Author Topic: ■ The Photography Megathread ■  (Read 244468 times)

Good morning. Autumn is comming!

It's actually foggier but it doesn't look like it is in the photo.

-mother of snip-
I have a few more, but I took these with the D7100 that my dad and I share. The first and third one were taken in Yosemite, and the second was taken in Kauai.
holy doobi
those are gorgeous

holy doobi
those are gorgeous

Thanks. Really appreciate it. I have some more if you're interested.

Here's some things! Camera: Good ol' fashioned Nikon D50 with a standard zoom lens.

(Might have posted this'n before, not sure.)

[im g width=1000]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-a5fX6rytj_o/VIHv6NSCF-I/AAAAAAAAA90/AwKTQnGsbo8/w1278-h659-no/Dad-Car-2.jpg[/img]
This one is awesome.

how much does an average camera with DOF settings cost?
i'd really want an HD-ish one. or atleast good quality.

What do you mean "DOF settings?" I know of no camera with DOF settings...

Depth of field is controlled by the aperture diaphragm in a lens, your focal length, and your distance from the subject. The larger the aperture opening (smaller f/ number) the less DOF you'll have and the blurrier your out of focus area will me. This effect is increased by having a longer focal length (a lens with more zoom), or being closer to your subject.

These were taken with my Nikon D600 and my Nikkor 85mm at f/1.8 a few months ago. The combination of this (relatively) long focal length, large aperture, and closeness to my subjects gives me a very small depth of field.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 01:09:36 PM by Bones4 »

does anyone have/use the sigma 18-35mm f/1.8?

looks like a fantastic lens

Comments? Tips?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 08:26:26 PM by Courage »

Comments? Tips?
Pretty neat lighting effects through the plant, but the overall lighting of the scene could be better. Also, make sure that you pay attention to the background and what frames the edges of your shots. And generally, try to keep the shot level; I'm noticing that the fence appears to be slightly tilted. This can be fixed (to a degree) in post, however.

Pretty neat lighting effects through the plant, but the overall lighting of the scene could be better. Also, make sure that you pay attention to the background and what frames the edges of your shots. And generally, try to keep the shot level; I'm noticing that the fence appears to be slightly tilted. This can be fixed (to a degree) in post, however.

Wow, thanks! Believe it or not, it is kind of the first time for me to take a picture with a background on my camera, I'm kind of a novice right now ... So thanks for the tips, I'll keep those in mind.

I tried to illuminate the photo as a whole, overall, not much I could have done... how's this?

« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 12:55:17 AM by Courage »

As you said; in this case, not much you could have done (without some extra equipment, at least). In cases such as these, there are several options:

1) Work the shot a bit more. Take several shots from several angles, positions, zooms, focus points - see if looking at it in another way will improve it at all.

2) See how much you can fix in post. Not ideal, but editing isn't by any means bad. Just, as a general rule, try to set up your shot as you want it beforehand.

3) Work with your camera's settings to try to get your desired shot a bit more easily.

4) Do some macro photography of it if doesn't work as a larger subject! For example, I bet a closeup of a couple of those leaves together would look pretty sweet.

5) Move on to another shot. Sometimes, it's best to not wear yourself out shooting something that shouldn't be shot. If it just doesn't work, whether it be due to lighting, the background, or whatever, sometimes you can't make it work. Of course, don't give up too easily, but know your limits. And just move on! There's plenty of stuff to take photos of. :)

Hope this helps some!

A photo I took a few days ago #newbie_at_photography, haha... no joke. It's my first photo that doesn't necessarily revolve around a flower, and I'm kind of happy how it turned out tbh.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 11:39:32 PM by Courage »