Author Topic: playR.org - Play old school games, for free!  (Read 19920 times)

Seems a tad bit shady to me. The domain registrar uses Privacypost as email and I assume the service provider lives up to it's name, the phone number and P.O. box are fake, and the registrar name is just a randomly generated string of letters + that is all the info provided.

http://www.pir.org/get/whois

https://www.mochimedia.com/community/forum/topic/any-insight-on-playr_org

i believe we have WM to thank for that. stuff was started and no conclusion was reached.
i'd like to hear from a third party, since we already know that the two sides that are arguing are both biased.

I never use online emulators, I always think the best are the ones you download, also I have an arsenal of snes games, some broken, but as long as you have the cartridge you can emulate them.

It's not too hard to see that you downloaded it from a site. How do people know you downloaded the music in those piracy cases?

If you own the disk or have the digital recite, its essentially the same as backing up the disk or downloading it to your computer. You have the right to back up your property, so they'd have a tough time arguing you pirated the game when you own the actual disk/cart

Also don't think I'm defending piracy here, because I'm not. I think people who pirate are self entitled man-children.

If you own the disk or have the digital recite, its essentially the same as backing up the disk or downloading it to your computer. You have the right to back up your property, so they'd have a tough time arguing you pirated the game when you own the actual disk/cart

Also don't think I'm defending piracy here, because I'm not. I think people who pirate are self entitled man-children.
No, its like buying a game and losing it and then going to the store and stealing a copy. "But I bought it at one time!" Doesn't work that way.

Seems a tad bit shady to me. The domain registrar uses Privacypost as email and I assume the service provider lives up to it's name, the phone number and P.O. box are fake, and the registrar name is just a randomly generated string of letters + that is all the info provided.

http://www.pir.org/get/whois

Lol, it's whois protection, generates everything in the whois as fake. Some even give whois information of the company itself.

I own an iPhone.  Does that give me the right to a free iPhone for backup purposes?  What about illegally downloading iOS?

This is absolutely illegal. It's basically hosting ROMs online.

This is absolutely illegal. It's basically hosting ROMs online.
Well, it could be.  I remember reading on the vNES site (So take it with a grain of salt) that it uses a loophole in the law that says the games would be rented, as they had physical copies of the games and the data wasn't permanently stored on your computer.  If laws around renting haven't changed (and deals with streaming rights suggest that they have) it would be in a legal grey area.

legal gray area and the fact that nintendo doesn't give a stuff is probably the reason this site has been up since '09.

No, its like buying a game and losing it and then going to the store and stealing a copy. "But I bought it at one time!" Doesn't work that way.
The difference being when you pirate it, the original is intact and you have a copy.  It's more like buying a game, loosing it, then magically getting it back on your computer.

omfg. guys. play Balloon Man.
http://www.playr.org/play/balloon_man/1754#play
it's the funnest stuff ever. i think i got to like level 18 or 19. i didnt miss a SINGLE loving BALLOON. then i lost it at 19 or 20. i dont know what level it was. i dont know if the game is pretty easy, i got very lucky, or i'm just that kickass. try to beat my score of 200 on level 19 or 20

I didn't say anything about losing it. It's a loving law that you are able to digitally back up any media that comes on a disk. That is why ripping music from a CD is allowed.

The brown townogy you are using is completely wrong. It's a LAW so it's more like you go buy a game at a store and they have a policy where if you lose it at any point ever you can bring in the receipt and they give you a new one. 

I didn't say anything about losing it. It's a loving law that you are able to digitally back up any media that comes on a disk. That is why ripping music from a CD is allowed.

The brown townogy you are using is completely wrong. It's a LAW so it's more like you go buy a game at a store and they have a policy where if you lose it at any point ever you can bring in the receipt and they give you a new one. 
you are allowed to back up your toaster with a digital toaster, so incase you lose your toaster you can still make digital toast.