Author Topic: Starting a server should be disabled to the user if they haven't port-forwarded.  (Read 1673 times)

I'm just so sick of hosting a server, and nobody comes possibly because of the constant failing of my port-forwarding. There should be some kind of indication like this that hints the host that it's impossible for people to join their server when they start it because they haven't port-forwarded.

You could still start a single-player server, just not an internet server.

It would greatly help if this was default.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 05:11:25 AM by Isaac Fox »

Master server can check this.

Except that it's possible to host without port forwarding!

Did you happen to miss v14?

Sorry, but how does this work? How can the master server indicate this to the player?

Did you happen to miss v14?

I joined in v19. Was this feature in v14 or something?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 04:31:53 PM by Isaac Fox »

Horrible idea, would not let me start a server, let alone not let people that can join, join.

I joined in v19. Was this feature in v14 or something?

It was changed in v14 so people don't have to port forward to host.
Instead, it uses something called UPnP

Horrible idea, would not let me start a server, let alone not let people that can join, join.

But people won't be able to join your server anyway.

You could still start a single-player server, there just wouldn't be a point in starting a multiplayer server if no-one can join.

It was changed in v14 so people don't have to port forward to host.
Instead, it uses something called UPnP

What would happen if I deleted my router's port-forward settings for Blockland and adjusted my in-game UPnP?

But people won't be able to join your server anyway.

So I guess I was hallucinating those handfull of people who have joined my server at least once?

So I guess I was hallucinating those handfull of people who have joined my server at least once?

I don't think you understand what port-forwarding is.

I don't think you understand what port-forwarding is.
No, he's saying that you don't need to port forward. Just make sure that UPnP is enabled.

OR you could just port forward!

There are programs out there to test if your ports are open

There are programs out there to test if your ports are open
They can't test UDP ports.

I swear I've seen something that could test UDP ports.

/support

Sure, let them host LAN or Single Player, but prevent from Internet so that the server list doesn't get cluttered with the actual working servers. Like Kalphiter said