermix,

To my understanding, you're trying to make custom weapon animations for pre-existing weapons, correct? Your problem may just be that you are trying to reverse engineer the .dts along with its respective animation files. As I said in my initial post, I spent months experimenting with this idea, and I never came to any 100% solid solutions. I think it's time I created a tutorial on exactly what I have figured out, so others can take my work and solidify things a bit more. Unfortunately, I'm not really sure how to help you besides that. I do not believe there is any univeral file format that will support everything, but I've been using the Half-Life 2 .smd format for some time now, and it's been fine for my purposes.

Good luck!
-EpicFrySauce
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 02:11:06 AM by EpicFrySauce »

If you've got the Blender version, you've got the Milkshape version. Both programs support a variety of formats, it's simply finding a compatible format.

Did you just release a crack for a commercial program?

Edit: Holy stuff yes you did. I suggest you take that link down now. It appears the thread has been open for 5 hours so I'd say he'll be banned any minute now.
look below you!

look below you!
Yes. Below, not above. As in a post that was posted after mine. I'm not a psychic.

look below you!

Wrong. Badspot had posted after Demian. Stay on topic.

Hi computerix,

To my understanding, you're trying to make custom weapon animations for pre-existing weapons, correct? Your problem may just be that you are trying to reverse engineer the .dts along with its respective animation files. As I said in my initial post, I spent months experimenting with this idea, and I never came to any 100% solid solutions. I think it's time I created a tutorial on exactly what I have figured out, so others can take my work and solidify things a bit more. Unfortunately, I'm not really sure how to help you besides that. I do not believe there is any univeral file format that will support everything, but I've been using the Half-Life 2 .smd format for some time now, and it's been fine for my purposes.

Good luck!
-EpicFrySauce

stuff man, that worked! Bones, armatures, everything!

Few problems though:
- model is "smoothshaded" once imported into blender (and when its in blockland)
- model is sometimes scaled and/or rotated improperly
- model view of first and third person is rendered differently (third person, rotated odly, first, all good)

stuff man, that worked! Bones, armatures, everything!

Few problems though:
- model is "smoothshaded" once imported into blender (and when its in blockland)
- model is sometimes scaled and/or rotated improperly
- model view of first and third person is rendered differently (third person, rotated odly, first, all good)

Good, I'm glad it worked! Just set the model to "flatshaded" and all should we well. As for the problems, they are unfortunate, yet predictable. I welcome you to the 4 month headache that gave me. The solution to fix it without starting a new bone system is not simple in the least bit, just download my source file to see what I mean if you haven't already. I recommend you take the model, and just re-create the bones yourself, which would almost guarantee breaking any pre-existing animations the weapon has on it, but would be the easy way out to free it up for animating. Good luck!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 12:32:09 AM by EpicFrySauce »

Good, I'm glad it worked! Just set the model to "flatshaded" and all should we well. As for the problems, they are unfortunate, yet predictable. I welcome you to the 4 month headache that gave me. The solution to fix it without starting a new bone system is not simple in the least bit, just download my source file to see what I mean if you haven't already. I recommend you take the model, and just re-create the bones yourself, which would almost guarantee breaking any pre-existing animations the weapon has on it, but would be the easy way out to free it up for animating. Good luck!
Can't you just import it all, make a new animation, export it as a dsq, import that dsq into shaper with the original model and export it again as dts?

Can't you just import it all, make a new animation, export it as a dsq, import that dsq into shaper with the original model and export it again as dts?

Nope, that's the downfall of it all. Or else we probably would have seen more custom weapon and player animations years ago...

Edit: Oh but however, you can do that exclusively in Shaper and I believe it works, but no one wants to use that crap, obviously. So, I found a way to get it to work in Blender and Milkshape.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 07:07:19 PM by EpicFrySauce »

Nope, that's the downfall of it all. Or else we probably would have seen more custom weapon and player animations years ago...

Edit: Oh but however, you can do that exclusively in Shaper and I believe it works, but no one wants to use that crap, obviously. So, I found a way to get it to work in Blender and Milkshape.

accually, another idea:

Import the .smd model and animation and such, delete all the meshes, import the model as a .obj or something, parent the animated bones to that, and then voila?

And if you want to know how the faces are missing, research how IFL frames are handled in blockland (decals and faces).

http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=145968.msg3391844#msg3391844

Chrono's add-on may not send the image to the player (idk how it works really), the add-on doesn't know what the hell its talking about when you come to IFls, or whatever. I have no idea how they are applied the the model.