Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1310762 times)

someone find me a pc with the NVIDIA GTX 660 graphics card plz

all hardware comes stock at like 50% its real power. its to allow plenty of space for accidental overages, and avoid forget ups, and the company can avoid tons of factory warranties being used.

a smart pc user wants to use that hidden power. but you need a slightly bigger power supply, and very good cooling. the only 2 limits to pushing hardware harder (other then parts bottlenecking each other, technically you can still overclock them, but you wont feel the extra power)

or just build a computer with a 660?

we're not your google slaves. feel free to ask for help, but it's not hard to google "prebuilt "gtx660""

i still don't understand how he can have 4C still. unless his room temperature is 4C or lower, or he has liquid cooling, that's impossible as far as I can tell. (fans don't create cold air, they displace hot air, so even a 100% efficient cooling fan setup cant go below the room temp, right?)

we're not your google slaves. feel free to ask for help, but it's not hard to google "prebuilt "gtx660""
ok sorry then

i still don't understand how he can have 4C still. unless his room temperature is 4C or lower, or he has liquid cooling, that's impossible as far as I can tell. (fans don't create cold air, they displace hot air, so even a 100% efficient cooling fan setup cant go below the room temp, right?)
All we truly know is that the PC is very cool. And the room temp here is REALLY low usually. At least in the 40s-50s

All we truly know is that the PC is very cool. And the room temp here is REALLY low usually. At least in the 40s-50s
i grossly misunderestimated celsius. it turns out that 4C is 39F. believable.

The "dangerous low" point for a CPU is somewhere around -150C to -200C, but rapid changes in temperature can really mess it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_cooling#Liquid_helium
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 02:27:13 AM by Axo-Tak »

i tried disabling all of the fans on my computer to see what the  temperature difference is. 4c higher on the cpu, no difference on chipset, 2c difference on the gpu. this was also while i was playing arma 3. lolfans.

i tried disabling all of the fans on my computer to see what the  temperature difference is. 4c higher on the cpu, no difference on chipset, 2c difference on the gpu. this was also while i was playing arma 3. lolfans.
this is probably a lie

this is probably a lie
nope. the processor and GPU was already running at room temperature. i probably got these results becuase im using an aftermarket cooler on one of the lower end i5 processors, and a 7770.

uh

unless you have a $100 heatsink that's not possible, especially while putting it under load

if you don't believe me go on YouTube and look at any video titled 'running cpu without fan/heatsink'

a heatsink does little to nothing if a fan isn't pulling the air to be dispersed

In a laptop? Are you serious?
Now that I've think about it, it's an extremely low chance that the external PSU overvolted the system. Don't check for popped caps.

Checksum errors probably mean that the computer has a corrupt BIOS and that it should be re-flashed. I'm not sure what "CMOS checksum" is, though.

The battery you bought might be a different voltage than the stock battery.

So I bought every part I needed to build a new computer and stuff, but I didn't have enough for a case at the time so I thought I'd be alright without a case for a bit

I'm seeing pictures of caseless setups that are pretty much just sitting on top of cardboard. Is that alright to do for now?
I do plan on getting a case eventually, this is only just temporary.

(also how would you power it on this still confuses me)