Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1331861 times)

i wish i could get a VR headset for EVE: Valkyrie

1080s are already getting custom coolers. Scan is showing pre-orders for ASUS and MSI cards, amongst others, with custom coolers

I'm using EVGA's Step Up program to get a 1080 on the cheap
Wooo

i wish i could get a VR headset for EVE: Valkyrie

seems pretty overhyped to me

i mean, sure, it'd be cool for like 2 days or so to fly around and shoot stuff in vr but it's just not that deep of a game

I am unsure how to go about moving to windows 10
right now I have 8.1 on my SSD. I have another, much larger hard drive, which is where I want windows 10 to end up, so I can put linux on my SSD, which I will use most of the time. obviously, I don't have a product key for windows 10. how am I gonna do this
the media creation tool page seems to imply that I will be able to use my windows 8.1 product key to install it
but... I don't have a window 8.1 product key. my key is for windows 8, and I updated to 8.1
pls can someone confirm whether or not that will work, or provide an alternative way to do it

im waiting a littttle bit longer to buy a 1080 classified.
in hopes that maybe the new titan or 1080ti (both confirmed)
will fall within step up lol

I am unsure how to go about moving to windows 10
right now I have 8.1 on my SSD. I have another, much larger hard drive, which is where I want windows 10 to end up, so I can put linux on my SSD, which I will use most of the time. obviously, I don't have a product key for windows 10. how am I gonna do this
the media creation tool page seems to imply that I will be able to use my windows 8.1 product key to install it
but... I don't have a window 8.1 product key. my key is for windows 8, and I updated to 8.1
pls can someone confirm whether or not that will work, or provide an alternative way to do it
Did your Windows 8.1 come as an OEM install when you got your SSD?
I managed to install Windows 10 from an OEM install of Windows 7 without a product key
Also, if it wont let you install without a product key, find your key and make sure its for the same edition of windows as the one you are installing IE Windows 7 Home/ Windows 8 Home -> Windows 10 home will work, but Windows 7 Home/Windows 8 Home -> Windows 10 Enterprise wont work
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 06:55:58 PM by Becquerel »

Did your Windows 8.1 come as an OEM install when you got your SSD?
I managed to install Windows 10 from an OEM install of Windows 7 without a product key
Also, if it wont let you install without a product key, find your key and make sure its for the same edition of windows as the one you are installing IE Windows 7 Home/ Windows 8 Home -> Windows 10 home will work, but Windows 7 Home/Windows 8 Home -> Windows 10 Enterprise wont work
no, I have a windows 8 product key, which I used to install windows 8, and then updated that to 8.1
I would expect windows 8 and 8.1 keys to be basically equivalent, but you can't tell with microsoft. most other websites seem to say that windows 8 keys will work

no, I have a windows 8 product key, which I used to install windows 8, and then updated that to 8.1
I would expect windows 8 and 8.1 keys to be basically equivalent, but you can't tell with microsoft. most other websites seem to say that windows 8 keys will work
Yeah I saw the same on sites like Toms Hardware. Its been a long time since I did any installation with Win10 so I dont know much of the install process now. Id atleast give it a try. Also, are you doing an UPGRADE or a Clean install? I think the Upgrade choice is the one that uses the key from your previous install to upgrade, which requires that you still have the windows 8.1 OS still running while its installing. If your doing a clean install, I think thats where itll ask you for a key. This is all speculation so I would ask someone else for help

trying to do a clean install
this quote is from that page I linked

"If you haven’t upgraded to Windows 10 yet and perform a clean installation, you’ll need to enter a qualifying product key for Windows 7, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 or buy a license in order to activate Windows 10."

when I do it, windows 8.1 will still be on the SSD. I just won't be installing it to the same drive, so I doubt it'll be looking there for product information
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 09:11:13 PM by Foxscotch »

Good thing I'm saving up for it.
When is the 1070 supposed come out?

the 10th

I did it !! ! ! ! !!!
and it doesn't seem to be trying to tell me anything about, registering this copy of windows, or anything like that, so I think it worked fine. however for some reason I can't seem to access the user files for my old installation of windows, so I guess I'll have to boot to that a few more times to get my files from it

honestly, I think it's pretty nice. the task bar is very..... black. which is good. and so far most things seem pretty customizable which I can definitely get behind
not to mention that the ui is  p e r f

edit: for some reason I can now in fact see the files from old windows. not sure what that was all about but okie dokie
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 08:32:06 AM by Foxscotch »

Hey guys
I need some help with my audio drivers
The situation is: Both of my audio output jacks were busted in an accident, leaving the microphone as the only jack that works, and I use Realtek for the drivers. Ive seen people be able to "Assign" jacks from their standard connections (See here for more: https://www.reaper-x.com/2012/02/13/how-to-remap-retasking-realtek-onboard-jacks-ports/ )
Messing with the registry is something I dont want to risk taking and for some reason, the Realtek HD Audio manager is completely missing: not in Control panel, in the Driver folder, in the taskbar, absolutely like it doesnt exist, Latest drivers installed or not
If this is impossible, then damn