Author Topic: ArmA 2 - Fairly Realistic Combat Simulator  (Read 35710 times)

In 2009 the fictional post-soviet country of Chernarus is ravaged by civil war. For two crippling years, conflict has raged...

Players explore this volatile world with Force Recon Razor Team, part of a US Marine Corps Expeditionary Unit. The 27th MEU are deployed to Northern Chernarus on a peacekeeping mission with a mandate to prevent further civilian casualties and promote political stability.

ARMA 2 is based on the latest generation technology. It offers a uniquely vast game world, authentic and extremely detailed modern units, weapons, vehicles and environments. The branching, player-driven campaign can be played solo, or cooperatively and is accompanied by a huge range of single and multiplayer game modes.

Basic Features

Lifelike combat simulation including bullet ballistic & deflection, material entry and more. Unique and comprehensive AI combat system for large-scale battles.

Story driven single player full of twists and surprises including branched plot with multiple endings.

Resource management, RPG and RTS elements, dynamic conversations and many more to surpass the standard set by usual FPS.

Equipment

Comprehensive armory including over 300 weapons, units and fully usable armed or unarmed vehicles of all air, land and water classes.

Multiplayer with large scale maps for 50+ live players and hundreds of AI units.

Quick mission templates, built-in easy to use SP/MP mission editor, advanced scripting. Freeware SDK kit for MODding and modelling.

Weaponry

Arma 2 features a variety of personal weapons, grenades, artillery pieces & tripod- or vehicle-mounted weapon platforms. All weapons and their features were created according to the specifications of their real-life counterparts.
  • Features
  • Accurate models including graphics, sounds and animations.
  • Variants with different scopes and accessories, including collimator sights, optical sights, grenade launchers or silencers.
  • Optics have realistic zoom and field-of-view settings and reticles.
  • Animated parts for shooting and reloading (triggers, receivers, ammo belts) and eject brass.
  • Customized character animations for holding weapons based on inverse kinematics.
  • Simulation of bullet ballistics, including material entry and bullet deflection.
  • Ammunition power and magazine compatibility according to the real life.
  • Impact effects and sounds for various materials in the environment.
  • Tracer rounds are used in a realistic way.

Vehicles

Vehicles in Arma 2 come in unsurpassed numbers and variety: civilian cars and boats, military cars and trucks, wheeled and tracked armored personnel carriers, tanks or aircraft; all of them created with strict attention to detail. Every vehicle in the game can be controlled by both players and AI alike and provides features authentic to each vehicle.

• Features
  • A unique simulation of various types of vehicles.
  • Various in-vehicle roles: commander, driver, gunner, assistant gunner.
  • Accurate weaponry, including optics, tracer rounds and effects.
  • Speed differs according to type of surface.
  • Vehicles differ in many aspects according to their real-life specifications (e.g. speed, sturdiness, fuel capacity).
  • Dust effects when driving over certain surfaces, rotor downwash effects for helicopters and VTOL aircraft.
  • Destructible wheels and limited partial destruction.
  • Destroyed vehicles turn into wrecks, explode appropriately according to the amount of fuel and ammunition they contain.
  • Burning and secondary explosions of wrecks.
  • Some vehicles feature simple defensive countermeasures.
  • Virtual Heads-Up Display in several aircraft.

Factions

USMC

USMC deployment in Chernarus consists of 27th Marine Expeditionary Unit (Special Operations Capable), which is supposed to overturn the balance in the civil war in the favor of Chernarussian government. Marines are skilled in assymetrical warfare and are backed up by superior weapons and technology.

CDF

Chernarussian military has been trained by Western armies in past years, but it retains weapons and equipment of the Soviet Army, its direct predecessor. Its main task during the past years for was to fight challenging counter-insurgecy campaign in the mountaineous regions of Northern Chernarus.

Russia

Russian contingent of Chernarussian Peacekeeping Forces consists of elite Guard Motor Rifle battalion, reinforced by armor, artillery and attack helicopter detachments. Based on their previous experience with counter-guerilla operations, Russians also make good use of special forces.

ChDKZ

Although the communist insurgency has its roots as an underground movement, it is now a conventional force with military structure and weapon platforms captured from the Chernarussian government or provided by arms dealers. This has given ChDKZ enough power to start a coup against the government.

Pictures

There's also expansion packs and mods but I'm lazy and Don't feel like adding them in

« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 03:41:50 PM by Pepsidude »

I'll be honest, I suck at this game. :c

I do too. That's why I spend most of my time in Tanks because usually I can take more hits.

Also this scenario is pretty fun, its randomly generated.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=9581

Feep, Fredulus, and I are playing CO Armex if anyone wants to come lol.

Is Operation Arrowhead worth 20 bucks?

yes it is

i've been playing arma 2 for 3+ years now and i still prefer OA

I got the Operation Arrowhead demo and it's pretty fun to use the mission editor and spawn hundreds of enemy.

Oh god I was playing Flashpoint and the Machinegunner got shot and was crawling to me to get into cover and right before he made it he got sniped.

RIP Number 4

I am downloading the free version of ArmA 2 right now. Maybe I'll host a server tonight.

Me: 5 Engage that, tank, by the icecream truck, to our, front.
AI: Roger. *runs out in the open with an AT4 and pauses*
Tank: *Guns down 5*
Other AI: stuff, 5, is down.

I had ARMA II on my other Steam account. I was going to buy OA the day my Steam account was suspended.

the AI tank gunners are so damn overpowered it's not even funny...

the AI tank gunners are so damn overpowered it's not even funny...
Hmmm could it be they have FLIR(thermal vision)? No, not possible!

ditto.
Thinking about buying expansions, or just buying arma 3 when it comes out.

The AI in this game is pretty wonky sometimes.

The jeep driver kept ramming the wrecked vehicle and when I swapped seats and turned around the motherforgeter turned around and kept ramming it.

And somehow 50+ Aircraft can avoid eachother and not get shot down by AA guns, what the hell?