Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1286358 times)

cases keep parts safe from bumping, shaking appart, electric static.
and the extra fans are useful in keeping it cool.

but you could get by without one if you are very careful lol.

So I bought every part I needed to build a new computer and stuff, but I didn't have enough for a case at the time so I thought I'd be alright without a case for a bit

I'm seeing pictures of caseless setups that are pretty much just sitting on top of cardboard. Is that alright to do for now?
I do plan on getting a case eventually, this is only just temporary.

(also how would you power it on this still confuses me)
Well I guess if you really wanted to, you could turn a cardboard box into a case.

Well I guess if you really wanted to, you could turn a cardboard box into a case.

I did it before, it's super easy. I used a cardboard box for the whole case, I cut some holes into it for the I/O shield, the disc drive, the back of the PSU, and some vents that I put a spare 230mm fan on. In the bottom I layered everything besides the mobo. Then I got another piece of cardboard and cut it to size for the box. Punched some holes around the edge to line up where the standoffs would screw in. Zip tied it to the piece of cardboard and then plugged it all together. I didn't have a spare gpu so I didn't bother with that.

Overall it ran pretty cool, but that was probably because of the giant 230mm fan sitting on top blowing tons of air through it.

I did it before, it's super easy. I used a cardboard box for the whole case, I cut some holes into it for the I/O shield, the disc drive, the back of the PSU, and some vents that I put a spare 230mm fan on. In the bottom I layered everything besides the mobo. Then I got another piece of cardboard and cut it to size for the box. Punched some holes around the edge to line up where the standoffs would screw in. Zip tied it to the piece of cardboard and then plugged it all together. I didn't have a spare gpu so I didn't bother with that.

Overall it ran pretty cool, but that was probably because of the giant 230mm fan sitting on top blowing tons of air through it.

Do you have a picture of this ghetto-fabulous contraption?

Would be nice to see something I could possibly fork off of.

-imgsnip-

Nah this was like at least 2 years ago. I just slapped it together because I had an extra computer that wasn't being used for anything.

Would be nice to see something I could possibly fork off of.

Have you even googled "cardboard box computer", because there are like thousands of results for it.

Mine was like that except my box was just big enough to fit the mobo. So I had everything sitting on the bottom, then glued some ridges into the box and set a sheet of cardboard for the mobo to sit on. For the lid I cut a hole in it and screwed a fan to it.

Have you even googled "cardboard box computer", because there are like thousands of results for it.
I have yeah, I just don't know what would be the best setup.
I was just going to place the motherboard on top of its box and have the hard drive and PSU beside the box.

make one in woodshop.

every other kid is just making bongs and key racks in that class.

You could have waited just a little longer, a good case only cost like $40

Mineral oil computer cooled is coolest plus I've seen people have their parts on the side of their desk, pretty cool
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 04:19:21 PM by Nal »

Mineral oil computer cooled is coolest plus I've seen people have their parts on the side of their desk, pretty cool

Mineral oil is a terrible awful idea for any computer that isn't a joke, and putting it on your desk is a pain in the ass.

bro is getting a 570 for me for 150 from his friend
he has 480 (got for free)
proud to be american

Mineral oil is a terrible awful idea for any computer that isn't a joke, and putting it on your desk is a pain in the ass.
I mean it looks the coolest.

ffs look at this
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 05:14:20 PM by Nal »

What's so bad about it?

What's so bad about it?
Probably for the fans. Fans are meant to run unhindered, mineral oil is viscus and would make the fan have to work harder to sustain its normal RPM. I'm just guessing though. Also i'm not sure about mineral oil's ability to conduct electricity, and I certainly wouldn't want any form of liquid in the spaces between motherboard components. However if it does actually work and you get some nice fans, and some form of cooling for the water, you should not have any heat worries.