RTB Dedicated Hosting Service - Service Closing

Author Topic: RTB Dedicated Hosting Service - Service Closing  (Read 257174 times)

wow you're a detective, nice.
replying to things like this and then yelling at kalph later for starting it is annoying

it'd help if it didn't happen, even if the post is snarky. that's really not what this topic is for lol

Confirmed alt of Bolster.

I reported that post yesterday and I'm appalled that Ephialtes doesn't take moderation seriously.

It's not breaking any rules. Calm your tits

So, another little update. Waiting on Rub to sort out some styling for our new knowledge base page before I can launch that but I will be deploying a variety of big fixes at some point tonight (UTC) to fix a bunch of little things that have been bugging people - mainly;

- broken chat logs
- server chat page sometimes being incorrect
- fixed uptime precision for servers
- some backend fixes to add resiliency
- console logs not being "archived" when a server is force shut down
- character encoding weirdness for users with non-ASCII characters in their names (regarding the activity stream)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 02:00:37 PM by Ephialtes »

Is there any way to renew my server without buying another one? I'd like to keep all my addons stored and which ones are enabled.

Is there any way to renew my server without buying another one? I'd like to keep all my addons stored and which ones are enabled.

Yep - once there are 7 days left on your contract you'll get the option to renew it which will do exactly what you've said above.

Yep - once there are 7 days left on your contract you'll get the option to renew it which will do exactly what you've said above.
Awesome but is there a way to do it with more than 7 days on contract?

No - we try to keep all contracts as close to 3 months maximum and allowing people to renew more than a week away from expiry could potentially push them too far over a 3 month length of contract.

No - we try to keep all contracts as close to 3 months maximum and allowing people to renew more than a week away from expiry could potentially push them too far over a 3 month length of contract.
What's wrong with having more than 3 months?

We've decided it's a reasonable "notice period" in the event that the service was to ever discontinue. It's also an issue of cost if we were to ever discontinue the service because there's a possibility we'd be having to pay for a number of months of hosting to honor the contract of one person who had more months than anyone else. It's just a sensible precautionary measure to help mitigate unforeseen circumstances.

Rest assured though, there are no plans to close the service down while people are still finding it valuable and useful.

I'm going to assume something happened here, because this never happens.

(windows on the right are the text editor I was using, after they both became defunct.)

It only saved before line 1663. I have a backup of the entire thing but, what exactly happened to make all of that happen?

FTP can mess up if your connection isn't great. I'd recommend saving the file on your computer first, then transferring it to the server via FTP.

That's what I was doing though. FileZilla was even doing the same thing until I tried transferring it a couple of extra times.
Managed to restore it though.

Is there a way to stop messages from showing up under the server chat? In my CRP if a player enters 1 to withdraw from a bank it prints "Player: 1" in the server chat tab.

Request: persistent console log

It would be useful if the console log that we see when we click "Console" showed everything that happened since starting the server
For me it shows like the last 10 minutes or similar so when I need to look in the console to see what went wrong while I was sleeping I need to turn off the server to pull the console.log over with ftp to have the full thing.
So when will this happen

So when will this happen

This isn't such a trivial thing to do. You'll find even when hosting your own server there's a limit to how far you can scroll back. In terms of doing this in the web console, dumping hundreds of thousands of lines into your browser at once when you open your console if your server's been running for a while isn't going to play so well with your browser.

I can't say it's a priority to look at for the moment but it's something I'll definitely keep in mind. It may just end up being a button to download the current console.log or something.

Is there a way to stop messages from showing up under the server chat? In my CRP if a player enters 1 to withdraw from a bank it prints "Player: 1" in the server chat tab.

Not at the moment unless you want to edit the System_RTBHosting add-on yourself. Due to the packaging order it'll pretty much catch anything people say regardless of whether underlying packages decide not to call the parent.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 12:43:43 PM by Ephialtes »