Poll

Do you think Mr. Hartman should put his game on Steam Greenlight for us to vote on?

Yes!
No. (Specify)
I'm not sure...

Author Topic: ▓ [BLOCKLAND ON STEAM] Let's get Blockland elected for Steam Greenlight! ▓  (Read 19136 times)

nope.

"A special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to one person or group of people."

try harder

A few games don't let regular players host. Therefore, it is a privilege.

Try harder.

i never said we should get privileges

stop putting words in my mouth

im saying that being able to create a server is a privilege

Alright than, let people make servers even if they don't have the "privileges" or "deserve it." The good players will know enough not to attempt to start a server so soon, and sort through them all and find the good ones. The good ones will be popular.

Let me tell you guys a story.

I bought this game was back when it was in version 8. Back then, my BLID (1897) was considered really high, and therefore I was a Bad Player. Due to this (as well as the community in general being stuff), I stopped playing Blockland.

I eventually came back way later, when a friend of mine showed me some of the cool things now possible in Blockland, like events and such.

I quickly discovered that people with BLIDs in the 10k region were considered the new gold standard of "Good Players", and that my BLID instantly meant that I was some sort of Blockland sage with years of experience under my belt. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that some of the best builders and members of the community were people with BLIDs that, back when I joined, would've been laughed at.

My point is that treating Blockland like your secret clubhouse is incredibly bullstuff, and trying to give pre-steam users some sort of extra privilege is really loving dumb.

Then again this community is so loving horrible I'm not surprised to see these suggestions

-snip-
Truest story ever.

Who cares if we suddenly get a large wave of noobs? Most of them will learn the basics within a month or two. Some of them may even be the greatest builders we've ever see, or the best content creators!

nope.

"A special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to one person or group of people."

try harder

the group of people being all of us

a while ago you had to go through a butt-load of painful port-forwarding just to get your server up, now the privilege is handed to you on a golden platter

please don't hit me

This would be an amazing idea. Or it would probably bring a massive overflow of trolls and they would probably easily break the master server.

It wouldnt really crash the master server, but it could slow down or the server list sould take forever to load. We would be forced to use the server list on blockland.us (which isnt that bad).

This can be fixed simply by adding the image of a server that comes Up on blockland.us but in game
and in the info bar.

Anyways, do you guys realized code will probably have to be re-written? If BLIDs would no loger work with keys, meaning that it registers with the Steam account Badspot would have to edit how the master server checks to see if each player is registered when connecting as well when joining other games like names displaying and things like that.

Once Blockland hits Steam and is sucessful, wave your game goodbye. Blockland on Steam would be the dumbest loving thing Badspot could ever loving do. I think the community is already too big, it was perfectly fine in v12 when I joined, there weren't many dumbforgets out there and fun and good servers were plenty, at least in my opinion.

And about the "Hosting-Privilege",

"WE HAS TO KEEP DAT REIC... COMMUNITY GUUUUUT.", aka biggest bullstuff ever.

Edit: Why not give Steam players little yellow stars with the words "Jude" on it and non-Steam players IDs like "BLSS-idhere"? Also, autoban feature, only non-Steam-players allowed to join, you have to have an ID lower than 30k to join?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 09:48:56 AM by Snick0rz »

It wouldnt really crash the master server, but it could slow down or the server list sould take forever to load. We would be forced to use the server list on blockland.us (which isnt that bad).
He could always buy a new master server or several with the money. If he has enough people to crash the master server, he should have loads of money for upgrades.

Once Blockland hits Steam and is sucessful, wave your game goodbye. Blockland on Steam would be the dumbest loving thing Badspot could ever loving do. I think the community is already too big, it was perfectly fine in v12 when I joined, there weren't many dumbforgets out there and fun and good servers were plenty, at least in my opinion.

You think the community is too big now? Um, there's only like 500 people on each day. How is that too big?

You think the community is too big now? Um, there's only like 500 people on each day. How is that too big?

I've had experiences lately where I had a forgetton of dumb people and only a handful of good and decent players. Reviewing my post, too big may not apply but certainly the community got worse. That's only my thought and feel, of course.

i wouldn't think that lego would be happy if this happened

i wouldn't think that lego would be happy if this happened
Lego can't do stuff about it.

I bought this game was back when it was in version 8. Back then, my BLID (1897) was considered really high, and therefore I was a Bad Player. Due to this (as well as the community in general being stuff), I stopped playing Blockland.

I eventually came back way later, when a friend of mine showed me some of the cool things now possible in Blockland, like events and such.

I quickly discovered that people with BLIDs in the 10k region were considered the new gold standard of "Good Players", and that my BLID instantly meant that I was some sort of Blockland sage with years of experience under my belt. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that some of the best builders and members of the community were people with BLIDs that, back when I joined, would've been laughed at.

My point is that treating Blockland like your secret clubhouse is incredibly bullstuff, and trying to give pre-steam users some sort of extra privilege is really loving dumb.

Then again this community is so loving horrible I'm not surprised to see these suggestions
Quoting so the truest story ever may be preserved for future generations to observe.

Guys. Our community is insignificantly small. 30k players of which a thousand or two are active, even less so on the board. It is very unlikely that Blockland will explode into Minecraft-esque million player community. A hundred thousand players or so will not hurt this community.

Once Blockland hits Steam and is sucessful, wave your game goodbye. Blockland on Steam would be the dumbest loving thing Badspot could ever loving do. I think the community is already too big, it was perfectly fine in v12 when I joined, there weren't many dumbforgets out there and fun and good servers were plenty, at least in my opinion..

As someone who has played the game for 7 years I can tell you the community definitely hasn't gotten any worse. Somewhere between v12 and now you just became an starfish.

Steam workshop integration for Blockland would be awesome, on the other hand, with chat, screenshot sharing, clan management, and mods in the hands of Steam RTB doesn't have much left to do.

I don't see any reason why most stuff including authentication wouldn't work fine on steam as it is now. Integrating new steam features would require some work.

Somewhere between v12 and now you just became an starfish.
oh god lol