Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1309650 times)

Thanks for the advice, I just like making sure so I have 100% compatible parts down to the connectors and drivers & such. Well I have a ATI 9550 extreme (?) and it cannot run shaders (on BL) nor minecraft at far(? is that CPU dependant?). I'll also check those cards out thank you once again.

ok 7970 it is :D
that gpu is kinda old. i wouldn't be surprised if your motherboard bottlenecked, if it's as old as the card

Cheap 1920x1080 monitor?

that gpu is kinda old. i wouldn't be surprised if your motherboard bottlenecked, if it's as old as the card
well if the motherboard has an AM3+ socket with a fx8350, i doubt it'll bottleneck
in this case the biggest problem would be the power supply and case size

zacks, make sure you have more than a 500w power supply as a 7970 probably draws power equivalent to a ocean liner
and that card is huge, it might not even fit

So my older brother has given me his old computer, it has an i5 running at 4 Ghz, but the GPU it came with is a Amd5something, but i have two old 4890 and one GTX 280 so what better to run, crossfire the 4890 or the GTX 280?

If you're getting a 7970, just get a R9 280X when it comes out. It's 30 dollars less and the only thing worse than the 7970 ghz edition is the maximum boost clock (by a tiny bit)

If you want more power, go to a 770. I don't know why you would specify a $400 dollar budget and then exclude yourself from "expensive nvidia cards" like the 770

i found a 320GB western digital scorpio blue at the recycling plant yesterday, would this thing be good for storage?

I've been meaning to ask, why does my 1TB HDD show it only has 931gb total?

Just wondering, is a virtual machine a piece of software that allows you to run a computer system in your computer system?

I want to look back at some old windows operating systems, so you use a virtual machine to do so?

Just wondering, is a virtual machine a piece of software that allows you to run a computer system in your computer system?

I want to look back at some old windows operating systems, so you use a virtual machine to do so?
Yes

i found a 320GB western digital scorpio blue at the recycling plant yesterday, would this thing be good for storage?
5400rpm? not bad but not great. it's SATA so it should work on modern mobos
I've been meaning to ask, why does my 1TB HDD show it only has 931gb total?
for some reason, advertised terabytes are different than storage terabytes.
http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/23890-hdd-s-advertized-size-vs-actual-size.html

If you're getting a 7970, just get a R9 280X when it comes out. It's 30 dollars less and the only thing worse than the 7970 ghz edition is the maximum boost clock (by a tiny bit)

If you want more power, go to a 770. I don't know why you would specify a $400 dollar budget and then exclude yourself from "expensive nvidia cards" like the 770
I'll check out the R9 280X thanks.
I usually find Nvidia expensive and you got to pay more money for the power so I didn't know the 770 was more powerful.

I'm going with the R9 280X, thanks.

well if the motherboard has an AM3+ socket with a fx8350, i doubt it'll bottleneck
in this case the biggest problem would be the power supply and case size

zacks, make sure you have more than a 500w power supply as a 7970 probably draws power equivalent to a ocean liner
and that card is huge, it might not even fit
What case would I need for it? I'm using an corsair obsidian ATX.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 09:36:10 AM by Zacks »

5400rpm? not bad but not great. it's SATA so it should work on modern mobos
3200RPM. it was made in 2010, ill probably install it, its designed for a laptop though, 2.5 inch. ive already used my 2.5 inch adapter though..

What case would I need for it? I'm using an corsair obsidian ATX.
oh, it should probably be fine