[MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments

Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1310729 times)

Build Update!

Finally all parts were successfully bought! Waiting for them all to arrive, but still not opening/assembling until Christmas/New Year's.

What I already have is listed below.

Color Scheme: Black and Red
Monitor: 32" HDTV
Speakers: Yes, two. (Creative Brand)
Head Set: Turtle Beach PX22

THE BUILD
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • MOBO: Asus H81M-D PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
  • RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
  • SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
  • HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
  • GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card
  • CASE: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case
  • PSU: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
  • ODD: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer
  • KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse

Total Cost: ~$750 (saved ~$150)
Future Updates: 4k Monitor, more fans, more LED's, whatever else I need.

My only dilemma is this build does not have a name! I will likely figure that out later with a topic creation displaying it in all its glory. Until then feel free to throw some out there and let me know what you think!

Guys, I got my SSD today.

I need to get an Intel LGA 1150 processor so I can use my better motherboard that has 6 GB/s SATA ports vs my current 3 GB/s. .-.

Should I get an i5 4460 or save for the 4670k? I'm tempted to go for the 4670k just so I can say my CPU is better than my brother's, but I don't know if I really need it.

Guys, I got my SSD today.

I need to get an Intel LGA 1150 processor so I can use my better motherboard that has 6 GB/s SATA ports vs my current 3 GB/s. .-.

Should I get an i5 4460 or save for the 4670k? I'm tempted to go for the 4670k just so I can say my CPU is better than my brother's, but I don't know if I really need it.
You don't really need it. I just went with the i5-4460 for my high-end budget build instead of the i5-4670k.

okay guys i hit a crossroads

Corsair Air 540      or      NZXT H440?

Go with the NZXT. That thing is beautiful; wish I had it and I have a NZXT 630.

I love the look and design of the H440, but I am inclined to go with the Air 540 because of it's amazing airflow

I've heard various things online saying the H440 somewhat restricts airflow, but i'm skeptical, because the other 90% says it is a beast.

By far, these are the two cases i've been seeing all over the place in new builds

I love the look and design of the H440, but I am inclined to go with the Air 540 because of it's amazing airflow

I've heard various things online saying the H440 somewhat restricts airflow, but i'm skeptical, because the other 90% says it is a beast.

By far, these are the two cases i've been seeing all over the place in new builds

Once you start getting into that price range for cases it becomes less about things like airflow and more about looks. Pick the case that YOU want to have sat on your desk brandishing your components for the entire world to marvel at.

If you're going to have it under your desk then you can go ahead and get any old pile of stuff you want though.

Hey guys, I think you can help me with a conundrum I have with my laptop charger
Sometimes, the battery icon on my desktop will display the battery picture to the one where its being charged, but then has a box that says that while its plugged in, its not charging. Somehow though, when this happens, its like theres no battery drain. I can sit for 2 hours and it will be at the same percentage.
Sometimes when this happens, after a few hours itll display that its actually charging the battery
ITT Charger cant decide if it wants to charge my battery or not

How many of the parts did you test and they work? If you're lucky only the PSU fried.
We only tested the PSU, it was fried and there was a couple of other components that looked fried.

The hard drive worked so we were able to save that.

Hey guys, I think you can help me with a conundrum I have with my laptop charger
Sometimes, the battery icon on my desktop will display the battery picture to the one where its being charged, but then has a box that says that while its plugged in, its not charging. Somehow though, when this happens, its like theres no battery drain. I can sit for 2 hours and it will be at the same percentage.
Sometimes when this happens, after a few hours itll display that its actually charging the battery
ITT Charger cant decide if it wants to charge my battery or not

Pull the battery out and blow off its contacts and the laptop's. That usually solves that.

My case just came today, and my PSU and Keyboard will be here shortly. God I can't wait to buy the rest.

My case smells soooooo good