[MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments

Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1310658 times)

The EVGA FTW3 (this one comes in white too and there is a hybrid FTW3 with a built in AIO cooler version) and GB Aorus Xtreme are both pretty cards, I remember reading about good temps with the GB

for a mostly white case check out if theres stock of KFA2 1080ti cards, some models come in white variants, KFA2 cards supposedly clock real well if you're into that, but I don't know much else about the brand

Inno3D cards are same company that makes Manli and Zotac cards, so ok

Mainly I would just avoid the stock blower style coolers, they generally run slightly hotter and louder
The EVGA FTW3 is a hunderd euros more expensive on top of the thousand euros I already paid and I heard the GB Aorus Xtreme has a pretty flimsy cooler and is also an additional 75 or so euros.
Inno3D's are relatively "cheap" but they look p stuffty ngl. The 4X ultra is actually slightly faster than the armor tho.

decisions decisions. I can also just spray paint the cooler I guess.

EDIT: Mailed them to change my order to the inno3d one. forget it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 11:04:42 AM by espio100 »

Can I flash a mobo without a cpu?

depends on the motherboard, some have the ability to flash off usb

also desktop;

« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 08:01:06 AM by Anybody »

Woot I got a i5 2500s from hardwareswap for only 20 bucks shipped

ebic

I'll be using this https://pcpartpicker.com/product/c2DzK8/msi-b350-pc-mate-atx-am4-motherboard-b350-pc-mate

I can't find anything at all about whether I can or not

from the manual for this mb it states you need to either post to bios to initiate flashing, or use the live bios update tool (booting to OS), so no you can not update the bios on this board without a cpu

but from the FAQ for the board i was able to find this;

if its for some reason absolutely necessary feature to update the bios without a cpu they do have a board for that

from the manual for this mb it states you need to either post to bios to initiate flashing, or use the live bios update tool (booting to OS), so no you can not update the bios on this board without a cpu

but from the FAQ for the board i was able to find this;

if its for some reason absolutely necessary feature to update the bios without a cpu they do have a board for that
In that case any suggestion for a new mobo (and maybe a new apu as well) that isn't a huge change in performance and price and will allow me to update without a cpu?

why do you need to update it, especially without a cpu?

cpuless updating is a feature mainly found in the highest tier enthusiasts boards (read: expensive)
on asus boards usually identified as "usb bios flashback" and GB boards "qflash plus" for example
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 05:10:57 PM by Anybody »

why do you need to update it, especially without a cpu?

cpuless updating is a feature mainly found in the highest tier enthusiasts boards (read: expensive)
on asus boards usually identified as "usb bios flashback" and GB boards "qflash plus" for example
The board can support the APU but only with an update and I don't feel like going through the hassle of getting a loaner cpu

AMD offers a "boot kit" (older AM4 cpu) to update the BIOS with. https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/2Gen-Ryzen-AM4-System-Bootup.aspx (scroll to the bottom)
Or you can ask the seller if they could update the bios, or if it already has been updated before they even ship the board.
Or just take it a local retailer, they'll certainly update it for you for a small fee.

ooo

did you get the other parts yet? love to see it all put together

ooo

did you get the other parts yet? love to see it all put together
Yeah, this one came last.
Will post pics sooner or later

is there an i7 core with more than six cores

also would a six-core processor make for a good workstation pc

is there an i7 core with more than six cores

also would a six-core processor make for a good workstation pc
A core i7-extreme. But id suggest a Ryzen over an intel if its for a workstation. Especially if it utilised all cores. Normally a quadcore will be good enough if you pair it with a fast gpu if you need to render stuff.

Also funfact: My gpu came with a sticker that said that the warranty will be void if I used it to mine crypto, lel