Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1309571 times)

I mean it looks the coolest.
ffs look at this
Wheres the RAM?

Wheres the RAM?

Right above the PSU, pretty hard too see, two sticks.

Right above the PSU, pretty hard too see, two sticks.
Oh, there it is.
Thanks.

well it would t matter if the fans were damaged in the oil. because they serve no purpose anyways Lol.
can't blow air and cool off hardware with air, when you are submerged.

well it would t matter if the fans were damaged in the oil. because they serve no purpose anyways Lol.
can't blow air and cool off hardware with air, when you are submerged.
This. Mineral oil is meant to be pumped through, with a heatsink or something similar to cool it off in a resevoir. It's used in a lot of warehouse network applications because companies can save a lot of money by putting entire racks of routers into a single cooling loop. The biggest problem with mineral oil in more modest applications is that the stuff is absolutely disgusting. If silicon oil is anything to judge by, it gets everywhere and you can't wipe it off without chemical cleaners. I'm sure price is a big disadvantage too, but I've never bought mineral oil before so I wouldn't really know.

yeah a few drops of mineral oil will takes months to dry out.
only soaps and dry wiping can remove it from stuff. basically not an option for computer hardware.

once it becomes an oil PC, that's its life purpose lol

If you completely submerged a PC the convection in the fluid itself would probably be enough to keep it cool.

What's so bad about it?

You are never ever ever getting that mineral oil off of those components. They will forever be coated in slimy mineral oil. It also has like 0 benefit over liquid or even conventional air cooling. Not to mention if it ever spills your room is going to be disgusting as forget for a long long time. It's also kind of expensive to fill up an aquarium.

I mean it looks cool but it's really just not that great of an idea.

yeah a few drops of mineral oil will takes months to dry out.
only soaps and dry wiping can remove it from stuff. basically not an option for computer hardware.

once it becomes an oil PC, that's its life purpose lol

exactly

BUMP

Need help: My GTX 670 4GB FTW+  wont overclock anymore, I use EVGA Precision X and it used to overclock to around 1215MHz while in ArmA II under a heavy load, no it wont exceed 810MHz, like...ever.. I have tried increasing the clock speed and power% but it just wont do anything, seriously, what the forget is happening? All my FPS is suffering because of this.

could it be because the software automatically downclocks the card based on temps?
post your temps right after playing Arma 2 on heavy load for an hour

could it be because the software automatically downclocks the card based on temps?
post your temps right after playing Arma 2 on heavy load for an hour
50C.

how much is the 670 4g right now?
and what can it do to some of the best games right now.
Cruz I been looking at the 700 series for a card but the specs don't seem much better

Cruz I been looking at the 700 series for a card but the specs don't seem much better
It's pretty good, I used to get around 90FPS on ArmA II on top settings, but my card wont loving overclock for some reason and my FPS is down the drain.

Around $460
I have it and its a kickass card, runs borderlands 2 on max settings wonderfully (however I have not done a fps test with this game) It can run metro last light on all max settings except for tessellation which I have at like minimum ( with tessellation on max settings it achieves about 13-18 fps which is pretty good for how demanding tessellation is on that game) . Due note that running tessellation on high with everything else in metro last light would require at the very least a dual card setup, a 690, or a titan to achieve a good frame rate in that game.

It can run supreme commander forged alliance, alien swarm, planetside 2, world of tanks, borderlands 2, sins of a solar empire rebellion, demigods, command and conquer kane's wrath, planetary annihilation, fallout new vegas, X3 terran conflict, perimeter 2, mass effect 1-3, left for dead 2, hawken, skyrim with high res texture mod, and unreal tournament 3 on max settings with good stable frame rates. I have no experience with other games.  

It's pretty good, I used to get around 90FPS on ArmA II on top settings, but my card wont loving overclock for some reason and my FPS is down the drain.
Overclocking the 600 series is a bit tricky because the cards automatically overclock themselves to a degree when needed. Even trickier is overclocking an already overclocked card. The card has a built-in temperature monitor and will most likely warn you or downclock itself to prevent it frying itself due to heat, however the card is not made to handle temperatures hotter than 95C. The 50C would not be causing his card to downclock. Most likely its has to do with something you set with the overclock software, try and reset it to default and see if the problem persists.

(Most of this is based on your other specs as well, a cheap cpu will of course affect your fps if it bottlenecks your card)
My specs:

Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core (OC'd to 4.2 gigglehertz)
Arctic Cooling UCACO-P0900-CSB01 Fluid Dynamic Bearing
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Something something 64GB SSD (OS is housed on this drive)
EVGA GeForce GTX 670 4GB
Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower
Corsair 700W ATX12V
Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer
Microsoft Windows 8 Full (64-bit)

Link to the card and its specifications: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4501135&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&utm_source=Linkshare&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=8BacdVP0GFs&AffiliateID=8BacdVP0GFs-o62ZnBoH5x.KaEqgX0ql9w
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 11:47:36 AM by Emo Freak »