[MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments

Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1310436 times)

Sounds pretty normal to me. Back when I was running my OS off a HDD it took about that long (sometimes longer) after I had used up 75% of my boot drive and had a couple of programs on startup.

I have a slower-than-average HDD and it takes me no more than 30 seconds to boot.

Does anyone have a good guide on how to set up a new SSD with your OS and maybe a few higher-use files? I just got a 250GB drive and I don't know whether I'll have to just installed Win8 again onto it and start from scratch or if I can partition my current HDD or something.

Does anyone have a good guide on how to set up a new SSD with your OS and maybe a few higher-use files? I just got a 250GB drive and I don't know whether I'll have to just installed Win8 again onto it and start from scratch or if I can partition my current HDD or something.
There really are only two options. Try to clean up your current drive and mirror it onto the SSD, or install fresh on the SSD. I did the latter since I couldn't get even close to having enough room on the SSD to mirror. After I had it installed on the SSD, I went ahead and changed the properties of the 'Documents', 'Music', and 'Pictures' libraries to just point to the locations on the old hard drive.

There really are only two options. Try to clean up your current drive and mirror it onto the SSD, or install fresh on the SSD. I did the latter since I couldn't get even close to having enough room on the SSD to mirror. After I had it installed on the SSD, I went ahead and changed the properties of the 'Documents', 'Music', and 'Pictures' libraries to just point to the locations on the old hard drive.
Yeah there's no way I'm mirroring my current HDD onto an SSD. Well this should be fun.

Have I mentioned I have really slow startup and shutdown times (usually takes around +5 minutes to start up/shut down)? I think it has to do with the HDD, but I am unsure.

Already ran an antivirus scan, found nothing at all. Help, please?

If that's five minutes to the desktop, then that's way slower than normal. Try to disable some unneccessary startup programs and see if it help, also try defragging your HDD.

If that's five minutes to the desktop, then that's way slower than normal. Try to disable some unneccessary startup programs and see if it help, also try defragging your HDD.
This

My PC is set to auto-defrag every Wednesday at 1am, I keep startup stuff to a minimum, and I keep my PC clean.
Take no more than a minute, if that, to start up. I timed it once and I think it took 20 seconds to do a full restart if you don't count the logging in part.

Yeah there's no way I'm mirroring my current HDD onto an SSD. Well this should be fun.
I'm going to do the same thing when I get my ssd.

Gonna start the purchasing of my build today.

I unfortunately blew through a lot of my paychecks so I can't buy the computer like I planned, also I raised my budget by $500 because forget it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XLJpNG

Purchasing the Case, Power supply, CD Drive and Keyboard. Might switch out to a different PSU if there's a nice deal going on.

Gonna start the purchasing of my build today.

I unfortunately blew through a lot of my paychecks so I can't buy the computer like I planned, also I raised my budget by $500 because forget it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XLJpNG

Purchasing the Case, Power supply, CD Drive and Keyboard. Might switch out to a different PSU if there's a nice deal going on.
Dude, buy that ssd soon, ya get Far Cry 4 for free.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 01:22:39 AM by Oasis »

That's a great deal, but I really don't trust myself storing sensitive parts for a couple months

That's a great deal, but I really don't trust myself storing sensitive parts for a couple months

SSD's will be fine pretty well no matter what. If you're worried then don't take it out of the packaging and put it in a cupboard or something

here's the new build list I put together:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($84.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($86.64 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($81.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280 3GB DirectCU II Video Card  ($179.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $473.59
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-01 08:02 EST-0500

I have like 550 dollars, and I really need a PSU, but I'm afraid I'm going to get one that's junk. what would you suggest?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 07:02:58 AM by hillkill »

Looking to get a motherboard that can support Intel cpus as I'm looking a new cpu. Any suggestions?

Please use uk distributors, not at home for a few hours so I can't give much info for a bit

here's the new build list I put together:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($84.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($86.64 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($81.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280 3GB DirectCU II Video Card  ($179.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $473.59
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-01 08:02 EST-0500

I have like 550 dollars, and I really need a PSU, but I'm afraid I'm going to get one that's junk. what would you suggest?
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/antec-power-supply-hcg620m
You're welcome

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Xm64ZL

Ok so this is my current build besides storage.

How do you guys think this would do on gta v at 768p resolution?